Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

dallison

registered pw

I know the feeling. I went on a 7.5 mile bike ride and walked about 2 miles today. It's funny how certain things ache and then you wonder what is happening. I have a very fast walk which is about 4 mph and sometimes i have to slow it down a little bit. I still do about 20-30 min of pt stretches a night.

This past winter up until surgery, i had done a lot more conditioning to make myself stronger. i also ran up until the day before surgery. Everything was much stronger and i believe that it may have helped me with a  somewhat quicker recovery.

I hiked a little over 6 miles (2 hours) today.  It was hard to tell how things were feeling, since I still have some lingering DOMS from PT.  I think my joint may have gotten a little achy toward the end - it was hard to tell.  Could just have been an adductor acting up too.  I don't feel too different just sitting here at home now, so I'll take that as a good sign.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

KathyL

Hi Everyone,

I have my surgery scheduled for June 18th. This site has been so helpful! I'm feeling a lot better about the whole process. Any advice on getting strong prior to surgery and crutch use? I have started doing some ab work with a ball, bridges, squats, push ups? Anything else I should be doing?

Hip Redux

Hi Everyone,

I have my surgery scheduled for June 18th. This site has been so helpful! I'm feeling a lot better about the whole process. Any advice on getting strong prior to surgery and crutch use? I have started doing some ab work with a ball, bridges, squats, push ups? Anything else I should be doing?

A lot of it will depend on how limited you are pre-surgery.  Are you still running?

This was the basic stuff on my list.  I had to stop impact work though, and I am limited by my back with things like squats.

glute/hip work - lateral walks w/band, hip bridges including one leg bridges, clam shells, hip work with cables like this but in all directions (forward, side, side, back): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvnR8CDb4BU, wall sits
        Pull ups, push ups, dips (these are good practice for crutching around!), basic upper body weights

Elliptical or spin bike for cardio, some rowing, some aqua jogging, and cycling when the weather got better

Prince of Fatness

Do you guys feel like you're injury prone aside from this?

I didn't until about 4 years ago when all of my problems started.  I still would not say that I am injury prone, but rather I have imbalance and compensation issues that I have yet to completely solve.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Hi Everyone,

I did a lot of what you have here.  Lunges, one legged squats, bridges, hamstring curls, clam shells, pushups.  Any balancing work would be good, too.  From the feedback I have received at PT my core strength was good going into surgery and it has been helpful during recovery, so I think it is worth doing this stuff.

Not at it at all. 

loras

Here's an update from the Debridement Camp. Things are going better than I could have ever thought.  I was on "light duty" for the first two weeks and now this week at PT I am doing squats, leg lifts and more strength building exercises. I spent a lot of time walking and gardening this weekend and things are feeling great. The pains I had before surgery are gone.  My leg is just feeling a little weaker than the other prob mostly due to the psoas release, but definitely manageable.  I have also been cleared to do a step class by Saturday as long as I promise to keep it low impact. I need cardio so bad!!!! I am going a little nutty without it. I have only been working on upper body at the gym up until now, so it's good to be getting back to normal. (Plus my clothes are getting a little tight! ack!)

The only down side I have is that one of my incisions feels like bee stings or a hot poker when it touches things. It's almost like a nerve pain rather than an incision pain.  Anybody else have this?

Hope you all are having a wonderful spring day!

Lora

Hip Redux

Lora - didn't you have surgery the same day as I did?  May 2nd?   Holy toledo!

Also - look up bursitis symptoms.  Seems that can be very painful to the touch. Could it be that you have that going on, and it's just near the incision?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

At my last follow up, my surgeon was saying that there was a nerve near the incisions and wanted to make sure that I wasn't having any issues there.  So it wouldn't surprise me if it was a nerve issue, Lora.  Also, I am amazed at how different a debridement vs a repair is.  We were all still on crutches at 2 weeks with repairs!

I have had some VERY slight aching in my joint today.  I mean, very very small.  I don't know if I overdid it this weekend or what.  But I'll try to take it a little easier this week.  I meet with my surgeon for my 12 week (ish) follow up on Thursday!!!

Running is dumb.

loras

Yes Oski, we had surgery on the same day-May 2nd. Debridement vs Repair is very different in terms of recovery.  I technically could walk right after the surgery, although it was very painful so I used crutches. But was completely off them in 3 days.  I am actually very happy that my labrum was beyond repair (and that I am too old) and that debridement was my alternative. I am so amazed with how fast things are healing and how quickly I can see positive results from the surgery.  I am beginning to realize that I may have to change my exercise habits some if I am to stay as active as I want to be for the long term.

MadisonMandy - It totally feels like a nerve issue at one of my incisions. I have 2 incisions. The other one is completely fine.  It doesn't feel like a normal pain from a cut or incision. it's more like an electric shock or 100 bee stings. Hopefully it will calm down. I mentioned it to the physicians assistant at my one week follow up, but it was so soon after the surgery she kind of dismissed it.  I will definitely mention it at my next appt in June.

KathyL

Thanks for the advice Oski and Mr. Finn. I have been doing a lot of what you suggested but added clam shells and bought some bands. I'm so bummed this week. Had a cortisone shot with my contrasting MRI 5 weeks ago. Hip felt much worse for the first week, then improved to 100% pain free. Got to walk 2-3 miles most days. It was great to be moving again!  A couple of days ago, the pain all came back. No more walks, the dog is bummed.

Hip Redux

That's good though Kathy - at least you know for sure the hip is the cause of the issues!  I didn't get any cortisone and my hip KILLED after my MRI.  Bah.

Went back to work today.   I officially went back on a PT basis on Monday but I worked from home Mon/Tue.  Thankfully I only had to be in today because it just about wore me out.  WHY is my desk so far from the front door?  lol  I get to work from home next week as well, except for Wednesday and then we'll have to see what my schedule will be.

dallison

registered pw

lol, that's what i had thought too. It takes a great deal of effort to get anywhere.

Went back to work today.   I officially went back on a PT basis on Monday but I worked from home Mon/Tue.  Thankfully I only had to be in today because it just about wore me out.  WHY is my desk so far from the front door?  lol  I get to work from home next week as well, except for Wednesday and then we'll have to see what my schedule will be.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

Totally!  And they had cake for me and I had to crutch walk to the far conference room.  How about we just eat it here? Lol

lol, that's what i had thought too. It takes a great deal of effort to get anywhere.

Hip Redux

OH!  And how could I forget... I was cleared to drop down to one crutch in the house!!    HOORAY for carrying my food on my own!

Prince of Fatness

OH!  And how could I forget... I was cleared to drop down to one crutch in the house!!    HOORAY for carrying my food on my own!

Nice!  Having a free hand makes a big difference.

6 weeks today for me.  More PT.  Doing more balancing stuff.  Started with some planks. Lots of core work.  The did an evaluation earlier this week as I see the surgeon Tuesday.

I am starting to feel more normal.  Stairs are easier.  I find at times that I have to remember to take it easy.  I am taking 15 minute walks each day along with the core exercises that they gave to me. Gonna increase the duration of the walking as long as my leg doesn't mind.  Gotta see when I can take the bike out and take it for a ride.

Not at it at all.