My injury is not from running! (Read 913 times)

Dog-Love

My injury is not a running injury. My lateral medial meniscus tore when I stopped running, tied my ASICS which I have been having problems with and started sprinting downhill to catch my gal pals. It torre as I stood and pushed off. Running on its own generates very predictable movements and in all of my running years I have been pretty much injury free. I can run downhill fast with no problems, until I trip over a root, mistep and twist an ankle, ....these are not running injuries....these are non running injuries that happen when we run. I have lacerated my face running, but no one I know shakes their head and says that's what I get for running. I read about mountain lion attacking runners, but I don't hear anyone say... well that's what you can expect from running. But I go and tear a meniscus by not running..that's right not running (tying my shoe remember?) and all my non running friends tell me that's what was bound to happen to this almost 50 year old gal running with 30 year olds. Well as soon as I recover from the surgery I am buying those cool laces that don't untie and I will be off running with my gal pals agian!
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, no! Sherry, do you really have to undergo surgery? I think this is the same operation that my MIL and 2 of her siblings just had last year. 2 of them are runners, but one is not (he's an overweight, inactive creep). I think it's kind of a genetic thing. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

I really do unless I want to continue to run with pain. I choose NOT. I just want to get it over with and my doc John (friend of Frank Shorter's I might add) says I can still train for my marathon this year but I will see how the old body responds to recovery first. My doc is training for the Idaho Ironman and if he says I'll recover then that is just dandy!
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Yikes! Shocked Tying shoes is such a dangerous activity... I understand completely about wanting to get problems like that taken care of right away. It's what lets us keep on being active. Which is important. (Duh.) Get well soon!

Roads were made for journeys...

Scout7

OK, not quite as bad as that, but I managed to pull a muscle in my back getting out of my car. That's right...The same action I do at least 2-3 times a day.

Prophet!

my wife tweak her calf muscle trying to cross a road during the Honolulu international Triathlon..she couldn't run for 2 months ...be very very careful when not running.. may the running gods (and the surgeon) grant you a successfull surgery and speedy recovery... aloha, steve

Finished!

oh man Sad that totally sounds like something that would happen to me. I wish you a fast and speedy recovery!
                Walk + Jog = wog.
                I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

Dog-Love

Thanks you all. I just want to get it over with, recover a bit start my PT and then get going with conservative training for a marathon in October or November.
                    Good luck, Sherry! Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

Bugs

Wish you a very quick recovery. I woke up with a sore calf. Sleep must have caused my injury right? Smile

Bugs

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wish you a very quick recovery. I woke up with a sore calf. Sleep must have caused my injury right? Smile
                        Am I missing something? Wasn't Crabby's post from almost a year ago? "Quick recovery?" Confused

Bugs

Oh funny. I did not notice that!

Bugs