Hoka OneOne (Read 590 times)

But ... it's definitely not a fact that more cushioned shoes reduce injury risk. There's plenty of evidence that refutes that hypothesis and really none that supports it.

Regarding a pair of shoes that you had just bought you said, "They're lighter but don't offer quit the same cushioning and injury protection." There's no way you could know that. It jumped out at me at the time but I let it fly, like I'm sure a lot of other experienced runners did.

Marky_Mark (no relation) simply pointed this out and provided some evidence. I thought he did it in a non-snarky, not attacking way.

I agree with the gist of what he said: there's no evidence that more cushioned shoes reduce injury risk but by all means wear whatever shoe you're most comfortable with.

Are you saying I couldn’t know that after one run?  I can see some truth to that but I did more runs and could definitely feel the difference.  Others on this thread have compared various Hoka models and how they have impacted their running.  If my body feels more beat up with a certain model, that to me is indicative of a greater injury risk.

I’m not alone in feeling that the cushioning and whatever other technologies went into the creation of the Bondi has helped prevent injuries.  I have tried running at other times and had more injury problems so something has changed.  I don’t attribute it solely to the shoes but I feel it’s a significant factor.

To call my observations a “myth” is snarky to me but we all have different perceptions of speech.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

mikeymike

Are you saying I couldn’t know that after one run?

I'm saying that it's nearly impossible to know without lots an lots of empirical data whether a specific shoe offers more injury protection than another. I'm sure you can feel a difference, but that comes back to what your'e most comfortable with.

It is quite literally a myth (i.e. a widely held but false belief) that cushioned shoes are better for injury prevention. You are correct that you're not alone in feeling that the cushioning of a shoe prevents injuries. Since this belief is so widely held, it has been around a lot longer than you, and so I wouldn't take it as a personal attack.

Runners run

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The guy wears Hoka Bondi, he likes them and has good results from them. What's the purpose of every time he posts seeking information and other runner's experience with Bondi and Clifton, you jump to say how wrong everyone is?

Well Marky didn’t actually say how wrong he was and basically said that it’s a myth to assume that more cushioned shoes will automatically help reduce injury. Marky posted some links which is fine...some folk will ignore them and others might find them interesting which is what a running forum is all about.

JasonB likes Hoka Bondi shoes and isn’t getting injured in them. What else is there to say? Happy days.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

To call my observations a “myth” is snarky to me but we all have different perceptions of speech.

No, I didn't say your observations were a myth.  I said "The idea that more cushioned shoes reduce the risk of injury is a myth".  There is a lot of evidence to support this.  This does not change the fact that some people will naturally prefer more cushioned, or less cushioned, shoes.

I then went on to say in multiple posts that actually the key thing is that you have a pair of shoes that are comfortable and are working for you, like Mikkey has pointed out.

You're going to get different points of view on forums.  I'm struggling to see what part of this is snarky.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

skim1124

Running to eat

This Jason/MarkyMark exchange seems to be a classic case of one person asserting a personal experience vs. another making a general statement: the cushioning in Hokas work well for me and have kept me injury free vs. cushioning doesn't necessarily lead to injury prevention for everyone.  It's like George Burns saying that smoking cigars didn't keep him from living a long life vs. smoking is not good for your health.  In both examples, neither assertion refutes the truth of the other.  I think it'd be more useful if we can all not get defensive or take things personally, but learn to hold both ideas in our minds: that what's true for me might not be suitable for general application, and also that what research suggests is generally true might not apply to every individual.  I think we all know this to be true in principle, but when actually debating issues important to us, we can forget in the heat of the argument.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I'm here to say that the big cushy shoes absolutely prevent and heal injuries.  Why? Because I am a doctor and I said so.

Seriously though, Hokas are great...for me.

I have been running in the Challengers and Cliftons for a few years.  I inserted the Speedgoat last year.  I just inserted the Bondi 6.  I love them all.  I rotate through all four (I have one of each right now) on my runs and it works for me.  I need an OTC ortho insert and they fit perfect in my size of the Hoka.  Years ago, my first Hoka was the Stinson ATR.  I easily got 1000+ out of them.  My Cliftons and Challengers don't feel good after 600 miles.  I am hoping the Bondi lasts like the old Stinson ATRs. Only time and miles will tell.

An odd question for anyone who has the Bondi 6 - do you track your miles in RA and have you noticed that RA has it listed as Biondi not Bondi??? 

Now my rant - I have had two pairs of Hokas - both Cliftons - had a weird squeak with every step I took.  It was like there was an air bubble in the foam sole.  The shoe seems to work fine but the noise is super annoying.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

An odd question for anyone who has the Bondi 6 - do you track your miles in RA and have you noticed that RA has it listed as Biondi not Bondi??? 

That's weird, I see what you mean. However, if you choose "Hoka" as brand and type "Bondi" in the model, you'll see Bondi 6 come up (which is what my entry says).

Christirei

I just recently switched to the Clifton 6, first time i have worn a Hoka shoe and I really like them. i need a new pair soon (i'm just over 325 miles right now and figure they will last another couple of weeks at my current running volume) and have been looking around online for a deal. Right now the 6's all seem to be about $130 BUT there are lots of Clifton 5's for much cheaper.... but since i am new to the shoe i'm nervous about buying the older model. My normal is to buy up shoes i like when they go on sale, but again....never worn this brand or shoe before so not sure about the differences between the 5 and 6

Anyone out there who wore the 5 and now have the 6's? is there a big difference?? should i just go for it or stick with the shoes i know work?

I think the 6 beefed up a little of the outsole reinforcement and maybe changed up the upper a little.  I've worn all the versions and like the 6 best, but I doubt you would notice a difference in feel between the 5 and 6.   RoadrunnerSports often has online coupons if you do a search- or you can join VIP for $1.99 usually and get a good discount.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Christirei

Thanks! Roadrunner was one of the sites i looked at, and if i remember correctly they had the 5's on sale for maybe $80, which is a nice discount from the price of the 6's!!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Does anyone have any idea when the new Bondi's are coming out? I saw that the 7's will be out this year but no date.  Hoka has release dates for other models but I have not found the bondi release date yet.

I'm not sure that the 7 is worth waiting for. The 6 wasn't much of a change from the 5, and the 5 was thought of as "great" when it came out, so it can't be bad now that the 6 is out!

I'd get a deal on the 5 or 6, and a deal on the 7 next Spring.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I'm only waiting on the 7 in order to order a few of the 6's on sale.  I love the 6 and want to stock up, hence the question.  But to your point, hopefully they do not screw up the bondi on the 7th version.

I'm not sure that the 7 is worth waiting for. The 6 wasn't much of a change from the 5, and the 5 was thought of as "great" when it came out, so it can't be bad now that the 6 is out!

I'd get a deal on the 5 or 6, and a deal on the 7 next Spring.

I'm only waiting on the 7 in order to order a few of the 6's on sale.  I love the 6 and want to stock up, hence the question.  But to your point, hopefully they do not screw up the bondi on the 7th version.

Let us know if you see the 6 on sale.  I'm also a fan and have two pairs of the 6.  I also worry that the 7 won't be as good.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

Also in the same boat, though I did get on the brief REI bondi 6 for 75$ deal. I should have bought more than 1!