Going very fast on the treadmill--safe? (Read 565 times)

fimmx

You know you're a biomimeticist when...

* everything is like a fish
    * you can't explain your own degree
    * you use the term biomimetic in every sentence
    * not even Google doesn't know what you are
    * people use your degree to apply for a Ph.d in another university
    * you think tibia and fibia are 2 sisters who live in the ulna
    * when you can't figure out something
    * you think you're the only biomimeticist in the world
    * you don't know why your professors are teaching you
    * you know what a biomimetic bra looks like

Lmao! Bravo....

bhearn

The biomechanic differences between solid ground and moving belt is very easy to measure.

Eppur si muove.

The 5 Stages of Sport Jester Engagement:

1. Conversation ("Yes, but what about [insert perfectly reasonable statement here] Mr. Jester?")

2. Confusion ("Wtf is up with [insert pseudoscience here]?")

3. Anger ("Princess?!?")

4. Ridicule ("Treadmill railz lol...")

5. Resignation (no sample statement, I'm stuck on Stage 4)

MTA: *SIGH*

zonykel

And in studying, you must have learned that man is mortal so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the vial in front of me.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders—the most famous of which is, “Never get involved in a land war in Asia”—but only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line”! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha…[thunk].

sport jester

Biomimeticist

bhearn already touched on it, but the above really doesn't make sense.

Momentum = (mass) (velocity) and

Force = (mass) (acceleration)

There is no way that momentum can be a balance force because it's not a force.

While I refer to it as a force and it might not be one by conventional definition, your physical momentum when you run on hard surfaces plays a role to create the running technique you use doing so.

On the treadmill, for instance, you have a lot more lateral displacement in your step because there is no forward motion to counter with your push off step. That requires greater arm swing energy expenditure as well to maintain stability

Objects in motion require force to change direction, so without momentum, you're taking away the resistance of displacement the body has in forward movement which allows more energy to be applied to generating forward propulsion.

And since one of my goals to improve speed is to eliminate lateral displacement in a runner, that excessive motion becomes easier in the runner to physically connect with in performance feedback.

Its also true that while few humans take the time to research treadmill training, if there truly were no difference, then why do horses running on a treadmill get so spooked when they're introduced to them for the first time?

Unlike humans, they're much more sensitive to how it changes the way a thoroughbred runs, so they do require time to become comfortable with training on one.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/10868/cross-training-for-horses

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

bhearn

Oh, stop while you're behind, please. You're just making your sad ignorance more painfully obvious with every additional post.

I am tempted to sit down and write the Sport Jester physics explainer.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The 5 Stages of Sport Jester Engagement:

1. Conversation ("Yes, but what about [insert perfectly reasonable statement here] Mr. Jester?")

2. Confusion ("Wtf is up with [insert pseudoscience here]?")

3. Anger ("Princess?!?")

4. Ridicule ("Treadmill railz lol...")

5. Resignation (no sample statement, I'm stuck on Stage 4)

The fact that holding onto the balance rails on a treadmill is required by some who use the machine is proof using one requires balance skills the operator inherently doesn't have.  To think it doesn't happen is the statement I'll willingly ridicule because it simply isn't true.

There's no confusion to that statement.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Oh, stop while you're behind, please. You're just making your sad ignorance more painfully obvious with every additional post.

I am tempted to sit down and write the Sport Jester physics explainer.

Of course you'll write the explainer. Which is only true if you can't cite me the science which says I'm wrong.

bhearn

You misunderstand -- by "Sport Jester physics explainer" I mean a more specialized version of the jester-o-matic.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

You misunderstand -- by "Sport Jester physics explainer" I mean a more specialized version of the jester-o-matic.

Minor detail princess: My science explains the women of Kenya. Yours doesn't...

Therefore if the question is pseudoscience, a mirror would offer the best insight to who doesn't understand training athletes.

Prince of Fatness

My science explains the women of Kenya. Yours doesn't...

I did not know that people "own" science.  I don't have any.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas!

Not at it at all. 

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I did not know that people "own" science.  I don't have any.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas!

Knowledge is (intellectual) property. Property is a possession. Possessions are of course owned by individuals.

Admitting you don't have any knowledge isn't the question. However I do appreciate it when stupid people are smart enough to admit they're stupid.

Knowledge is (intellectual) property. Property is a possession. Possessions are of course owned by individuals.

Admitting you don't have any knowledge isn't the question. However I do appreciate it when stupid people are smart enough to admit they're stupid.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Knowledge is (intellectual) property.

You still have not accepted my offer to race-walk you.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

joescott

This is awesome!  I wonder if eric can put a permanent link to the jester-o-matic page somewhere up in the Community menu choices!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.