Help with jogging (Read 959 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Definitely keep the 10% rule in mind -- don't increase you mileage by more than 10% a week. Looking at your log, you jumped up a lot more than that. Modified: could get advanced graph to work

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Jeff, did you just put my graph up there a second ago? I swear I saw it...

Roads were made for journeys...

mikeymike

I see mine. Modified to add: And Jeff is right, there are lots times when I broke the 10% rule.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ok, looks like that link didn't work -- we all see our own graphs. (It's a Rorschach test -- we see what we want to see Clowning around ) I too have violated the 10% rule many times. But you can get away with that if you have a lot of experience/miles under your belt. Someone who has been jogging for 8 months needs to be more careful than those of us who have been doing it for years.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I am a big fan of the RID and RICE methods of treating injuries, although I usually stick to the rest and ice and only move on from there if things don't get better. Another thing you may want to consider is whether you should continue running on a treadmill or should modify how you run on a treadmill. Treadmills are great ways to treat and prevent injuries, but if you aren't careful they are also an easy way to cause an injury. I wrote about the differences between a track and a treadmill last summer when one of my readers was pondering that question, and there are links in that article to common treadmill mistakes that people make. I think that your best bet is probably to take a little time off, use ice liberally, and then come back to it gradually.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Matt_Squires

So i've been wondering about something since I read the article in the previous post and what the effects on me would be. I originally started out running outdoors and right at a month ago I switched to a treadmill which feels so much easier than doin it outdoors. Does anyone know if this would hurt me in the long run or be beneficiary to me? Or, should I switch back and forth and jog in the winter time and do treadmill in the summer.
                Matt, There's nothing wrong with running on a treadmill other than boredom. I do quite a bit of treadmill running in the winter to avoid icy roads and cold winds. I find that I run faster and with less pounding when on the treadmill, but, I greatly prefer the outdoor runs. It's really up to you. I don't think switching back and forth would cause any harm.

Treadmills have their place, but I'm not a big fan. I won't do more than a mile or so on them unless the weather is so atrocious that there is no safe way for me to get outside. I wrote an article a while back about the differences between a track and a treadmill: http://news.runtowin.com/2006/07/20/track-vs-treadmill-whats-the-difference.html Most of the points apply to road vs treadmill as well as a track.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Sandi Sue

Here's a slight correction to what the acrynom stands for. Rest Ice Compression Elevation Wink

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever