Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

NaderAlfie,

Can you please add my name to the list. I know it is late and looking at my log seems impossible but I need a challenge for the year.

Background update: Was running consistently in 2009 with a half marathon time of 1:36:XX whilst training for first marathon. Unfortunately was studying for some rather expensive exams and running took a backseat. Now having just completed a week of very slow running am excited to be back on the wagon.

Will find an event towards the end of the year and let you know. Thanks

Dwane

Good man, Dr. Dwane.  Dr. Rumpelstiltskin Bradford (drrbradford) put first things first, and now just look at how fast he is. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

kcam

NaderAlfie,

Can you please add my name to the list. I know it is late and looking at my log seems impossible but I need a challenge for the year.

Background update: Was running consistently in 2009 with a half marathon time of 1:36:XX whilst training for first marathon. Unfortunately was studying for some rather expensive exams and running took a backseat. Now having just completed a week of very slow running am excited to be back on the wagon.

Will find an event towards the end of the year and let you know. Thanks

Dwane

Hey Dwane - glad to see you back out there slogging it out with the rest of us.  Good luck! 

Back from Rotorua.  First things first - I didn't manage it. But here is my race report anyway.

Prerace

5 days out I raced a 10k.  Badly.  Stupidly.  I came away disappointed, and worse woke up the next morning with a hamstring pull.  Just a niggle.  But annoying.  2 easy runs and 2 days off.  It wasn't any better but wasn't any worse.

Race day

We had to be at the buses for 7.45 - to get us to the start which is half way round the marathon loop.  My partner dropped me off then headed back for a bit more rest before his marathon which started at 10am.  Buses were on time and we were at the start by 8am.  Our start also wasn't till 10am though.  And it was 6 degrees.  Brrrrr.  I sat in the sun and tried to keep warm, which I managed with some success except for my feet!  At 9.30 I started my warm up - and stopped it again at 9.40 - hamstring still tight and mildly sore.  Enough to worry about but not enough to stop me running.  I decided to try and nurse it through, run well within myself and come back to fight another day. I also decided to run without a watch so I couldn't push myself for a time, and end up hurting my hamstring more.

We're off

I lined up with the top women, about 2-3 rows back, and at 10am off we all went.  I could see a handful of women ahead of me.  I ran nice and comfortably and settled in to my stride.  

About 2k in my hamstring was still hurting but getting no worse.  At 3k I asked the person next to me for a time check - 13.30.  4.30 per km.  OK - I'd be pretty happy with that.   At 4k we turned into the headwind that would be with us all the way to the end.  Not strong but persistent.  At 5k we hit the only significant hill - 1.3km of climb.  Which seemed to fly by.  Down the other side was less good.  I couldn't stride out so had to take lots of choppy little strides.  But the km markers were flying past now.  At 10k I asked for another time check from a friendly bloke.  43.30.  4.33 per km.  Slowing a bit but ok.  Hang on?  Bad maths.  4.21 per km.  Really?  Hmmmm.

For the next few km I just ran.  I felt really comfortable but every time I pushed I'd get a twinge form the hamstring.  But now I could see the two women in front of me.  Getting closer.  But not quickly enough.  I started trying to chase them down.  But just really wasn't making much headway.  The hamstring wasn't hurting so much though.  I ran the last few km hard, getting closer to those women, but with no real chance of catching them.  the only km which seemed to take a long time was the last one - very twisty and turny with no idea where the finish was (it was round a corner so you were no more than 15m away from it when you saw it!)

But hang on - that clock said 1.30.40.  That can't be right.  Really?!  

Results and prizegiving

In fact it wasn't right.  The final results show 1.30 58.  But I'm still astonished.  I ran a 77second PR and I have no idea how.  I was 5th lady - out of just over 500, and 2nd over 35.  At the awards ceremony that evening I got presented with a beautiful handcarved wooden trophy.  My partner ran 2.47 in the marathon for 3rd in his age group and 11th overall so he got one too. Plus he got a bronze medal for 3rd in his age group in the NZ marathon champs.  Slowish time for him but he was pretty happy. He hasn't really been focussed on this event as harrier season is just starting.  

So we had an awesome day.  And I've got a shiny bright new PR.  And 1.30 is less than a minute away now.  Bring it on.

Thank you for listening - sorry it was so long.

jpdeaux

Wow, Mandy, that's great! Funny how things happen sometimes. Hope your hamstring is no worse off.

Steady progress in the right direction.

Nice running, Mandy!

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Mandy, Great job. You are knocking on the door now. I hope your hamstring heals quickly.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

I look my best blurry!

Mandy! That is awesome! Next time with healthy legs you'll be there! Great progress!

Boom! 1:28:28

Boom! 1:28:28

Congratulations!

Congratulations kmark! Excellent racing.

Way to go Mandy! So close, nice PR, and a cranky hamstring---it's yours the next time.

SMART Approach

Mandy, that is an awesome time based on your 10K time 5 days previous and sore hammy. Yes, not ideal to race a 10K so close. Good job!

Kmark - congrats - knew you could do it!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

DLJ

Kmark - congratulations that is an awesome time. Nice running.

Mandy - great run. Sounds like you are pretty ecstatic with your PR and now you are so close to the goal. 6 degrees - tough day to be running with a sore hammie, hope that it heals well and that you get the 90 minutes next time.

Dwane

I was ecstatic - but Rotorua have just reissued the results adding 2 mins to everyone.  Stupid as at the start I'd have been really happy with 1.32.58 but now I'm completely gutted.  So much so I feel really physically sick.

I'm ready to quit this sport.

I was ecstatic - but Rotorua have just reissued the results adding 2 mins to everyone.  Stupid as at the start I'd have been really happy with 1.32.58 but now I'm completely gutted.  So much so I feel really physically sick.

I'm ready to quit this sport.

or you might rest up and have a go at the Mizuno Half Marathon in three months or the Hawk's Bay Half Marathon in four...?

1:35:11 for me yesterday.