Heart Rate Advice (Read 169 times)

runmichigan

Given what you revealed about your health I would recommend you talk with your doctor about this.  Your heart rate seems to be high if you are running at an easy pace.

lindasaffell

Fighting senescence

Another thing to think about is, whether your RESTING heart rate is higher than most.  Is it ONLY when running that your HR rises, or does it go high when doing other kinds of activities?  FWIW I seem to have a fairly fast HR most of the time; my partner has a fairly slow HR most of the time.  If only we could share the average of our two HRs!

I think that if I work consistently on improving my CV status, it should lower my heart rate, but I don't know by how much I can hope to lower it.  Like you, I don't feel dizzy or faint if I get my HR up pretty high (tho not so high as yours).

Happy Garmin newbie

Renewing my interest in running, sloooowly

LaGallinaCabrona

Thanks for sharing, I appreciate the input! My average resting heart rate is 60 bpm, my heart rate while cycling is about 130-170, swimming is lower (I'm a slow swimmer) 110-140 I'm starting to think that I'm just one of those people with a higher threshold. When I dug deeper into my stats, I found that my heart rate has been consistent while running over the years with different heart monitor devices (even though I've improved my pace). I tried out a different device today and got the same results.

Another thing to think about is, whether your RESTING heart rate is higher than most.  Is it ONLY when running that your HR rises, or does it go high when doing other kinds of activities?  FWIW I seem to have a fairly fast HR most of the time; my partner has a fairly slow HR most of the time.  If only we could share the average of our two HRs!

I think that if I work consistently on improving my CV status, it should lower my heart rate, but I don't know by how much I can hope to lower it.  Like you, I don't feel dizzy or faint if I get my HR up pretty high (tho not so high as yours).

LaGallinaCabrona

I appreciate your concern.

Given what you revealed about your health I would recommend you talk with your doctor about this.  Your heart rate seems to be high if you are running at an easy pace.

RichardR

Quick test for accuracy of your watch.....

When you finish a run, before you stop your watch, use 2 fingers to manually count your pulse.  (Easy would be 15 seconds, which you can see on the watch, as it continues to run, and then multiply by 4).  Then, stop the watch.

Now, you can compare 2 numbers:

1 - your heart rate as recorded by the WATCH at the end of the run

2- your heart rate as counted manually at the end of the run

Beyond that, if your HR is high, like others have said, a visit with the doctor is in order, just to make sure everything is ok.   You know, the standard "Before beginning any strenuous exercise program, please check with your doctor......."  thing.

Good luck

Like Running

i think you should choise garmin profuct for best accurate like: garmin forerunner 45. This is a good choice with good price

I'm Mr.Thang. I like running everyday and i have a blog about healthy  - review smartwatch for running , best smartwatch can measure your heart

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

i think you should choise garmin profuct for best accurate like: garmin forerunner 45. This is a good choice with good price

Garmin 45 is a wrist-based heart rate monitor. With mine, I notice that it will often stick with my run cadence. It might not be exactly the same, but within 5 to 10 and move consistently up and down as my cadence does. I don't trust the HR numbers on my watch during a run. If the OP is looking to track heart rate, a chest strap is a better option than a wrist based one.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Looks like spam to me, not simply a misguided recommendation.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Carbs and Cabernet

My average resting heart rate is 60 bpm, my heart rate while cycling is about 130-170, swimming is lower (I'm a slow swimmer) 110-140 I'm starting to think that I'm just one of those people with a higher threshold. When I dug deeper into my stats, I found that my heart rate has been consistent while running over the years with different heart monitor devices (even though I've improved my pace). I tried out a different device today and got the same results.

Back in the day (and I was about your age) I came to the same conclusion. My heart rate on easy runs was always around 200 - sometimes more -  as measured by a series of devices I had at that time (Polar heart monitors mostly, I think Garmins came later?). Runs felt easy though, no issues at all, and doctors saw no irregularities. Resting heart rate was around 55 if I remember correctly. Over the next 20 years heart rate gradually came down, but I am still (slowly...) running and am still around : ). So maybe (after you mention it to your doctor)  it just is what you are saying it is - some of us just show different numbers?

yea get a chest strap gps watch etc...

my gfs apple watch heatbeat is always crazy high compared to mine....

which I suspect is an error..... or she's got a crazy high HR etc...

300m- 37 sec.