Farewell 50 Pounds... (Read 1156 times)

OCBrian, almost.  Ideally, I'm aiming for 165-170, but I'm going to let my body fat percentage do the final deciding.  With the miles I've been putting in, most of the weight loss just takes care of itself these days.

Everyone else, thank you!  For most of my time here I've just lurked (but that's been changing lately), but having the training log and the forum has been extremely helpful.  All of you are an inspiring bunch.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

an amazing likeness

I read this NY Times article 'Why Even Resolute Dieters Often Fail' a few times over to really get to the gist of its points. 

As someone who has lost 65 +/- pounds and not regained it over the past 5+ years...I found my personal experience tracked very much in-line with those made by the researchers.  Mainly, small and sustainable changes win the battle of the long haul.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I read this NY Times article 'Why Even Resolute Dieters Often Fail' a few times over to really get to the gist of its points. 

As someone who has lost 65 +/- pounds and not regained it over the past 5+ years...I found my personal experience tracked very much in-line with those made by the researchers.  Mainly, small and sustainable changes win the battle of the long haul.

Thanks for the link!  

The biggest dietary changes I've made are 1) no more soda (used to be a big drinker of it), 2) fried foods only rarely (1-2 a month), 3) red meat only once a week (used to be too often to be anything other than embarrassing), and 4) greatly reduce sugar intake.  The rest of the loss I credit to the increased activity level, which I think I am slowly (quickly?) becoming addicted to.  When I'm having a bum week I might count calories, but not so often.  My hope is that these things are sustainable long term...

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

PDoe

Completely awesome. Sincere congratulations and respect.

Treadmill Addict

WOW! That's awesome! Congrats, and well done on all your hard work. 

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

Slice

That's an amazing weight loss and a fantastic way to lose it! No crazy diet, no bypass needed...just healthy choices and exercise. I hope you inspire others around you to join in on your healthy ways. Great job!

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning