What do you do if you can't sleep the night before the race? (Read 723 times)

Help! I have a race tomorrow and I'm worried about being able to sleep tonight. Usually if I have any "big" thing coming up, its difficult for me to sleep and I take a Tylenol PM. I'm unsure if that would have a negative effect. Anyone with a similiar stress induced insomnia? What do you do ?
      I make sure I sleep the night before the night before the race. For me, race day adrenaline more than makes up for missing one night's sleep.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

well I personally wouldn't medicate myself the night before a race... but that's just my preferences. If I can't sleep I will take a book to the couch and try to crash their... sometimes I find I just need a change of scenery, and you won't disturb your significant other. While you might be tired, adrenaline will keep you going the morning of the race, and there's been studies done that show it takes a day or so for sleep lag to catch up with you. Good luck tommorrow! Smile
        JakeKnight

Sleep the night before race has zero or negligible impact on performance. That's backed up by both research and a mountain of anecdotal evidence. There are a lot of athletes - from joe schmoes to real elites - who don't sleep much the night before an event. And not just in running. Your sleep over the last week (and last night), and your diet, and your training ... are way more important. Shorter me: don't sweat it. Besides, if you stress about it ... you won't sleep. At all. Worrying about it is just counter-productive. You'll do fine. I've done marathons on zero sleep. No problem. But do *not* take a sleeping pill. Trust me. I tried that once. I woke up at mile 16 wondering where the Hell I was and why my feet hurt. I recommend beer and sex. With the former in moderation. Or you could print out one of Trent's posts on nutrition and read it in bed. You'll be snoozing in no time.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

A Saucy Wench

A little late now, but really it is 2 nights before that is more important. I will often medicate 2 nights before. But do NOT medicate the night before ...it doesnt work that well for nervous not sleeping anyway and will impact your energy later. Plus most sleeping pills mess with your hydration. But really it doesnt matter that much. I didnt get much sleep the whole week before my marathon and the night before I slept fitfully until about 2:30 am and then gave up. Gave me time to eat a larger breakfast than planned which I think helped me later.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

thanks so much - I feel much better about it. If I can't sleep, no pills, I do have these really cute little worry dolls that you assign a worry, put under a pillow and then they worry for you. I slept well last night, training has been awful because of my knees but can't be helped now.
              Scout7

Beer works for me.
                JakeKnight

Beer works for me.
                  That's cuz choice 2 just isn't an option, is it?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Menace to Sobriety

We know he has the internet, and I assume at least one hand........option 2 is back in play. Wink

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Scout7

Not always, no.
                        I make sure I sleep the night before the night before the race. For me, race day adrenaline more than makes up for missing one night's sleep.
                        ditto... but also... say the race is sunday.... I get up uber early on friday (say 4:00 AM)... so that I am super tired on friday nite... go to bed early on friday (say 8:30)... get up earlier (say 6:30) 10 hours of sleep... and then by 10:00 or 10:30 I am ready to go to bed... also turn the lights out and do something less stimulating (don't watch tv) like reading a book... or writing... meditation... listen to music... I'm aiming to get at least 5 hours of sleep night before... the big thing for me is to get up early enough to eat... and empty the tank (#1 and #2)...
                        JimR

A lot of people at the start line will have had the same issue. It's normal, but don't take anything to help you sleep, that would be a BIG mistake.
                          Lane

When I can't sleep, I listen to James Taylor. Then I fall asleep.

Sleep takes about 36 hours to catch up to you, so as everybody has been saying, the night before isn't as important as 2 nights before (or the week before.) Hope your race went well!

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I actually slept fine, knowing that it wasn't that important was the key. Thanks everyone for this thread. Race was great - 1 half under my belt, next year the who sha-bang.