And I thought *I* was a shoe whore... (Read 1229 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yikes! I have 3-4 pair that I currently am using. One pair I may send back, since I have only had them less than 2 months and onlineshoes.com has a 90 day satisfaction guarantee...they are my NB 857s and I think they are a little too stable for me (some runs in them are good, others they are too stiff and make my shins crabby). So what shoes do you have in rotation? In addition to my NB 857s I have the following (all wide width)... • NB 1222 - thus far my favorite shoe, moderate stability, cushioned. I'm about 200 miles into my second pair. • NB 767 - 100 miles into second pair. Less stable, less cushioned. Fairly lightweight. Wore the all-weather model all Winter. • Asics Gel Kayano XIII - brand new...only 2.5 miles on them. They are comparable to the NB 1222. On first run they felt a bit less cushy, but they are also not broken-in, yet. I think the arch is a bit better for me, though. When I'm ready to replace my NB 767 I will probably go with the Saucony ProGrid Omni 6 Moderate. I tried those on the other day and they were my second choice after the Asics. About $45 cheaper, too, so they'd be nice to have for shorter runs...not real keen on spending $135 on a pair of shoes more than I have to. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

PWL

Has been

I am currently rotating between the Saucony ProGrid Triumph, the Asics Gel Kinsei, and the Saucony Grid Trigon Ride for road shoes. I then have a pair of Brooks Cascadia Pivot for my trail running. Oh yeah, I have a pair of New Balance 790's that I race in. Yeah--I'm a boy shoe whore! Roll eyes

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

mikeymike

1 trainer, 1 racer and 1 almost-retired-trainer for rainy days.

Runners run

1 trainer, 1 racer and 1 almost-retired-trainer for rainy days.
          Cheapskate!!! Wink

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

When I'm ready to replace my NB 767 I will probably go with the Saucony ProGrid Omni 6 Moderate. I tried those on the other day and they were my second choice after the Asics. About $45 cheaper, too, so they'd be nice to have for shorter runs...not real keen on spending $135 on a pair of shoes more than I have to.
            Did they also have you try GT-2120's (or whatever the current GT series is up to)? If the Kayanos work for you, I think the GT series fits similar. I love my Kayanos but hope to switch back to GT's when I get my weight down to save $$4 BTW, my shoe rotation is 2 pairs of Kayanos. Rotate every run so that each pair gets at least 48hr rebound time between runs.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did they also have you try GT-2120's (or whatever the current GT series is up to)? If the Kayanos work for you, I think the GT series fits similar.
              I didn't try those on...and I am leery (though I have read some comparisons that find them to be like a more stripped-down version of the Kayano). I read SO many negative reviews of the shoe, particularly in terms of heel slippage, something I tend to have issues with, anyhow...damned duck feet with narrow heels... Tongue Probably would be a good idea to hit Gazelle again when it's time to get my secondary shoes, though... k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Be sure to try your new shoes under varying conditions (speedwork, uphill, downhill) to be sure you've got a goood fit/match. I've had shoes that seemed fine until I did hills; then I got blisters and bunched up in the toe box.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yup, though I will probably be staying away from hills for a bit longer. Seems that my arch issues started right around the time that I picked hills back up in the late Winter/early Spring. My foot is doing much better, now (I really think wearing shoes at all times in the house is a major factor, too), so I'm getting back to speedwork very carefully. Today I will do a sort of medium-length easy run, Weds. tempo, Thurs. easy, and then a long run on Sat. I figure I should have a pretty good idea how they will be working after ~30 miles run in them--at least I hope. k

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I have 1 pr of trainers, 1 pr of racers (at least I use them strictly for that), and 1 pr of trail shoes. I do have a few older pairs sitting around, mostly because I haven't gotten rid of them yet. I'm lazy that way.
                      I have 3 pairs of the same shoe (NB 857) - 1 pair is almost shot, just started the second pair in the rotation a week or two ago, and the third pair is still in the box until the first pair hits the garage or the trash. I may have to steal borrow mikeymike's idea of using the smelliest pair for rainy/muddy days.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

mikeymike

I think it's interesting the original poster in the linked thread was a beginner triathlete. Triathletes have to be the biggest gear whores ever, in all facets of life. So it's not surprising a triathlete will own more running shoes than most runners. You can always spot a triathlete in a crowd of people in street cloths. They're the ones with all the latest brand-name sporty looking clothing, sunglasses, watch, shoes, phone, iPod, back-pack/shoulderbag, etc.

Runners run

You'll ruin your knees!

3 pr Montrail Hardrock, 1 pr 10.5 near retirement, 2 pr 11 one middle-aged, one still in the box 1 pr Montrail Leona Divide size 11, upper-middle aged 1 pr Montail Masai size 10.5 middle aged, but not getting much use right now 1 pr Montrail Hurricane Ridge (GoreTex) size 11, don't get too much use in TX 1 pr Asics 2110 112E middle aged 1 pr Asics 211o 114E middle aged (back-up shoe when everything else feels too tight)

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

madness baby

You can always spot a triathlete in a crowd of people in street cloths. They're the ones with all the latest brand-name sporty looking clothing, sunglasses, watch, shoes, phone, iPod, back-pack/shoulderbag, etc.
                            Or it could just be someone in LA. Juicy sweats always give it away. I have 1 good pair - Nike Air Equalons. 1 pair of Mizunos that are a little too small and can only handle short runs. My other pair of Asics are crap and I vow right now to donate them this weekend.
                            deb
                              Current Runners Saucony - Hurricane 8 ~ 270 miles inc one Half Marathon Saucony - Hurricane 9 ~ 100 miles inc one Marathon Previously tried and failed runners Mizuno ~ Good for sprints / track ~ too light and not enough support for distance running Asics Gel ~ Good for running trails - but cause blisters after about 4 mi Brooks ~ good for mowing the lawn and that's about it. Ouch!
                                So being the good scout leader that I am, I'm trying to set a good example for my young charges by trying to earn the Zoomy's Shoe Whore Merit Badge. Actually, I just went into the Fort Worth Running Company to sign up for a race and I noticed the guy had a treadmill and video camera setup. So I told him maybe I was looking for something a little lighter than the NB 857s I wear. He watched me run in those and then went in the back and brought out a couple different pairs and had me run in those for a bit too. They both felt great and I ended up buying the pair of Mizuno Wave Riders. The other pair were Nike Pegasus (I think). Both of these pairs are Neutral. The guy at the store I got the NB 857s said I was a moderate (or more) pronator after watching me walk 15 yards barefooted. Mind you I saw this guy 20 pounds ago and when I had just started running. The NBs are High Stability. I mentioned the discrepancy to the guy and he simply said "You're a neutral". I had no idea what I was looking at on the video, but he certainly was confident, so I went with it. Any one else have experience with, what seems to me, such very different choices of shoe type? My running buddies at work say they have read/heard that people don't normally change "types". Mind you, I'm not too worried about it, just wondering really. I fully plan to run plenty of miles in the Mizunos before I try them at long distances and keeping an eye out for any trouble.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?