Track size (Read 3577 times)

Me and my gang in Breck

How many meters is it around a typical high school track in the smallest lane? People tell me that the outdoor track where I run is 1/4 mile once around. That would make it a tad more than 400 meters. Does this seem right? Thanks Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Scout7

It's 400 meters. It's close enough to a quarter mile that most people just call it that.
      btb1490

Sometimes people use the terms "400m" and "1/4 mile" interchangeably when asked how long a track is, but those are the two most common distances. The HS track coach should know for sure, or you may be able to find markings along the inside lane telling you the distances. The difference in distance between a 400m track and a 1/4 mile track is about 2.5 meters, with the 400m track being shorter.
        mikeymike

Hi Mark, most tracks are 400m per lap in lane 1, which is just shy of 1/4 mile, but there are still a few high school tracks that are 440 yards (1/4 mile). It should be marked in either meters or yards and if it is meters, there should be a curved Mile start line about 9 meters behind the finish line and a similarly curved 2 Mile start line another 9 meters behind that. Either way, people routinely refer to a 400m track as 1/4 mile even thought it's a few feet shy of exactly 1/4.

Runners run

mikeymike

Or what Scout said while I was typing my novel.

Runners run

Me and my gang in Breck

Thanks for the answers! Of course,the more I learn the more questions I have. I'm sure that the track has the curved start markers but I check for sure later. My next question is, as you more out to the next lane how many more meters is it per lap? Thanks Again, Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

btb1490

Thanks for the answers! Of course,the more I learn the more questions I have. I'm sure that the track has the curved start markers but I check for sure later. My next question is, as you more out to the next lane how many more meters is it per lap? Thanks Again, Mark
                That varies from track to track, depending on it's geometry. Try this: http://www.csgnetwork.com/disttracklanecalc.html

Now that was a bath...

Or what Scout said while I was typing my novel.
                  For some inexplicable reason that particular comment has made me remove my arse from this chair, stroll the unmeasured, unmarked 5.2 metres to the corner of this room and fetch beer from the fridge. Now all I need is for Scout to speak again. I'm waiting.
                • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                  Scout7

And Scout sayeth onto his flock, "Let's get the flock outta here." And there was much rejoicing. "yay...."

Now that was a bath...

I worship you and everything from your short's content to your brain. Oh pray why, Why are we related?
                    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.