ALS Ice Bucket Challenge (Read 321 times)

You can always check.  The ALS Association is rated highly by Charity Navigator (90.7/100).  72.4% of the money they get goes to actual programs and services.  Only 11% goes to "administrative expenses" like the staff you mentioned.

You can get the full details here.  It's always worth checking a charity before you donate to it, but they are one that passes muster.

I donated $10.

I dont mean to be a jerk, but there are a handful of people in the ALS charity organization that are laughing all the way to the bank right now.  Only, a fraction of the (what is it?, 54+?) millions of dollars raised actually goes to research. The rest lines the pockets of the executives.

I could be wrong, but I dont think I am.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I donated $10.

I dont mean to be a jerk, but there are a handful of people in the ALS charity organization that are laughing all the way to the bank right now.  Only, a fraction of the (what is it?, 54+?) millions of dollars raised actually goes to research. The rest lines the pockets of the executives.

You can check on these things rather than assuming the worst.  A quick check at Charity Navigator shows regional chapters of the ALS Association spending 7% - 11% of their budget on administrative costs.  You can look at the BBB rating as well.

I donated $10.

From what I have seen as well, most of this money makes it to the right place with ALS.  It was a small charity (till the bucket challenge caught on), so not much admin on the ALS charity.

You want to see a bad charity?  I could list a whole bunch of them that put most of their donations into 'advertising' 'administrative costs' 'transportation costs'   'mileage per diem costs' for supposed volunteers,  'salaries for an oversized mgmt team'....

Some charities have well above 50% of their donations eaten up in costs.  But since I have gone off on this rant, and as a veteran who just retired myself last year, let me give "Wounded Warriors a huge kick in the leg.  Research it, you'll see that a massive amount of money goes to pay very high salaries of too many folks, most of them not even vets!.  I'll leave it there, but sad to see Wounded Warriors and other charities pulling in massive amounts of money, with those donations never often making it out the door to the original cause...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Feeling the growl again

There's (unfortunately) a pretty decent inverse correlation between how much advertising you see for a charity and how much of the money makes it towards the cause.  Many well known charities....Wounded Warrier....Komen....spend a lot more on themselves than their cause.

ALS Foundation is not among those.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Well, mine's on the books.  Challenged by a former student.  Didn't have the heart to turn it down, plus, the general consensus seems to be that the "awareness" is actually helping, for a change.

Here it is, if anyone's interested.  You're supposed to get about a quart of the water up your nose, that's part of it, right?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Dream Maker

For many, that's what Facebook seems to be about.

Oh, hey! I didn't realize we were Facebook friends!   Wink

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, mine's on the books.  Challenged by a former student.  Didn't have the heart to turn it down, plus, the general consensus seems to be that the "awareness" is actually helping, for a change.

Here it is, if anyone's interested.  You're supposed to get about a quart of the water up your nose, that's part of it, right?

Yeah, you pretty much poured the whole bucket into your nose, didn't you?

I guess if we're sharing, here's mine.  Badly stammered the speech, but the act itself was, well, primal.

I had my chick do an ice bucket challenge for me yesterday afternoon. I asked her to put on a white shirt, take off her bra and let me pour some COLD water over her, she obliged. Then we made love.

xhristopher

Well, my boss just died of ALS today. I've been witness to what it can do in just 11 months. We all knew what was coming but I'm not sure how prepared we were. He stayed active in leading his agenda until things began to unravel very quickly in the past week and a half.

Many did the challenge in his honor this summer. I was proud to have sent in my donation. The challenge isn't trending so much now but rare diseases like ALS and others still need all the funding and awareness possible so we can kick the shit out of them.

MTA: I wouldn't mind if someone censored the post above this one.