Racing after a layoff (Read 80 times)

Sultan of slug

How do you guys typically approach your first race in a while, when you're not sure what kind of shape you're in? Any interesting success stories, horror stories, etc relating to racing for the first time in a while?

Obviously this isn't rocket science, but I'm curious about the different ways people approach this: 

• Go out deliberately hard and try to hold on?
    • Take it super easy and speed up if you have gas in the tank in the last third of the race?
    • Don't worry too much about time and play it purely by feel?

I don't have much racing experience, and I have a 10k coming up that I want to use as a fitness benchmark as I look to start workouts in a few weeks. I may just have to run a few races to feel it out and determine what kind of shape I’m in.

Context: I haven’t done structured training since the end of February. Up to then, I had averaged 50 mpw for 15 weeks, with about 10 weeks of workouts (Daniels 5-15k), before getting injured. I ran just under 37 mins in the 10k before getting injured, in the middle of training. After some back and forth, I got over my injury and have averaged 55 mpw for the last 6 weeks, purely easy miles. I have no idea what kind of shape that leaves me in.

Just a dude.

How do you guys typically approach your first race in a while, when you're not sure what kind of shape you're in? Any interesting success stories, horror stories, etc relating to racing for the first time in a while?

Obviously this isn't rocket science, but I'm curious about the different ways people approach this: 

• Go out deliberately hard and try to hold on?
      • Take it super easy and speed up if you have gas in the tank in the last third of the race?
      • Don't worry too much about time and play it purely by feel?

I don't have much racing experience, and I have a 10k coming up that I want to use as a fitness benchmark as I look to start workouts in a few weeks. I may just have to run a few races to feel it out and determine what kind of shape I’m in.

Context: I haven’t done structured training since the end of February. Up to then, I had averaged 50 mpw for 15 weeks, with about 10 weeks of workouts (Daniels 5-15k), before getting injured. I ran just under 37 mins in the 10k before getting injured, in the middle of training. After some back and forth, I got over my injury and have averaged 55 mpw for the last 6 weeks, purely easy miles. I have no idea what kind of shape that leaves me in.

A tool that helps me is to go to http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ and try to figure out how my training compares to their recommended training. So in your case, I'd throw maybe 40 minute 10k in to the race time, and see how the recommended workout paces compare to my recent training. Then, if you are faster, try 38. Do that until you find something that somewhat matches. Let's imagine it's 39 minutes. I would then approach the race by going through probably 3 or 4 miles at 39 minute pace and monitor where I was. I'd probably decide at say the 4 mile mark to speed up if I am feeling good...

Once you have a couple races under your belt it will be easier...

My suggestion anyway... /shrug

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

High school coaches often use a mile time trial as a starting point for cross country running. Even though you don't have speedwork you can run a hard mile on the track (take splits) and use that to project your fitness. Another possibility is a 5K race. It can serve as a tune up as well as a fitness guage. You just have to pace yourself. One more would be a 3 mile tempo run using your best guess of your current fitness level. If you were 37 10K a few months ago, you might be 38 to 38:30, so your tempo pace would be in the 6:20s somewhere. If you can hold that  you're probably right on. If you fall off, then your projected 10K might be a little slower, if you finish feeling great and close with a 6:15 (still running aerobically) then maybe you're already in sub 38 shape.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I sign up for a 5k and run it by feel.  Even if I screw up the pacing it still gives me a ballpark.

**Ask me about streaking**