Heavy legs decreased p/mi time (Read 60 times)

Ilovedonuts

Hi

I'm a recreational runner and have run a couple of marathons. I shaved off about 30 min of my time and got a 4:22 at LA Marathon with a 10min pace overall. I've continued training and haven't gained weight but I find that any running lately is extremely exhausting. How I feel now running 8 miles is how I used to feel after running 20.Now I'm at 11min miles. Mentally I want to put in the work and train like I haven't before. I want to do speed work over weekly mileage but I simply dont have the energy to lift my legs.  I'm 5'7" and 143lbs and take iron regularly as well as B12. I feel like someone cut my legs open and filled them with cement. I'm training for NY marathon in Nov and have 16 weeks. Does this sound like lactic acidosis or something else? Is there anything a Doc can do for this? Anyone have this issue?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It's hard to know without knowing more about how you run. If you are using the running log here at RA, change your settings to public so we can see what's going on. How many days are you running per week? How many miles per week? How much of your weekly mileage is speedwork and/or long run.

Heavy legs for me is a case of not recovered from the last run. Did you take some time off after LA and drop your mileage? Are you running on shoes that have too many miles? My legs start to feel it when my shoes need replacing.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Ilovedonuts

Thanks for responding CanadianMeg. Last week was the first time I did speed workouts. Normally, when I've trained myself, I just increase the mileage no more than 10% each week. For this marathon, I wanted to try a different plan because I can't seem to get faster.  I was trying to do the routines/tests from this book "Run Less Run Faster" and they have a track repeat on the 1st run, tempo on 2nd run and long run with either cross train or rest in between. As a test I ran 3K as hard as I could and could only do 28min. They use the 3K time as the basis of current fitness level and the times for all quality runs. I'm not doing any more mileage than normal but my legs just feel like I've been injected with cement. It's so hard to describe. I can't run fast enough to keep up with this book and it's speed work and not putting in enough miles is stressing me out. Anyway, thanks for responding. I got new shoes in Feb--very expensive Brooks shoes so they better not be falling apart!

an amazing likeness

You are out-training your current level of fitness.

You need a break, and time to recover.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Hi - don't know your location but it's gotten quite a bit hotter in DC over the past few weeks. Is it the same where you live? That'll sap your energy/pace big-time. FWIW, the RA heat misery index = air temp + dew point temp. So if it's 72F & 70F DP, you might feel worse than if it's 80F and 50F DP. --Christine