Runner dies taking ibuprofen + supplements (Read 656 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Motrin IS a brand name for ibuprofen. Motrin IS ibuprofen. So is Advil.

Know what you are putting into your body.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Yep, as someone who had a perforated  ulcer partially from NSAID use while training with a tendon injury... NSAIDs can be bad news.  My doctor has banned me from using them entirely.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

pedaling fool

Agreed.  That said, there seems to be a growing body of evidence which indicates the use of NSAIDs can inhibit recovery from workouts which in turn nets lower performance in folks using them.  This is of course just my impression as I've only seen/heard about a few studies either way, however, following the old, "Where there's  smoke there's fire" adage, I rarely used them before I started hearing those reports, and I don't use them at all now.

Same here, there's just no use for them, at least in my case; if I'm hurting that bad I just take a day or two off and let the body heal naturally. I'm pushing 50 and many people I know around my age swear by them, it's like they need them to workout; if for no other reason that is reason enough [dependency] to stay away from them.

But I've also heard of all the other possible negative side effects. I have no use for them.

What a mistaken bad rap for motrin that "YOU" all are jumping on.  No where in the actual report does the corner say the ifoprofin (motrin) was the major contributing factor in his death.  It's the last thing he listed out of something like 8 factors.

"Cause of death was contributed to by an "idiosyncratic reaction" to hyperthermia, dehydration, endurance exertion, hyperosmolar sports supplements and ibuprofen, she said"

No where does it give his complete medical history or what else he was taking.  There have been lots of medical reports of people dieing or having issues taken supplements, Red bull and other supplements verese the 35 years of documented history of motrin, but what do you all jump on, the ibuprofen.  I for one have been taking it for 35 years and have no problems or issues with it.  The anti-inflamatory in it are outstanding and the use of it is wide spread.  there are millions of people taking it everyday, but we are quick to jump on a rare instance of someone dieing on it without all of the facts, knowledge and without a Medical degree.  I'll contine to listen to my DR who thinks it's good for me.

So in the meantime, why don't all of the smokers, steady drinkers, cafine users and recreational drug users give up the stuff that has a proven and documented history or being bad for us as well as all of the unregulated sport supplements, vitamins and the multitude of ogranic products out there including Gatorade and Poweraid and stop bashing the regulated medicines of the world.  Sure there are bad effects, listen to any add on TV on any medicine and there are potential side effects, that effect a few and not the mass that theyt help, otherwise they wouldn't be approved and even more so like Motrin/ibuproven, approved for over the counter sale wihtout a prescription.

I'll continue to use my Motrin, recommended and approved by my DR as needed and not only as needed, but in advance of activities that I believe will require it.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

we are quick to jump on a rare instance of someone dieing on it without all of the facts, knowledge and without a Medical degree.

Well. Actually, since you asked, I DO have a medical degree. And just because something is over the counter does not mean it is safe in all uses.

Joann Y

Well. Actually, since you asked, I DO have a medical degree. And just because something is over the counter does not mean it is safe in all uses.

Agree

The key operative is "ALL" and isn't that basically what I indicated in commenting on all of the listed side effects with every medication advertised?  If we listend to the adds, we wouldn't take any medications and is that something you would promote with a medical degree? All medicines (Regulated) have more positives vs negatives and despite what we believe in their regulation it doesn't come easy.

Why do so many DRs suggest taking asprin everyday as being healthy and good for the heart, yet if we require surgery or something they say don't take it for X amount of time.  Or taking my Simvastatin as bad for some things, yet good for my cholestoreol!  It all comes down to each individual and what else they are taking or doing vs blaming it one factor as the direction this blog went.  The majority blamed it or jumped on the band wagon of the ibuprofin when in fact the Ccorner's report did not say it was a major factor and listed 7 other factors first?

I've had a series of health issue the past 4 years and have beat the odds for now and taking Motrin certainly hasn't had a negative effect on "ME".  I recently ran a HM with over 1600 runners and do you think I'm only one running taking Motrin or Ibuprofin?  Of course not!  So let's promote knowing what you are putting into your body and system, it's reaction to what else you are taking and what other symptons you have have vs jumping on and bad mouthing one particular item that was the 8th of 8 items listed in his death.

Larry a user of Mortin for 35+ years, long before it was available over the counter.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Larry, Trent is not jumping on this case to advise against Ibuprofen. He has been advising against mixing it with dehydration for years, I think.

See his link earlier.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

TJoseph

I have been reading this forum for a few years and I am posiive Trent DOES have a medical degree.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have been reading this forum for a few years and I am posiive Trent DOES have a medical degree.

His specialty is genetic modifications on monkeys, right?

DaBurger

So let's promote knowing what you are putting into your body and system, it's reaction to what else you are taking and what other symptons you have have vs jumping on and bad mouthing one particular item that was the 8th of 8 items listed in his death.

from article:

Cause of death was contributed to by an "idiosyncratic reaction" to hyperthermia, dehydration, endurance exertion, hyperosmolar sports supplements and ibuprofen, she said.

dunno about you, but those first 3 seem like pretty common things to come together during a long cold weather race, and the fact that the coroner was saying, "yeah, everything he did was by the book" raises the flag that you should be careful about/know what you put in your body.

Which, if you haven't noticed has been everyone's point the entire time, its just that side effects of ibuprofen are well defined and known so it's used as an example, the "supplements" seems pretty nebulous.

Know thyself.

There weren't 8 factors listed, there were 5, and 3 of them make up a combination that is generally considered to have relatively rare but potentially deadly risks to endurance athletes.

It doesn't sound like it was completely idiosyncratic. Most runners have been warned about the dangers of mixing dehydration, endurance events and ibuprofen. This type of reaction might be rare, but it's not unheard of.

For me, even though the risk of kidney failure or some other really serious outcome might be low, the benefits of using ibuprofen during a race just don't justify the risk.

That said, the fact Trent has a medical degree does not mean he is not an idiot.

Runners run

dennrunner

Damn.  I think maybe someone has heard the words, "You shouldn't take so much Motrin" a few too many times.

TJoseph

That said, the fact Trent has a medical degree does not mean he is not an idiot.

Do the two nots cancel each other out in that sentence?  At any rate, I had nothing to add to the conversation that had not already been said.  I am pretty good at what I do for a living, but that has nothing to do with medical science, so I am willing to give Trent the benefit of the doubt that he is good at what he does for a living.  I could be wrong.