Windows 8 - yes or no? (Read 871 times)

DukeDB

Anyone try out parental controls on Windows 8?  Am deciding on a childrens' computer for my house & sitting on fence between a Mac Mini and a Windows box.  I've read about problems with the Mountain Lion parental controls and am wondering if Windows 8 might be better.  I'm not looking to automate this function entirely - just looking for some backup to the common sense measures of keeping the machine in the open and being involved in its use.

Wandering Wally

I'm going to wait until at least next spring before deciding to move to Win 8 or not.  As a CPA, making that kind of a move now, right before tax season, just doesn't make sense.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm going to wait until at least next spring before deciding to move to Win 8 or not.  As a CPA, making that kind of a move now, right before tax season, just doesn't make sense.

I'd say if there is not compelling reason to switch, then don't do it.  The only compelling reason might be getting a new computer and the manufacturer not giving you a choice.

Wandering Wally

Right.  That's exactly it.  I'm going to be buying 1 or 2 new computers next spring and we'll see what happens then.  I'm pretty sure Win 7 Pro will still be an option then and I plan to stick with it if it is.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

The only thing I would say is do you want access to the apps that won't be available on windows 7 in a easy way. The app store on windows just going to grow like crazy. I guess you could think of it like this, would you want access to 700,000 Andriod type apps or Iphone type apps on your PC?

That's a pretty short sighted and an unsupported statement.  At least, in this case, you haven't given any statistics.  Now, go ahead and hunt for every single article out there that supports your off the cuff comment.

The bottom line, as I see it is, if you're a MAC user, learning Windows is difficult.  If you're a Windows user, learning MAC is difficult.  One is NOT better than the other.

I use both, and while I have a preference (Windows) it's because that's what I use the most, and use at home.  And for me to switch would be cost prohibitive...I would have to buy all my software AGAIN to switch to MAC.

As for innovation?  Apple does the same thing, over, and over, and over, and over.  Yes, there are improvements, but there is no innovation.  The iPad is nothing more than a large iPod touch.  The Microsoft Zune had wireless long before the iPod touch.  But everyone thought it was great when it happened with the Apple products.  The cell phone, and the smartphone already existed when Apple came out with the iPhone.

I'm not saying that Apple does not turn out good products, even exceptional products, but, I don't see them as innovators. 

And, also, Microsoft and Apple...you can't really compare them, so please don't.  There are no Apple servers, no database servers, etc.  And, try as I did, (I didn't try that hard, honestly), but, does Apple do stuff like this?

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/17/inside-microsofts-cauldron-of-ideas-from-kinect-bing-and-killing-the-blue-screen-of-death-to-code-that-can-learn-pixels-you-can-hold-and-drugs-compiled-from-dna/

I think not.  Microsoft is a true research organization.  Apple...not so much.  Or, at least, they don't let everyone know about it.

If there is similar stuff out there that Apple does, please let me know.  I'd be very interested.

And...SORRY....I really didn't want this to evolve into an Apple vs. MSFT thread, but I had to (in my mind) defend MSFT.  But, information is power. 

But when statements are made like "Windows was a monopolist for so long that it stopped innovating"...I feel the need to comment.

I don't think they can be compared. 

Just curious. If Apple does the same thing over and over, then why did Microsoft follow with Windows, Zune and now Surface? Apple, Microsoft and the likes are all creative and give us choices. I like that they exist and copy and improve each other. Also, if I was Apple and people continue to buy my products why would I spend so much innovating when I can just improve and still have people buy my crap. Sheep always  follows and Apple knows this.

To the OP. Did you like Windows 8 when you saw the demo? if you like what you saw then go for it. This looks like Microsoft's future so we'll end up learning the operating system sooner or later. Why not sooner?

xor

I liked Vista when I saw the demo. 

Oops.

dennrunner

I liked Vista when I saw the demo. 

Oops.

I used Vista for years. Never really had a problem with it. Just switched to 8 on the same desktop. (Just because.) I like 8 marginally better than Vista. I have a 7 laptop that I'm not changing. I see no reason to go from 7 to 8 unless the hardware supports touch.

a 3 year old walks us through Windows 8

Wink

Yes, may be easy, but all I can say is that I am old school.  I don't like change.  I am of the opinion (right or wrong?) that Windows 7 is the windows setup as we have all known it to be for years, and Windows 8 is more like a massive leap toward matching what Apple Operating software is set up like with all the tiles, etc.

Am I correct in saying "if you like using traditional windows, use Win 7, if you like using an Ipad and that style", then go for Windows 8?

I think Windows should have stuck to their traditional styling, and anyone who wants "Tiles" and all that can go purchase a Mac!  Just an opinion though. (I don't care for Ipad setup, and I have not used Win 8 yet either). 

Hopefully someone will tell me that my opinion is unfounded and that Win 8 is not too drastic a change from traditional Windows....

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

It's not like you can't  use your computer like windows 7. You can  and it is easy too.

zonykel

Not necessarily in the market for a computer right now, but it's good to know that Windows 8 is intended to be used on a touch screen. If that's the case, then I'd go with Windows 7.

Small rant: IMO, Windows XP with MS Office 2003 was just fine for me.

xor

Yeah.  My opinion is that Office was "done" many versions ago.  They keep screwing with it just to have something new.  Ugh.

Well, certain technology transitions offer compelling opportunities.  I would love to see Powerpoint integrate touch and gestures.  It would be an interesting way to build a deck, especially of scrapbook-like things.

Just curious. If Apple does the same thing over and over, then why did Microsoft follow with Windows, Zune and now Surface? Apple, Microsoft and the likes are all creative and give us choices. I like that they exist and copy and improve each other. Also, if I was Apple and people continue to buy my products why would I spend so much innovating when I can just improve and still have people buy my crap. Sheep always  follows and Apple knows this.

To the OP. Did you like Windows 8 when you saw the demo? if you like what you saw then go for it. This looks like Microsoft's future so we'll end up learning the operating system sooner or later. Why not sooner?

I resisted commenting because I don't want to get back in to this but...I will anyway.

The post I was commenting on said this:

Windows was a monopolist for so long that it stopped innovating and fell way behind in quality and reliability (my view).  That is why nobody under 25 uses MS

I never said that MSFT didn't copy things.  I was trying to say that who ever posted that Microsoft did not innovate is incorrect.  No one has been able to tell me if Apple does research other than improving their already existing products.  And, believe me, I do not have a problem with Apple products.  What I really have a problem with is people making comments like the one above, out of the blue, without knowing what the heck they are talking about.

Jeff

cbennett926

Trust Me, Im an Engineer

Windows 8 is garbage... unless you have a touch screen monitor. It is a very tablet-oriented OS, it does have much better security and the features are great for what it does. However, applications and video games have not been optimized for the new OS and as a result run kinda flakey and don't respond to some gestures.

I've done a few installs of it the past week and it's very flashy and nice, I love their new security features, the picture password and all. It's a fun OS, but runs badly without a touch screen.

Not all those who wander are lost - JRR Tolkien

bhearn

I have nothing useful to say about which version of Windows is best, but I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here yet.