outer arch pain-left foot (Read 61 times)

Snunicycler

i hurt myself like this last year so i'm trying to be careful with it.

Last year, i was running more than i ever had before, on worn out shoes. currently, i am only 159 miles into the saucony guide 2 shoes the local running store recommended. I'm not a huge fan of them but i figured... you know, if they help i'll give them a shot. Saturday i ran 8, (was scheduled for 7 but felt good during the run so i kept going). AFTER the run, i had some arch pain on the outside of my left Arch (like the bottom of the foot, not the side),  I iced it and it was better Sunday and i barely notice it now. However,This happened last year, and it eventually turned into ankle pain (peroneal tendonitis) about 2 months before my event. i had to stay off my feet for a little over a month, my marathon goal turned into a half marathon worth of intervals Sad but i'm trying again this year! I just want to make sure i don't make this worse. What can i do?

I iced it sautrday nightI have a TheraBand that a friend recommended for resistance exercises. My current plan is to continue doing those to strengthen the ankle and stuff but i wanted your thoughts, does this look like peroneal tendon issue? or something else that may progress into pt issue?  Also, i still want to keep running, i can right?arch pain location

Apparently the image i'm trying to post won't work, sorry -

Maybe this will work? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6hV8O2rhhwuODZ1OG0yRDlJeGpPSG85Q0I5RWJDdHNQMWFF/view?usp=drivesdk

Otherwise, the area green here is where i have pain, so maybe is Plantar Fasciitis? hadn't considered that.

my pain is the green one

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I get this pretty much instantly in a shoe that is too stiff. Right now the Hoka Hupana is about the best shoe I've found in terms of flexibility, cushion, and drop. I miss when Nike made Frees for running, rather than gym use. YMMV, but if you're in a relatively stiff shoe, it might be worth trying something with more flex.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

Firstly, don't panic. Little tweaks or pains pop up and resolve themselves in a few days usually. You may just have a hyper stress response from your run that day. See how next run pans out. Warm up area a lot before next run, soak foot in hot water and walk before you run.

Secondly, ditch your shoes or put them in a rotation with another model. Shoes are chosen based on how you feel in them vs someone telling you to choose a certain model. You don't seem confident in your shoes.

Thirdly, be sure you do strength work and flexibility work in calf and up the kinetic chain to hip/butt.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Snunicycler

Thanks for the advice! I totally agree with what both of you say.

Zoom Zoom: By far my favorite pair of shoes to run in were the Nike Free 4.0 v2, I loved how flexible and lightweight they were but i never went further than 4 miles in them. It's funny, the lady at the shoe store asked what i was looking for when i replacing the worn out Mizunos i had (which i also liked) and the Nike Frees were the first thing out of my mouth. She told me those were just "fashion shoes", not "running shoes", haha.

Tchuck: Thanks, ya i totally just bought into what the sales lady said - that i hurt myself because my shoes weren't running shoes and i didn't have enough support in them to help with the overpronation i never knew i had. Anyway, the advice about warming up my foot in water and starting with a walk sounds like really good advice. I only really focus on stretching before a run, and i never think about any other warm up, so maybe i should. Also I'll try to rotate in a new pair over the next few weeks.

Thanks!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoom Zoom: By far my favorite pair of shoes to run in were the Nike Free 4.0 v2, I loved how flexible and lightweight they were but i never went further than 4 miles in them. It's funny, the lady at the shoe store asked what i was looking for when i replacing the worn out Mizunos i had (which i also liked) and the Nike Frees were the first thing out of my mouth. She told me those were just "fashion shoes", not "running shoes", haha.

Yeah, the new ones are bad. I bought a pair in the past year and ended up returning them when the stupid suede tongue tore before I'd even put 25 miles on them.

Brooks made a great shoe that I loved, the Neuro...but discontinued it after only 2 generations. Total bummer. It was super flexible and had the perfect bouncy cushion and 6mm drop.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

OlgaBelivskaia

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16vBFNyHMuQtxwo0C72Gw3YNMsNBWa_tw3Dz-d5BPVvg/viewform?edit_requested=true