Potty training (Read 563 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

of course, when you are all happy that you're child is potty-trained, you get stuck in horrendous traffic and you hear the dreaded 'daddy...i have to go poopoo', then commence driving like a maniac to the next rest stop or McDonalds.
    We were lucky to have a plastic bag in our car once, when it took us 3 hours to drive 2.5 miles through Boston!! Shocked
    snooz_bar

Lots of great advice on here but I am compelled to chime in here also since our daughter just turned two recently. It takes time and each kid is different, agreed, but a if you can get books and videos for the child about this from your library (or purchase), it will help a lot. That is what we did and she isn't going by herself yet but she is always letting us know when she thinks she might have to go "poopoopotty". So with some patience I'm confident it will happen and this may work for you too. Good luck... Kyle
        I agree. Patience is definately the key. We used skittles when our DS1 would use the potty. And stickers. After he got 10 stickers, we would load up and go get ice cream. He thought this was great. I think he would have peed and pood in the plastic potty for 5 more years if he could go get ice cream every couple days. Big grin We even let him pee outside in the bushes if he would just do it somewhere besides in the diaper. Really, all our silly stuff we did was helpful, but what really did it for him was finally saying bye-bye to the pullups. We went cold turkey to undies, and after 2 messes, he was pretty much trained. He's really stubborn, so I'm sure he would still be in pullups if I hadn't stopped using them. Roll eyes The other thing that really helped for him was seeing the other boys at Church (mothers morning out) do it. Something about 5 little boys lined up in the bathroom. I'm sure it's different with girls though.
        Lisa3.1

I agree. Patience is definately the key. We used skittles when our DS1 would use the potty. And stickers. After he got 10 stickers, we would load up and go get ice cream. He thought this was great. I think he would have peed and pood in the plastic potty for 5 more years if he could go get ice cream every couple days. Big grin We even let him pee outside in the bushes if he would just do it somewhere besides in the diaper. Really, all our silly stuff we did was helpful, but what really did it for him was finally saying bye-bye to the pullups. We went cold turkey to undies, and after 2 messes, he was pretty much trained. He's really stubborn, so I'm sure he would still be in pullups if I hadn't stopped using them. Roll eyes The other thing that really helped for him was seeing the other boys at Church (mothers morning out) do it. Something about 5 little boys lined up in the bathroom. I'm sure it's different with girls though.
          that's funny Yours and Kirsten's idea of using stickers, and skittles, is a Great idea. & I am also going to try to get our son to get used to undies, no p.u.'s, and see if that would do it.

Prophet!

that's funny Yours and Kirsten's idea of using stickers, and skittles, is a Great idea. & I am also going to try to get our son to get used to undies, no p.u.'s, and see if that would do it.
            yeah, we went straight to undies...pullups are expensive..We made such a huge deal out o wearing underwear, how cool it is, how all the other big kids are wearing it, how colorful they are, etc...
              What happened? Did this forum turn into a toddlers support group or something? It took my dog about a week to potty train. He was about 8 weeks when we adopted him. We did keep him in the crate at night and when we werent there for a long, long time. We left the door open the rest of the time and when we were home during the day, he would often go sleep in the crate because it felt like the place he was supposed to be.
              Ringmaster

Timing really is everything . . . my dd trained in about 5 days . . . but not until she was closer to 3. There's a great video out there called "Potty Power." It's adorable, though it will have you singing "No more diapers for me" for about a month. Of course, considering what diapers do to your budget, you might not mind so much . . .

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

I haven't had any kids yet so i haven't dealt with the problem of potty training but my parents informed me that when they potty trained my they told me that all i had to do was make water which apparently made perfect sense to my toddler mind and voila i was potty trained LOL Wink they taught my brother by having him aim for cheerios in the toilet which was like battleship and worked great for him...can't help you with the number 2 part though Big grin good luck!
                    yeah, we went straight to undies...pullups are expensive..We made such a huge deal out o wearing underwear, how cool it is, how all the other big kids are wearing it, how colorful they are, etc...
                    "Don't Pee Pee on Thomas" and "We don't poo poo on Lightning McQueen!" seems to work too. Makes 'em feel like they're going to ruin their friends day if they have an accident. (never mind Mommy or Daddy's day) Big grin Big grin It's really cute. I can still hear him saying "NNNOooooooooo, can't poo poo on Liken McMeeeeeen".......