Top Inspirational Runners (Read 1226 times)

Terry Fox was an amazing individual. He was a canadian distance runner who had one leg amputated due to cancer, he had always ran and didn't let this stop him he ran cross country in Canada for 143 days stopping only for sleep and eating, in order to raise money for cancer research. Here's a quote from good ol Wikipedia

"Although the spread of his cancer eventually forced him to end his quest after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 mi), and ultimately cost him his life, his efforts resulted in a lasting, worldwide legacy. The annual Terry Fox Run, first held in 1981, has grown to involve millions of participants in over 60 countries and is now the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research; over C$500 million has been raised in his name."

33 Years ago today, Terry Fox began his Marathon of Hope.

I was too young to understand the details of his challenges, but, I was old enough to remember his marathon and remember the day he died.

33 years ago today, he began the memorable 143 day trek across Canada to raise funds for cancer research and treatment.

He is a top inspirational runner.

Terry Fox was 21 years old when he began the Marathon of Hope.  He died 1 month before his 23rd birthday.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I get inspiration from the guys and gals next door. The virtual friends. Becoming a 100 mile finisher is still my dream. Jason Rogers ,virtual friend, I would beat him at races regularly. He is 15 years my junior but 100+ lbs(was) heavier. He has two 100 mile finish buckles in the past 18 months.I no longer beat him at races.

Yolanda "The Walking Diva" Holder 120 marathons in a year.

Photo: Yay! This is my Run For Tomorrow team mate Jane Trumper!!! From Australia

Photo: LAX

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Joann Y

This never gets old. Billy Mills 10000 meter win ....    http://youtu.be/uOj0zjPzg-c

The reaction from the announcers is priceless. Sorry if this has been posted before but I can't help myself.

Tiefsa

My older brother.  He joined XC as a Freshman in HS.

I joined the next year as a Freshman so I could be on the team with him.  We both haven't stopped running since.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Another vote for Terry Fox.

I haven't seen Lopez Lomong mentioned...he had a pretty rough go of it before he was adopted by an American family.  Not as rough as Terry Fox, but I found his book pretty inspiring.

And, I get inspired by other elite runners who keep at it despite frustrating setbacks.  Meb, Desi, Haile, Goucher...and yeah, I'll say it: Hall.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Many many runners inspire me -- both famous and not famous.  I will cast a vote in this thread for Uta Pippig, who won the Boston Marathon multiple times in the mid-90s.  What inspired me was the time she won in the middle of severe menstrual bleeding and diarrhea.  I know it's gross, but I thought it was amazing that she did not drop out or slow down.  Nothing stopped her - not  the discomfort nor the social embarrasssment of being so messy and sick in front of thousands of people.

<input id="mac_address" type="hidden" value="" />

Current PRs:  Half-marathon: 2:04:46 (Nov. 2013) /10k: 55:01 (Oct. 2013)/ 5K: 25:40 (Dec. 2013)

Upcoming races:  5k Jan. 25, 2013

Half marathon Feb. 23, 2014

Joann Y

Many many runners inspire me -- both famous and not famous.  I will cast a vote in this thread for Uta Pippig, who won the Boston Marathon multiple times in the mid-90s.  What inspired me was the time she won in the middle of severe menstrual bleeding and diarrhea.  I know it's gross, but I thought it was amazing that she did not drop out or slow down.  Nothing stopped her - not  the discomfort nor the social embarrasssment of being so messy and sick in front of thousands of people.

Here's a second on Uta Pippig! Since college I've been in awe of runners like her and Joan Benoit Samuelson. They have got spirit and their joy for running shows. As far as I know Joan Benoit is still out there kicking ass.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I did a morbid-curiosity image search on her, and wow...what a ridiculously photogenic person she is.  Heck, even in the image of the...situation...you described, from the waist up, she could be in a mid-80's soda commercial.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Cute as a button and tough as nails!  Smile

Current PRs:  Half-marathon: 2:04:46 (Nov. 2013) /10k: 55:01 (Oct. 2013)/ 5K: 25:40 (Dec. 2013)

And, yes, I loooooove Joan Benoit Samuelson.  I was so excited to watch her in the 1984 Olympics -- though even AT the time, I was shocked that there hadn't  been a women's marathon in the Olympics before then. I'd been watching my mother (another one of my inspirations) kicking ass in distance running for years, so I couldn't understand why marathoning would ever have been considered a men's only endeavor.

About a year ago when this thread started I listed Zola Budd, Henry Rono, Joan Benoit Samuelson and Greta Waitz.

There are two others I should add:

1) Dick Beardsley- I met him at the expo of a big Marathon, half marathon and 5k in Toronto 5 years ago. I had already read "Duel in the Sun" so was quite aware of his accomplishments and was impressed by his quiet modesty and willingness to spend time chatting with me. The next day he beat me by a solid 2 miles in the half!

2) Michael Arnstein- I had heard of this crazy guy who eats only fresh fruit and vegetables and runs 100 milers. I was sitting on a plane from Newark to Honolulu last January, and noticed a young man and woman next to me eating oranges, ten oranges. Then pomegranites, then grapes. I reached in my carry on for "The Lore of Running" and started to read, suspecting but not sure if I had the right person. He asked about my running so I asked if he was the fruitarian, and this led to my son changing seats with me, as he is the ultra guy, and talking for 8 hours. My son Blake ran his first hundred miler in May, in 24:29. Michael and his wife are both very nice friendly people, he was on his way to Hawaii to run a 100 miler, and this meeting made a big impression on my son.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Catra Corbett is my personal hero.  She is an ultra runner, the first and only woman to run 100 races of 100 miles or more.  She is covered in tattoos and piercings, has a rockin beautiful body at the age of 48, and she loves dogs.

Leah, mother of dogs

Yooper3.1

I vote for the following two:

1.  Emil Zatopek-- "When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either.
                            Then willpower will be no problem." (http://www.runningpast.com/emil_zatopek.htm); or

2.  Louis Zamperini (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Zamperini).

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I vote for the following two:

1.  Emil Zatopek-- "When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either.
                              Then willpower will be no problem." (http://www.runningpast.com/emil_zatopek.htm); or

2.  Louis Zamperini (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Zamperini).

Holy cow, I forgot about Louis Zamperini.  Though to be fair, the reason I find him inspirational has little to do with his running.