Can a marathon change your feet? (Read 1469 times)

juniordo1

null

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

#artbydmcbride

You have PF flaring up.  I don't think anyone knows definitively where it comes from, or what makes it go away again for everyone.  Don't wear the shoes that make you miserable right now, and do all the things PF sufferers do: ice, foot flexes, tape the arch, sleep in a sock etc. until it finally feels better.  Good luck!

Runners run

juniordo1

My brother has this, and he is not a runner.   It just sounds awful.   I hope you find some relief.

- Anya

Prince of Fatness

I have only run a couple of marathons but one thing that I noticed is that my feet smelled a lot worse after them.

Not at it at all. 

#artbydmcbride

Just your feet?

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Just your feet?

No, but I wanted to stay on topic.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I tried all the normal PF cures and nothing worked.  It was depressing and painful.

On a whim I tried spending most of the work week in Merrill Tough Gloves -- a very flexible, minimal-type shoe.  Improvement was fast and dramatic.  Almost a year later, I am pain free.  Not to say the PF is "gone", if I switch back to other shoes or do too much running in flats it can come back again to the point I know it is there...but more of a tightness and never painful like it used to be.

So consider trying some similar type of shoes...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I have had PF for ~9 months now. It's much improved - I very seldom notice it now; whereas a few months ago it was a constant problem. I switched from neutral shoes to shoes to "correct" over-pronation for most of my training. (Wave riders to wave inspires.) Other people report success doing exactly the opposite  - moving to racing flats or vibrams. So who knows?

What's odd is that the green SuperFeet are billed as the neutral ones of the set. But the plastic from midfoot to heel is still not flexible at all and won't let your foot bend very naturally.

juniordo1

#artbydmcbride

{{juniordo1}}   try scraping a towel on the floor towards you with your toes.   (pretty strange but it does make your feet feel better)

Runners run

juniordo1

null

You have PF flaring up.  I don't think anyone knows definitively where it comes from, or what makes it go away again for everyone. 

Champions are made when no one is watching

Well that didn't work very well -- I developed PF on my left foot last August and dealt with it until about Christmas time......and finally with some assistance from a foot dr, finally got it to go away.......and shortly thereafter, I developed it on my right foot in Jan - April.........(Just a quick look at my running log and you'll see when I was having PF issues)....

Finally after about 2 months off of running (as as result of unrelated surgery) my right foot finally stopped hurting too....but it was mostly 2 months of inactivity that worked for me....along side the fact that I did some 'Wrapping of my foot' which is basically what my Dr did.   BTW, you can find some decent videos of how to wrap your foot for PF and it really helps.....just GOOGLE it....and find one that works for you....

Now I'm running injury free again and building my mileage back up.....and overall it feels OK..but I do still get a bit of a ting for a day (sometimes)...and I normally cut back for that day again........

My Foot Dr said that wrapping (think its actually called 'Strapping') and taking time off is the best way to get PF to go away........and that is definitely what worked for me.......he didn't try to sell me orthodontics or tell me to wear weird shoes or anything strange like that...

Not advising you to take off ---- just telling you that when I finally took some time off, that was what worked for me......

Champions are made when no one is watching