stitches on face and running? (Read 82 times)

Christirei

today i had to have the margins cleared on a little spot on my nose, i ended up with some stitches and the doctor left when the nurse gave me my post op instructions, she just casually threw out right at the end "and no exercise"

i questioned her about it and she told me why, the bleeding and all that...which i get. for two days i am limited and extra special care and all, but Saturday is my scheduled long run, and after the first 48 hours things lighten up, but she was still kind of saying things like, keep it light, don't do anything to strenuous.... which i find can mean many different things. and i know i'm not great about taking time off (especially unexpectedly)  sooooo if you had stitches on your nose, and it was past the 48 hour mark...would you go out for your run? is keeping it easy mean i can still run, but maybe half the distance instead of the full? or is any running to strenuous? i was planning for 14 but it is on my face and i would prefer to have the best healing possible... don't want to jack things up by being stubborn about having to get my run in....

what do you all think? when i had the biopsy done in march i didn't have these restrictions, i'm guessing its because of the stitches this time around, i guess i could call the office back and ask, but i will probably still end up talking to a nurse....

paul2432

• I’d probably do the run as planned.  I wouldn’t care if the stitches didn’t heal perfectly (probably helps I’m a 51 year old man with existing scars and other blemishes).  Of course I’d use judgement during and stop the run if I thought I was doing serious harm. 
      PDoe

I'm guessing it's related to the effect raising your BP and dilating blood vessels would have on the healing process. I suspect a day or two of missed exercise would have less effect after a week than diminished healing.

But it's a free world  country.

runnin gal

Were you instructed to keep the area dry until the stitches are removed? Might be hard to do on a long run, which could increase risk of infection.  I would defer running until stitches are out.  Sometimes it takes more discipline NOT to run.

SMART Approach

When running you get vasodilation and more blood flow to skin. Your body releases heat through the skin so your noses and skin swell so to speak. The risk would be too much swelling, sweat could disrupt the stitches. I don't know.....evaulate how cut feels, how cut looks, how big is cut, is it secure with steri strips, is it cold where you are running, do you sweat a lot???? Make the decision you are comfortable with.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

flyrunnr

I think it's hogwash. I think your stitches would heal better by increasing your blood flow. I am NOT a doctor and I am NOT giving you medical advice, so you can't sue me.

Everything that you read today indicates that active recovery is the answer based on scientific evidence, but it takes many years to change medical practices and documented protocols. If the doctor follows the current medical handbook that they were licensed under as well as current policies, they reduce their liability, and increase the covered costs by insurance companies. I've had doctors write "no exercise" then mention, you didn't hear me say this but use your own discretion on exercise. That way they are covered for liability.

Another example, I saw a talk about doctors complaining about what they are required to do to avoid liability. They see a 78 year old sedentary male with a stress fracture, and 24 year old Olympic male athlete with the same stress fracture, and they must prescribe the same treatment for both patients, a boot for 6 weeks -- and they know that this is absolutely ridiculous, and makes no sense, since the healing capability of the athlete far exceeds that of the elderly male. But protocol must be followed and everyone, management, insurance, etc. is happy.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

A few years back, I slipped on some icy pavement, slamming my face into the ground and leading to a broken nose, split open lip (which required stitches), and some other scratches.

I didn't run the first 2 days after the fall just because I was so messed up, but I did run with the stitches in after a few days. It was completely fine. It was just easy running through, nothing too strenuous. My lipped healed to almost 100%, so much so that I never notice the scar, and much better than any doctor thought it would (they thought I would need plastic surgery to fix it)

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Your body releases heat through the skin so your noses and skin swell so to speak.

I bet she has only one nose.

Christirei

hummmm, i was rereading the post-op care instructions they gave me and they say in there no exercise or heavy lifting until the stitches are out, so that would be next week...but i am not a heavy sweater, and i plan to cut my long run short, and it is crazy cold right now where i live... i think i'll probably go out on Saturday, but we leave for Florida on Monday morning so maybe i'll just take a nice off week until the stitches are removed Smile