ANyone do Treadmill Time Trials (Read 152 times)

For various reasons I can't race on Saturdays (both work and kids' schedules), which is when most of the races in our area tend to be.  Since I stopped running the occasional race, I've been getting slower at an alarming rate. Could just be the lower mileage without the motivation of a race to look forward to or I am aging faster than I realize.

Would a treadmill time trial once a month be an acceptable alternative? There is no way I can run solo outdoors anywhere close to race pace. Idea is to set the TM at close to 5k pace and hanging on, and see how far I can hold it before giving in.

FWIW, the effort for my easier runs seems to be a bit more on the treadmill than it would be for the same pace outside, especially the latter miles tend to get easier outdoors and considerably harder on the mill (boredom?).

I'd do whatever, even if it meant driving a little further, to find Sunday or weekday races. There's just no substitute for a race. On the other hand, do what you have to to stay motivated - but I think you've read enough Michigan Flyer threads to know the real answer to this.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      Joann Y

I would go with what Ntown just said. I will occasionally do a 1 mile time trial on the treadmill to see where I am with my 1 mile time. Kind of fun and maybe an indicator of potential if not also progress.

mikeymike

I've never tried it because I just can't even imagine but I suspect I could not come within a minute of my "real" 5k time if I ran it on a treadmill. I've done some big workouts where I was running say 10 mile race pace for various segments but that's a lot different than trying to run actual 5k race pace for any length of time. I've done strides at 5k pace on the mill and it feels fecking crazy.

Runners run

I guess I avoid treadmills at all cost, because the effort always feels harder on a treadmill compared to outside. Could you possibly gain access to an indoor track for just an hour or so to try out your time trials?

Prairie running is peace.

I have been a regular treadmill runner over the years, initially due to necessity, in recent years, because I actually enjoy it (I know, I'm rare!). I have found it a great tool to do speed work, time trails etc., and as part of my training include sessions over different distances to gauge where I am. Tempo runs are my fave on the machines, as you can actually see what you are pushing yourself towards. A good treadmill run, will set me up for a race, and raise the confidence levels..   I'd say, go for it, and use it to re-motivate....

Eweis

I actually love treadmills. But you need to set the incline to 1 to 1.5% and, more importantly you have to make sure the speed and incline are both calibrated.  The 1+% is what I have found to equal the same effort heart rate etc as outside

Charles G

I can much faster on the treadmill because I am very stiff and can't sprint anymore. Last time I ran 9 minutes faster for four miles than my recent best time outside. But I don't use one very often.