iPod Shuffle (Read 1098 times)

With a new (cheap and convenient) gym membership and life hecticness over, I convinced myself to hit the road again. Not wanting to lug around my old iPod either while lifting or running...well I did the impulse buy thing and scored one of these: Just thought I'd let people know that, while I was hesitant at first, this little thing is amazing. Sure, doesn't hold a whole lot, but to hold all my songs I'd be shelling out hundreds of dollars. At 1GB you get plenty of music to listen to for workouts of most lengths without repeating anything though. Not being able to see what you're listening to or finding things can be tricky...but it's all made up for by: a) the fact that this little guy is...well little. It's HALF an ounce. Half. So yeah it's like wearing nothing. The 1.62 inch size is enough to let you fiddle with the controls easily without looking, but not so big that you remember its there when you aren't trying to paw at it. b) the real reason I picked it up....the clip. The built in clip is sheer genius. No longer do I need an arm-band, or a pocket, or something similar to go to it hands free. I'm already a big fan, and it will let me retire the old iPod to just car music duty. Definitely worth picking up one of these if you want something small, light and convenient. The $79 price tag isn't too bad either. And besides, where else are you going to get an MP3 player this cute?

~J

JakeKnight

Any idea how long the battery lasts on a charge?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've really thought about putting this on my Christmas list, because of how convenient it would be...BUT at that size I have a feeling I would lose it. Seriously. Or I'd leave it clipped to my shirt and run it through the wash...'cause I'm a dumbass like that. It's WAY cool for those more responsible than I am, though. So I have the red Nano on my list (plus $10 from the purchase of that goes towards an AIDS charity, so it's a feel-good source of music, too). I'm glad to hear that little one works so well, though. Can you hook that up with any sort of car adapter? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Cryptic

not sure about the shuffle but my nano has an 8 hour battery life i am going out on a limb and saying it is probably the same.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Longer than it will take you to run Rocket City Marathon
              My wife has the old shuffle and the battery seems to last forever. But this one might be totally different. I haven't ever timed it on a continuous play (who has time for that?) but it lasts a week or two on a charge the way we use it, an hour here, an hour there for walking, running, commuting on the train. I'm tempted to get this new one just because that form factor is too cool. And I don't generally even run with music.

Runners run

derek

b) the real reason I picked it up....the clip. The built in clip is sheer genius. No longer do I need an arm-band, or a pocket, or something similar to go to it hands free.
                I picked one you recently too and like you, the clip was the motivating factor. It sure beats my previous MP3 player that I used to use with an armband. My wife start running recently too and she got one for herself also.

Derek

Wingz

Professional Noob

I haven't ever timed it on a continuous play (who has time for that?)
                  LOL! I'm thinking we should send one to Lynn on his next long run and let him give it a whirl... Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Jeffrey

I bought one of these last week, 78$. The shuffle is TINY and LIGHT. (I forgot to use it today on my first run post HM -- partially because I never run with music either!) Apple store was having an after thanksgiving sale event ... I think that translated to same prices, more sales clerks because I didn't see any price reductions but I did see 3 dozen sales people in bright red shirts. The cool thing about the purchase experience? The sales people can do a complete transaction remotely. I walk in and tell the first person I see: I want a shuffle please. She gets it. Asks me for the credit card. She has a hand held computer. Rings up the purchase. Asks me if I want the receipt sent to me as a PDF or a paper copy. I say PDF. She says do you want a bag? I say no. The whole experience happened right inside the front door and only took about 20 seconds. Smile

Prophet!

She says do you want a bag? I say no.
                      you should always get the bag...they have those nice draw string, pretty durable bags... i use them for carrying lunches, stinky running or surfing clothes (not in the same bag as the lunches). I'm planning to buy this for my wife...i personally like the nano because i like making playlists and i use it with my Nike Plus sensor thingie where at a push of a button a soothing calming female voice tells me my pace...
                        According to the Apple website, the battery on this generation of Shuffle is about 12 hours, and the battery on the current generation of Nano is about 24 hours. (I.e., "Holy long time Batman!")

~J

Imminent Catastrophe

I've really thought about putting this on my Christmas list, because of how convenient it would be...BUT at that size I have a feeling I would lose it. Seriously. Or I'd leave it clipped to my shirt and run it through the wash...'cause I'm a dumbass like that. k
                          FWIW I dropped my shuffle (first generation) into a Jacuzzi and once it dried out it worked fine. I love it!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

FWIW I dropped my shuffle (first generation) into a Jacuzzi and once it dried out it worked fine. I love it!
                            What a testament to durability. Though we've never had a Mac that didn't work great for at least 10 years (somewhere we still have an old Classic that likely works just fine, but all it is is a glorified word-processor), either. BTW, are you trying to school Jake Knight in your avatar...? Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

What a testament to durability. Though we've never had a Mac that didn't work great for at least 10 years (somewhere we still have an old Classic that likely works just fine, but all it is is a glorified word-processor), either. BTW, are you trying to school Jake Knight in your avatar...? k
                              Actually, in that photo, it's Jake teaching me to read Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

Actually, in that photo, it's Jake teaching me to read Big grin
                                Like I can read ...

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------