Knee Pain Before a Race... (Read 137 times)

Better I Leave

Dammit!

All I wanted to do was an easy, long run on the TM tonight, right? OK...So I'm taking a nice, easy pace of 9:41 and had planned for 10 miles. The plan was for 10 miles tonight, tomorrow off, 6 miles on Thursday and then no running until my HM on Sunday. So what happens? at 6 miles I suddenly develop a fairly sharp pain on the outside of my left knee. I "throttle down" to a walking pace of 4mph I make it to 6.25 and I stop.

I honestly don't know what happened and now I'm worried. I have full mobility, no swelling, and I can put full weight on it, but there is definite pain. I popped some naprosyn and I'm praying it's only temporary and I'll wake up fine in the morning. Being a noob I was wondering if some of you veterans have experienced an instance such as this and what did you do?

I'm hoping I'll be pain free tomorrow so I can do my long run tomorrow, a short run Thursday, and then rest until my HM. Any advice/suggestions and/or experience is much appreciated. TIA folks. Smile

JML

ITB?

Ice it and stretch.  If you have a foam roller, roll it out from your knee to the hip.  Consider skipping the Thursday run or making it just an easy 2-3  miles.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Better I Leave

Kewlness. My wife still has the ice wrap from her ACL Therapy...I think I'll strap that bad dog on right now. Muchas gracias. I do hope to get one more run in before the HM, but I'll be running it even if I don't...provided I'm pain free.

Tiefsa

Kewlness. My wife still has the ice wrap from her ACL Therapy...I think I'll strap that bad dog on right now. Muchas gracias. I do hope to get one more run in before the HM, but I'll be running it even if I don't...provided I'm pain free.

If your goal is to make it through the 1/2 marathon, I think you'll be fine.  I had some knee problems in college, and I ran through them for 2 weeks during the CC season.  I raced really well, on the first one, and my knee was still sore but manageable.  Then I pushed it through a second week of workouts and then raced again.  It was another good race, but my knee was fried for over a month after it.  Be careful with that knee!

Better I Leave

If your goal is to make it through the 1/2 marathon, I think you'll be fine.  I had some knee problems in college, and I ran through them for 2 weeks during the CC season.  I raced really well, on the first one, and my knee was still sore but manageable.  Then I pushed it through a second week of workouts and then raced again.  It was another good race, but my knee was fried for over a month after it.  Be careful with that knee!

Thanks, and I will most definitely be taking care of it. Ya know...At 53, I've never had knee problems, and I've hacked squatted some damn heavy weight (1100lbs for a Personal Best back in my 30s). Never had problems when lifting, but running! Wow...Running is tough on the body. Since I've started running, I've developed a newly found respect and admiration for runners. I tell my lifting friends that if they really want to "push" their bodies...they should try running on a regular basis.

Better I Leave

ITB?

Ice it and stretch.  If you have a foam roller, roll it out from your knee to the hip.  Consider skipping the Thursday run or making it just an easy 2-3  miles.

So last night I took your advice to heart. I took some naprosyn, iced my knee, stretched..and this morning my knee feels fine. From the pain I was feeling last night I really was worried I had hurt myself rather badly and wouldn't be able to do my HM this weekend. I still think I'm going to rest today and then a short run tomorrow...**sigh** I wanted a long run in before my half, but I don't want to risk it so close now. Regardless, I know I'll finish.

Thanks for the advice my friend, it really helped.

cmb4314

So last night I took your advice to heart. I took some naprosyn, iced my knee, stretched..and this morning my knee feels fine. From the pain I was feeling last night I really was worried I had hurt myself rather badly and wouldn't be able to do my HM this weekend. I still think I'm going to rest today and then a short run tomorrow...**sigh** I wanted a long run in before my half, but I don't want to risk it so close now. Regardless, I know I'll finish.

Does sound like it could be ITB related, and I think it's a good idea to take today off.  I've had trouble with mine on two separate occasions (including right now, blah) and ITBS can be a persistent PITA.

The first time, I went from fine to injured in a split second in the middle of a run - just got a shooting pain in my knee and had to stop.  This time, it has come on much more gradually - it started with mild soreness and got a bit worse, but I have been able to run through it by taking good care of it with ice/foam rolling/etc.  Really, I only have half a darn week of training in this marathon program before I get to my taper.

Since this is my second go round with it, I'm actually seeing a PT on Friday.  I have to figure out the root cause of the injury and hopefully will get something to help me through the race.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Better I Leave

Does sound like it could be ITB related, and I think it's a good idea to take today off.  I've had trouble with mine on two separate occasions (including right now, blah) and ITBS can be a persistent PITA.

The first time, I went from fine to injured in a split second in the middle of a run - just got a shooting pain in my knee and had to stop. 

That's exactly how it happened to me. There I was running along at a nice easy pace thinking about how I'm feeling good and gonna hit 10 miles and then....WHAM....pain. Today I feel fine and it's awfully hard to "force" myself not to run, ya know?

JML

Happy to help.  Have a good race.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

gracieallen

One day i planed to run over 10k before i plan this even i don't have regular running practice so after the run i got severe leg pain i used ice with my legs quite relief i got with that remedy. After few week i got knee pain, i didn't understand what happen why i got this pain before i ever got this then i consult my doctor he suggested knee pain supplement. I used it now got perfect relief from knee pain.....

Physiotherapy

Along with the hip and ankle, it supports the body when standing, walking, climbing and during sports activities.Evaluation of the RA knee is an important prerequisite for identifying the anatomic structure or structures that are causing pain limiting function and also for determining whether the tissue is in the acute or chronic stage of recovery.

knee pain