How Many Pairs of Running Shoes do You Buy Per year??? (Read 330 times)

jfa

I'll put my running shoe "efficiency" rating up against anyone's. (user\traininglog\equipment\efficiency)

Mine averages $.06 ( not counting the 2 pairs of Flyknits I'm not quite sure about yet)

Take that running shoe companies. I'm your worse effin' enemy.

Hoban-Jay

I'll put my running shoe "efficiency" rating up against anyone's. (user\traininglog\equipment\efficiency)

Mine averages $.06 ( not counting the 2 pairs of Flyknits I'm not quite sure about yet)

Oh, mine almost always end up at $0.01.  But then I run in $15 shoes.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

I like shoes, and I'm new enough to running that I'm still trying to figure out what I like, but it takes me about 200 miles before I figure out what I like and don't like which makes it hard to settle on a shoe or brand. I am on target to run about 1000 miles this year, and I have 4 active pairs of shoes (3 road, one trail), but only two of them purchased this year.  I try to get last season's model on clearance, so I usually spend around $50.  Edited to add: about 25 miles per week when not injured or sick.

I can beat Joe's efficiency, though, because my local running store gave me a pair of Saucony Mirage for free (store returns, sales girl was nice)!

There's definitely a difference between how many pairs I buy, and how many I end up using until they wear out. Last year I ran about 1500 km and bought 4 pairs of shoes, but one kinda sucked so I stopped using it after about six weeks. In 2013 I ran 2000km and went through three pairs of shoes. My "efficiency" usually ends up between 10 and 15 cents per km.

npaden

I try to get under 10 cents per mile on the efficiency rating.  I just bought several new pairs of shoes for under $30 though so I may get closer to 5 cents per mile on those.

My current best is a pair of  Skechers Go Runs that I bought for $43.30 and ended up with 585 miles on them before I retired them for cost of 7 cents per mile.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

6 PAIR

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

NHLA

50 mpw  8 pairs

In 2011 I bought 1 pair - 300 miles

In 2012 I bought 2.5 pairs - 546 miles (one had the sole collapse at 100 miles, so I returned it and exchanged it for a different one)

In 2013 I bought 3 pairs - 680 miles

in 2014 I bought 3 pairs - 963 miles

So far in 2015 I've bought 1 pair and have run 546 miles

(I buy my shoes when they are on sale, so I actually bought some of these the year prior to what is listed, this is when I put them into rotation.  I currently have 2 pairs of shoes sitting in my closet that I haven't started using yet).

I run mostly in shoes like the Brooks PureFlow, so I only expect to get around 300 miles in them.  I do run some recovery runs in more traditional shoes that I expect to get about 500 miles from.  Of what is above, 2 are the traditional style shoes and the others are the lightweight shoes.

On track for 1000 miles this year, aiming for 1200 miles (2000k) so 25 mpw and an average of 2 pairs of sneaks. Mainly getting 350-400 out of my Mizunos and Brooks.

A

Recalculating...

stewart reich

I average about 60-70 miles a week and I try to keep it to two shoes a year. I get about 1000 or more miles out of them before I am willing to give them up. I grow so attached to them over the miles

an amazing likeness

You have to wonder if the OP even came back to read this...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

60mpw, probably about 5-6 pairs.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

jpdeaux

Yeah, I'm not taking that bet. Though I did just notice that I retired my Veebram Five Fingers at an efficiency rating of $134.62 per mile.

Thank you all!

Hoban-Jay

Yeah, I'm not taking that bet. Though I did just notice that I retired my Veebram Five Fingers at an efficiency rating of $134.62 per mile.

My Vibram's are at $0.06/mile and still going strong!