GPS watch with split time function (Read 61 times)

efgrimes

Hi all,

I am currently wearing the Garmin Forerunner 210, but the GPS has been really spotty lately. I am looking to upgrade, but my favorite part about the 210 is the ability to manually take splits AND see the split time on the face of the watch. I have talked with other GPS wearers and this feature is not universal to GPS watches (side note: this is absolutely insane, why would anyone split their watch and not want to see that split time...)  Anyways, I am looking for some GPS watch recommendations that have this specific feature. In general, I use the GPS watch for workouts and really just need the time, distance, pace, and split functions. I don't care about activity tracking, heart rate, or anything else incredibly fancy.

Thanks for any help!

runmichigan

I just checked the manuals for the Garmin 25 and the Garmin 225 and both have two features that would be of use to you:

1.  Autolap - This feature causes the watch to take a lap split and display it every time you reach a certain distance.  Most people set it to a mile or a kilometer.

2. Manual lap - You can have the watch take a split by depressing the lower button on either the right or left side of the watch    Which button it is will depend on the model watch you have.  To get the watch to display the split you may need to go in and customize the data fields that are displayed on the watch.  This only needs to be done once.

an amazing likeness

I think you'd actually have to work hard to find a Forerunner which doesn't have 'current lap' as a display option. I'm almost certain that all the triple-digit models (2xxx, 6xxx, etc) do.

The Forerunner 230 -- which is the direct replacement in the current models for the your 210, does.

As does the Forerunner 220 -- the previous gen.

There's likely not anything wrong with your 210 -- might just need a soft reset to flush the satellite cache. (turn off via Light button; then press & hold start/stop+lap/reset)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

spinach

I have a Tom Tom Runner and it has time, pace, distance and splits.  I like the watch in that it gets the satellite connection a lot faster than the Garmin Foreunner 205 I have.  you can set up of the splits however you want them, They could be distance and you can specify whatever distance you want, or you can have the splits be time, whatever time interval you want. The other feature i really like and is the reason I bought it is the size of the main value displayed on the watch. I can easily read the time without my glasses any i only have to take a quick glance at the watch. There are some other odd things about the watch but they don't bother me that much.

joescott

All the new Garmin Forerunners have this capability.  Maybe all the old ones, too, but several of those (such as the 205 someone referenced) are dinosaurs before my time.

Some of the newer ones you can also customize to show you whatever two pieces of information you want to see when you take the lap split (either auto or manual).  By default these watches (620, 630, 735XT, 920XT) show you your split time (as all of the others do as well) and your cumulative split time as well, which I find quite handy sometimes.  Anyway you can configure what you want to see on the Lap banner when it pops up for you if want to see something other than these items (e.g., someone might want to see his average HR for the just completed lap/split).

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

delicate flower

I use the GPS watch for workouts and really just need the time, distance, pace, and split functions. I don't care about activity tracking, heart rate, or anything else incredibly fancy.

I've owned the 410, 610, 620, and now the 920.  They all have split time display capabilities (and I use it on my 920).  Based on what you want, those devices are certainly overkill for you though.

<3