New shoes or same shoes?? (Read 810 times)

Hey everyone, I want some opinions on shoes. I wear the Asics GT 2110 & love them! Comfortable, no blisters, no leg issues, etc. Logic would say to get the same ones, right? But, if you wander these boards often, you know that I've been having some horrible back pain issues. I know the shoes aren't to blame, as I've had these problems for a couple of years (resulting from horse related incidents, not running), but I'm wondering if I shouldn't get something with more support? I finally saw my doctor yesterday about my back. She worked on it for an hour & said I'm a general mess. I'm to see her monthly, maybe more depending on how I feel over the weekend. She said that there was alot of "impact" related stuff going on. She did give me the all-clear to run & ride, though she casually commented that she might as well clear me since runners & horse people don't listen well anyways & someone will have to pay for her son's college!! Wink I don't know any runners like that, do you guys?? Blush So, keep the shoes I love since I know they aren't the cause of the back problem, or try different shoes that won't fix things but maybe would not make things as bad?? Thanks for any opinions... Eryn
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It can't hurt to go to Gazelle and see what their take is. They seem pretty knowledgable. You need a new pair, anyhow, so they can help you decide if the same model is what you need, or if something entirely different might work better. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

If your back issue's aren't from overpronating I would stay with what your using. Running in shoes that are overstablizing can cause other problems. Have you ever been to a running store and had your stride evaluated?

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

JakeKnight

Back pain seems to be going around! As for the shoes question .... why not *try* a new pair? I mean, what's the downside? Worst case scenario, it doesn't help. Actually, worst case scenario would be you get new shoes, hate them badly, and take a blow torch to them while cackling madly. Evil grin But I'm assuming you pick the shoes carefully here. Big grin So worst case - it doesn't help. Best case, you got a nice new pair of shoes and a very cheap solution to your back pain. I'd sure as heck start with the shoes. Can't hurt. And out of curiousity, how do you *know* it's not the shoes?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Wingz

Professional Noob

Well, no, worst case scenario is that the new shoes cause *another* problem. But I'm guessing you'd notice something amiss before that. And hey, I'm always in favor of getting new shoes when there's *any* problem. But if you've got a model that's working for you, why not just get a new pair of the same model?

Roads were made for journeys...

JakeKnight

Well, no, worst case scenario is that the new shoes cause *another* problem. But I'm guessing you'ld notice something amiss before that. And hey, I'm always in favor of getting new shoes when there's *any* problem. But if you've got a model that's working for you, whynot just get a new pair of the same model?
              And this brings me back to my question - how does she "know" it's not the shoes? Has she been running for years on the same model without a problem? In that case, probably not much reason to try another pair. Or are her shoes whispering to her late at night in ancient Aramaic, from underneath the bed? Because if that's how she knows, perhaps trading in the demonic possessed shoes would be an option. Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

And this brings me back to my question - how does she "know" it's not the shoes? Has she been running for years on the same model without a problem? In that case, probably not much reason to try another pair. Or are her shoes whispering to her late at night in ancient Aramaic, from underneath the bed? Because if that's how she knows, perhaps trading in the demonic possessed shoes would be an option. Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin
                Well, I have heard some voices lately, some coming from under the bed.... Evil grin But my husband just says, "swallow this pill honey, it will all be better soon"... Confused Yes Seriously though, I've had the back problem for several years now, before I started running much again. It doesn't matter if I wear my good ol' shit kickin' cowboy boots, my come hither heels or my Asics GT2110's, my back hurts. And despite the fact that my shoes are demonic & tell me to do things like run when injured, I love them!! I see their little silver stripes & pretty blue accents & am comforted by the fact that they will carry me out onto the backroads for an hour of peace, meditation & reflection (as long as they don't start whispering in tongues...that really screws up the reflection/meditation thing).
                  If your back issue's aren't from overpronating I would stay with what your using. Running in shoes that are overstablizing can cause other problems. Have you ever been to a running store and had your stride evaluated?
                  Yep, bought my current Asics from a wonderful running store!!

Now that was a bath...

We have the same shoes. I can't believe how light they are! Mine are the ASICS GT 2110 White Lady - my disco shoes! Of course they don't look very lady like on my huge size 11 feet but they were the only running shoes I found that were really comfy. I will let you know how I go with them! Claire xxx
                  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                    Jeffrey

Road Runner Sports lets you exchange shoes within 60 days of purchase. They call it a "perfect fit guarantee" and it might allow you to experiment a little without going broke. Big grin
                      Hey everyone, I want some opinions on shoes.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, Eryn is away hunting and for Thanksgiving, but I can update for her. She found a good deal on her previous shoes at the same place that I was able to return a pair to within 90 days (onlineshoes.com). So she got the same model in a new color--orange! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay