2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

isn't awake yet. Not sure if you've tried this, but what helps me avoid stomach/bathroom issues on morning runs, is I first down one or two tall glasses of water while my coffee is brewing. Sometimes the coffee doesn't even finish brewing before that bathroom trip. Usually worst case scenario it takes that first cup of coffee and then it happens. The fail rate for this is probably < 1%.

Fallback if that doesn't get you there - I've found that a deep hip flexor stretch will get things moving.  I suspect it's because the stretch puts some pressure on the intestines, which shifts stuff a little, which gets things moving.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Thanks! It does take a bit of time to adjust to the whole morning thing. Have you thought of fueling with something that's not dairy or grains? I used to love stroopwafels but they all resulted in unplanned mid-workout stops for me.
      And 2 workouts in 12 hours? Boss.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Also Jmac, careful there. You're already changing one variable which is more mileage, you probably shouldn't be changing other variables at the same time (mornings vs afternoons), especially as you're pushing your limits in terms of mileage and on a short training cycle as well.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - good luck with the smoke. Hard to keep up running with that.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough. - Roger Allen Wade.

I found a bib for CIM. I'm unsure if I want it. Mostly because I doubt my current ability/commitment to an NYC qualifier, and perhaps I'd be bad luck to keen.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

keen - I just assume you eat a pound of beef for breakfast at 4 am from previous posts. I can't remember the last breakfast I had that did not have grains.

Flavio - I like the way you think, allowing me to stay lazy. The only variable I am forced to change is running doubles. I don't know if it's really possible to run 90+ MPW without doubling up while keeping injury risk as low as possible. Just adding one 5 mile run per week.

RP - obviously you have to run CIM. After my marathon, I plan on sticking around this thread through early December, and it wouldn't be the same if I don't get to track you and cal at CIM. Hopefully we break the tradition of "oh no, I hope he's okay" with keen. I think this will be the year 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I hope this is the year, too!
              I assume you were joking about the "pound of beef for breakfast", but on higher mileage/workout days a pound of hamburger (plus some fruit or something) is a very common lunch. My wife calls it "bowl o' beef".
              Thankfully my parents do some ranching, so I have a good connection for grass fed/finished beef.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Aqi = TREE FIDDY!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

cinnamon girl

People 'will be invited' to pay $400 for this? 

The US$380 / US$390 championship entry fee (US / international athletes) will also include the 2023 AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Championship medal, the Bank of America Chicago Marathon medal, and an exclusive gift that runners will receive during race pack collection.

Aqi = TREE FIDDY!

Ugh.  Ours has actually cleared up now and is in the green. Now I just have to wash off all the ash that’s caked onto my car. And of course this weekend would have been PERFECT racing weather. If my bad weather luck was used up last weekend on my half, but is compensated on marathon day, of course it is well worth it. If only it worked that way.

Dave

mmerkle

Race Report:

Ran the Burke Lake 10k today. Did a 3 mile warm up both to get more miles in and break in my new shoes. This race was out and back with the first and last half mile on road and the rest on a trail, some parts dirt, some parts gravel. The trail is fairly flat but has a few twists and turns. Not many roots and rocks to have to dodge though.

This was a very low key local club race, so I led the whole way, which is nice but sometimes I like having someone pushing me to go faster. Anyway, 5k splits were almost exactly even, but this felt a little awkward because I haven't run a 10k in a while. I probably could have pushed just a bit harder.

Two mile cool down afterwards to bring me to 11 for the day, which isn't terrible. Overall time 38:10 unofficial.

Fishyone

Nice work MMerk! How did the new shoes work out?

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

mmerkle

Nice work MMerk! How did the new shoes work out?

Thanks! They're great, I got the Hoka Clifton 8. This is my 2nd pair of Hokas, last was the Rincon. Definitely a Hoka fan now, but I still like Brooks as well, such as the Ghost or Launch. The Brooks are heavier but very durable. Hokas are lighter but get torn up more quickly. Both have great cushioning. Just my take anyway.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That's a pretty good time and should set you up nicely to attempt a sub 3:00. I think most people think they need sub 38 to feel comfortable about going for sub 3 but you didn't seem pushed at all so I imagine you would have ran that time if it was a competitive race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mmerkle

That's a pretty good time and should set you up nicely to attempt a sub 3:00. I think most people think they need sub 38 to feel comfortable about going for sub 3 but you didn't seem pushed at all so I imagine you would have ran that time if it was a competitive race.

Thanks for the input. I'm considering doing a half marathon the 3d week of October since that's a month out. I've heard the "magic number" for a sub 3 is a sub 1:25, I guess on a reasonable course that is. I'm between doing the half and doing one last good long run of 18-20 miles that weekend.

CalBears

I believe you need around 39 minutes 10K time to run sub 3 with a decent weekly mileage under your belt. When I was running low 38, I was in low 2:50 marathon shape - consistently. 38:10 means you are fast enough for confident sub 3, the rest depends on your endurance and wise pacing.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile