Chin Up Bars (Read 2381 times)

For a long time I've wanted to install a chin up bar in my workout room.  I'm looking at wall verses ceiling - so far, I'm leaning toward ceiling.  Any comments, suggestions?

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

A Saucy Wench

I have a doorway one.  I removed the door to a closet in my workout room and there it is.  Easy to install.  Easy to remove if I needed to.    Plus in my case the added bonus that the closet is about a foot up from the floor so I can actually reach the bar.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Plus in my case the added bonus that the closet is about a foot up from the floor so I can actually reach the bar.

lol, awwwww.

i really like my doorway unit ($20 at dollar general) but if i was getting a legit fixed bar i think it would have to be on the ceiling. im a wimp when it comes to pullups so i often use my legs to help get me up there and i think the wall would get in the way of that.

I have a door frame one that doesn't actually need any fixings - similar to this thing:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004MSTG4C

The advantage is that you can take it down and move it around. I do have to bend my legs a little so a ceiling one would be better from that point of view.

For a long time I've wanted to install a chin up bar in my workout room.  I'm looking at wall verses ceiling - so far, I'm leaning toward ceiling.  Any comments, suggestions?

If you can tap into the ceiling joist then it would be perfect.  Wall mounted ones limit any swing or such from the person doing them.  Also it has been my experience that ceiling mounted ones a more sturdy and last longer.  I have been using them for the past 15 plus years with many different variations and attempts at making them.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

protoplasm72

I looked at getting a bar for a while and ended up buy this free standing unit instead.  If you have the room I think it is the best value for the price cause you get a lot more then just a chin up bar.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

No Talent Drips

If you can tap into the ceiling joist then it would be perfect. 

+1. Did this in an unfinished portion of my basement. 2 Heavy-duty eye hooks screwed into the joist with a 1" diameter wooden dowel passed through. Cost about $5 and has worked great for several years.

I do keep the area below clear of weights and stuff...anticipating that someday that dowel is bound to snap...

Dei Gratia

A Saucy Wench

I do agree, if you are going ceiling or wall mount go ceiling and leave yourself some room to the nearest wall.  There are all kinds of bonus reps you can do if you leave space ..i.e. using a chair to do negatives or turning a set into a drop set with 1 leg assist and then 2 that can put you over a plateau

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Marylander

You can also use jumpstretch, ironwoody or similar bands to help yourself get more pullup reps, e.g., like this:Assisted chin-up

Heh, Ironwoody.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

A Saucy Wench

You can also use jumpstretch, ironwoody or similar bands to help yourself get more pullup reps, e.g., like this:Assisted chin-up

I've been meaning to order a set of those.  Damn they are pricey

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I really like my Iron Gym Workout Bar.  Fits in and out of the doorway easily, has multiple grip positions of varying width, and you can flip it over on the floor to use for bench dips and pushups.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thanks for your input.  A doorway bar isn't feasible as my only doorway is between the inside world of my workout shed and the outside - literally.

Looks like it'll be a ceiling mount.  Now to find a cheap inexpensive one.

And BeastieRoy - Since I've never done a pull up in my life, I'll be using - er - assistance for quite awhile. Blush

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I prefer something like Lara bars.  They are raw, relatively unprocessed and tasty.

And a lot less expensive. Big grin

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance