More miles than degrees (Read 1384 times)

xor

We had a reacord low this morning of 27F, but I didn't run 27 miles.   The low this weekend for the Disney marathon is 27F, so I 'll be close.

If it is 27, then you will go over because the hike from the parking lot to the staging area followed by the hike from the staging area to the corrals is way more than .8 miles.

GST

It seems like in past years there has been a thread for this, so I figured we needed one for this winter.  Who's done a run this season where the miles put in outnumber the degrees of temperature?  Temps are in Fahrenheit, and staying inside when the temps are below zero doesn't count!

I racked up my first two of these this weekend... 5 miles in -2 on Sat., and 15 miles in 8 degrees (at the start, anyway) on Sun.

I want to, but it tends to be difficult for non-ultrarunners in GA.

(Pretending for a second I can run any reasonable distance right now anyhow)

The other day it was a freakish 17F... I probably lost my best chance of the year right there. 

edit, addressed

This is why I run

1/3/10 I ran 8.5 miles and it was a balmy 8 degrees outside.  A few years ago I ran 12.5 miles at -1F near Sault Saint Marie, MI.  Actually took my mittens off the last 2 miles as my hands were burning up.
        Clydesdales shouldn't run in Five Fingers!

flatland mountaineer

4.2 m in -14 deg F act. air temp

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Imminent Catastrophe

Can we do this in Celsius? Because that would be pretty easy, I'm doing it right now.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

GST

heh, thank God for freak cold snaps, I actually did it this morning... (Only if you go by low or by median during run temperature, however, at finish, it was slightly warmer than my miles)  Big grin

17 miles, 13 feels like 2 at start, 19 feels like 8 at finish.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Finished The Frigid 5 Miler at North Park in Pittsburgh. It was 0oF to start and 3F at the finish. The winner was 28:00. I was 4th in AG at 39:46. Another good day to be alive.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Are you using high, low or average temperature?

Runners run

xor

Low, high, or average, I win the game today.

I hope to never ever play the game again unless I get talked into a 50 miler when it is 40 degrees.

Which, huh.  I've done that before. Twice.

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

January 2nd I did 5.5 miles at 7 degrees F and I'm now working on re-conditioning the new skin on my feet. 

Bill Wagnon / stl

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

flovesparko

14 miles today  6 deg F,   minus 8 with windshield.  I'm still cold.

You'll ruin your knees!

Great opportunity for this:

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/165517,antarctic-network-caretakers-in-demand.aspx

"Winter temperatures averaged -20 to -30 degrees".. so I could roll over and go back to sleep and still run more miles than degrees! 

...and hey, there are perks!

"Toiletries provided."

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Prince of Fatness

I made it yesterday morning.  14 degrees, 16 miles.

Not at it at all. 

Best Present Ever

I came close, and only ran 6.8 miles -- it was 7 degrees out.  I was overdressed and came  home hot.