The one shirt you would never get rid of (Read 218 times)

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I only have three race shirts and I'll keep them all.  The first one I earned by running a series of races called the Polar Bear that started with a 5 K on New Years Day and culminated in a half marathon in March.  I did that when I was a senior in high school, with my dad who ran every race too.  He can't run any more and was recently diagnosed with cancer so that shirt means more to me now than ever before.

The other two race shirts are just pretty, from a trail run at a local nature center and they have a neat woodland scene on them.  Plus I came in first in both races so that was cool.

Leah, mother of dogs

spinach

The other two race shirts are just pretty, from a trail run at a local nature center and they have a neat woodland scene on them.  Plus I came in first in both races so that was cool.

A good point.  This reminds me of another shirt that i will probably keep, the Swan Lake Marathon from 2013. That was the first (only) marathon that I won. It is nice but not as special as the 76 New York one.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I will be pacing a friend at the Dallas marathon(5:30:00)

I'm writing a follow up column in two weeks (the Dallas Marathon is this Sunday so I have to write about that) and I'll post the link here.  I'm giving away a lot of socks with this one. Many of the stories are quite moving.  Spareribs

Fox Valley marathon(PR)2011 and Boston 2012.

PS: I will stop by the DRC booth on Friday.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

King of PhotoShop

I will be pacing a friend at the Dallas marathon(5:30:00)

Fox Valley marathon(PR)2011 and Boston 2012.

PS: I will stop by the DRC booth on Friday.

Runnerclay, I'm working the DRC booth on Saturday!  If you stop by Friday at DRC, tell them to say hi to Spareribs from you.  They'll know.  Good luck Sunday.   Spareribs

SubDood

I still have my 1994 Twin Cities Marathon t-shirt. It was my first marathon. Special for a couple reasons beyond that. My Dad drove me to the start and picked me up at the finish. He died of cancer a little more than a year later, and I always think of my Dad when I run that race. My finishing time was exactly 3:11:00. With the 59 second grace period then in effect, I missed qualifying for Boston by 1 second. The BAA sent me 2 letters: the first saying, "Congratulations, you qualified for Boston!" and the second saying, "Sorry! We goofed, but you were close and should try again." Lastly, the 1994 results are available (PDF image only), and when I scrolled to my result, I am right next to Steve De Boer, who has one of the longest daily running streaks -- over 45 years.

My Palo Duro Trail Run shirt from this past October. It was my first trail race. I was undertrained and really struggled--my time was S L O W, but I loved that race.

King of PhotoShop

I still have my 1994 Twin Cities Marathon t-shirt. It was my first marathon. Special for a couple reasons beyond that. My Dad drove me to the start and picked me up at the finish. He died of cancer a little more than a year later, and I always think of my Dad when I run that race. My finishing time was exactly 3:11:00. With the 59 second grace period then in effect, I missed qualifying for Boston by 1 second. The BAA sent me 2 letters: the first saying, "Congratulations, you qualified for Boston!" and the second saying, "Sorry! We goofed, but you were close and should try again." Lastly, the 1994 results are available (PDF image only), and when I scrolled to my result, I am right next to Steve De Boer, who has one of the longest daily running streaks -- over 45 years.

What an outstanding post Sub.  Sadness, heartbreak and humor all mixed in.   Spareribs

2011...my runnin brother and his wife made me a shirt for my 1st boston marathon. it is and they are extremely important to me...not because of the shirt alone but for the journey that came and continues to come with it.

sorry if you can't see it...i just spent forever trying to get it to appear.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

King of PhotoShop

Here is my follow up article.  Leslie Ames, one of the winners, is a regular on the Masters Forum here.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/runningheadlines/2015/12/21/winners-shirt-refuse-lose-feetures-socks

Spareribs