Issues with my new Garmin 110 (Read 342 times)

@runjerseygirl

For the life of me I can't get the damned thing to connect to the computer.  Every time I try to upload the data, it says there is no Garmin connected.  I've tried here, DailyMile, Garmin Connect, etc.  I've cleaned the contacts, plugged the USB port in first and then connected, connected the Garmin first and then plugged it in.  It just won't connect.  I've been working on this for the last 30 minutes.  If I can't get this to work, or if it's a fight every time, I'm going to end up returning it.  Ugh!  Anyone have advice?

Do you even run?

I'm NOT a PC guru so I just had to fumble my way through it. I had this problem when I first got my 110.

I know that once I have made good contact between the 110 watch,USB/charger cable,and computer,my 110's face will show that the battery is charging. If you don't get that icon on the watch face,I believe you have a bad connection somewhere.

Maybe a bad USB cable?

Also,it takes a few minutes sometimes for my computer to recognize that the watch is plugged in. I can hook everything up,have good contact,and sometimes it takes a few minutes but a window will pop up showing my watch is connected to my PC.

Weather connecting to my charger or the PC,the connection from the 4 prong clip to the watch can be tricky. Sometimes I'll think I have a good connection,and no go. I just have to keep at it till I have it hooked up correctly. Once I did it a few times I got the hang of it.

HTH

When you plug the USB cable into your computer with your Garmin attached, is your computer showing that you have a new drive mounted? If you look under 'My computer' a new drive should be displayed once you connect.  Is this happening?  Also, if your sound is on, you will generally hear a sound that alerts you that you just connected a USB device. Is that happening?

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

an amazing likeness

First things first, make sure the underlyng Garmin Communicator stuff is working. Garmin has a test page that will tell you if your Garmin Communicator is working:  Garmin Test page

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the Garmin Communicator: Link to Garmin site for Windows

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

http://www.runningahead.com/help/InstallGarmin

First things first, make sure the underlyng Garmin Communicator stuff is working. Garmin has a test page that will tell you if your Garmin Communicator is working:  Garmin Test page

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the Garmin Communicator: Link to Garmin site for Windows

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

I have similar problems with my 110 and I think it's the poor design of the inset contacts which traps dirt and oils that prevents proper contact with the clip.  I resorted to washing the watch every time after my runs with hand soap and water, and then rub a fluffy towel hard against the contacts.  That seemed to help.  After you connect it to the computer, do you see it as a removable drive?  If not, then Garmin Communicator won't see it.

@runjerseygirl

Thanks for your help everyone!  I was finally able to get it to connect.  Once the computer recognizes it, I'm good to go.  Everything uploads and I'm a happy girl.  It's just getting the stupid thing to connect to the computer.

Do you even run?