Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Keen - Massive week!  And you're still not satisfied, haha.

Zebano - Hope that calf is okay.  That's a huge week by normal, non-Keen standards.

Watson - Yep, you get used to awful weather in Wellington but there are some days when it's just too much.  I remember on one run having to dodge flying sheets of corrugated iron and branches and I thought perhaps I was better off not running that day.

Darkwave - Very challenging times, especially while trying to maintain a high level of running.  Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Flavio - Good move taking it easy, I'm sure it will pay off long term.

Queenstown Marathon - It sounds like they are "working through options" and will make a call later this week.  That can only mean cancellation unless the 100 person limit is lifted because it's one of the bigger races in New Zealand.  It feels like the last domino of 2021 - I was looking forward to running that at a relatively easy pace with the short turnaround from Selwyn.  I still have Selwyn, and it feels like it's all on that now with no backup plan but I guess that has been the case for a while whether I realised it or not.  I'm pretty confident about the shape I'm in but there could be a race rust issue.  My last race was November 21 last year (not including the half I ran as a tempo for marathon training this year) which is the biggest gap I've had for a long time.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

So, in light of our government's ongoing incompetence and lack of a plan except 'summer will be fine', Running Events have just made the call to defer all their events until early next year (i.e. they're compressing their usual 7 month calendar into 4).  This means I've got a very busy race calendar from Jan-Mar with 4 x North Shore Run Series 10k races between mid Jan and mid March, and then Omaha HM in late March.

I don't blame them; they were smart and booked back-up dates so given the uncertainty over the next month or two, they may as well get first dibs because they won't be the only ones trying to reschedule events to those dates I suspect.  Still some hope of a track race with either Auckland 3000m Champs or Night of 5's being smaller pre-Xmas events that may be able to go ahead.

I did say at the start of the year that I'd be happy if I ran Southern Lakes HM and nailed it and I still stand by that!  But it is a bit frustrating that our government has had 18 months to plan for this and we are now paying the price for their incompetence.

Zebano - nice week, hope that calf niggle is nothing major.  Yeah I'm not sure 'seeing Jesus' (I think that quote originated with Flavio) is a good thing to do every week but I definitely needed the reminder of what it looked like.

Flavio - I've been lazy and probably neglecting strength training a bit over our lockdown.  Thanks for the reminder.

Keen - epic.  As usual!  Also - pacing an ultra?  I thought people generally just wanted to finish those.

Steve - Sorry to be a downer, but I really can't see Queenstown happening.  Nelson has said they'll go ahead but with reduced numbers and wave starts (probably same deal as Selwyn), although I probably won't be allowed out of Auckland to attend.  "Working through options" was exactly what the same race organiser said about Auckland a month or so ago before punting it down the road to January (incidentally, a marathon in Auckland weather in January has the potential to be a complete disaster).

Anyways at least you have Selwyn; make the most of that.  Might be worth a 3k TT effort or something just to try and shake the rust?  As long as you probably see Jesus for a little while, that should do it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Yep, that's basically what I was hinting at.  Seeming very unlikely.  I may have criticised Oska over the whole ChCh marathon move to April but he seems to be singlehandedly keeping Selwyn in business.  Without his sponsorship it may have died, and he's now behind the push to go ahead at level 2.

I'm not sure about a 3km time trial - do you mean with a view to experiencing the pain cave so I know how it feels?  I've come close on a few training runs and with 2.5 weeks to go, I'm not sure where I'd fit it in.  I'll do another 10km tempo in that time.  As long as I race smart, especially in the first half, and double especially if the weather is warm, hopefully the rust won't matter.

You never know about Queenstown though.  Did you hear the govt is coming up with a plan?  That must be nice to hear after 2 months (and counting) of being locked down, 20 months after this all started.  They are so amazing.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

You never know about Queenstown though.  Did you hear the govt is coming up with a plan?  That must be nice to hear after 2 months (and counting) of being locked down, 20 months after this all started.  They are so amazing.

Yesterday they announced that on Friday they will announce a framework.  Apparently we are adding a traffic light to the existing levels as well as the steps that were added two weeks ago.  I swear this is the political equivalent of "look! over there! purple monkey!"

Anyhoo, on a more serious note, yeah I think as long as you feel you've dug into the pain cave - just enough, certainly not the whole way! - that should cover it.  It's more just above having that reminder of what race intensity needs to feel like.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I hadn't noticed until now that this race doubles as the Canterbury Half-Marathon Championship.  Given the amount of cancelled races, that could mean a stronger field than usual.  Based on last years' results I was looking at around 10th and a reasonably lonely time (albeit with plenty of slower runners around in the last 1-2 laps).  Hopefully circumstances mean there will be 20+ ahead of me, with a decent number of those at a similar pace.

2024 Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - LOL sorry but that’s hilarious. “Sorry coach, there’s an extra 20 miler in there”

It’s nuts that you can run those 20 milers as if they’re a 5 miler for me.

As for body weight, simple does it. Like Mark signature says, consistency is King.

Keen - Though I’m sure a bit of strength training would help you, you are already ridiculously super strong, so it might not be needed.

Steve - IIRC, in the past you've struggled with going out too fast way too often. a 3k or even a mile time trial would help take the edge off so you're calmer come race day.  But it has to be at least 2 weeks out so it does not impact your race.

That's the reasoning anyway. Also, running fast is super cool and 3k lasts only 10 to 11 minutes (for us mere mortals).

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - you likely could benefit from strength training to gain speed, but I suppose that would help more when training for a 5k

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

zebano

Keen I would definitely have thrown a 5k double in if I realized I was that close to 100 miles. In depressing news, I was listening to the Citius mag podcasts interview of Nick Willis who was talking about how he's only running 55-60 miles a week right now and can still break 4 by about 7 seconds.  oh yeah, he's 38 years old too so closer to us than most of the pros.

Anyway pacing was super super easy. The course is a 20.2 mile loop repeated 5 times and I was scheduled to run with him on the last lap but did the fourth due to scheduling issues with the other pacer. The long and the short of the pacing was that he was an absolute trooper and it was a super easy gig. From about miles 61-72 we moved really really well, jogging all flats and downhills and he did a great job eating and drinking but he ran smack into a wall around mile 72 where his jogging pace dropped precipitously. Regardless, he continued to jog as best he could when I told him it was time to jog it was just slower. It took 4.5 hours to complete the loop compared to him taking 4 hours for each of his first 3. I cannot overstate how impressed I was by his mental fortitude, there were simply no negative emotions, no need for me to be a drill sergeant or to sweet talk him. he knew his goals and he was going to get it done regardless of the nearly 2,800 feet of elevation each loop.

Re: Mark. Yes, most people are all about finishing ultras, but I know an absurd amount of people who are running them to win or to break certain times (especially on the flatter ones). The coach I was mentioning was the US 50k road champion in 2020 (the unfavorable reading of this is that it was near the US Olympic marathon trials so the field was depleted). That said, my understanding is that pacing is often done to ensure the athlete stays on the course, continues to eat & drink, and helps provide some motivation when things get mentally rough.

Piwi yeah coach wasn't super happy about that, especially since ultra pace is so slow as to be arguably useless as a training pace. I wouldn't say it was easy, my hips were rather unhappy and are the reason I didn't run on Saturday. I blame  all the technical terrain we traversed.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - It sounds about like you'll be racing your way to fitness from January through March!
                    Road pacing is all about being a physical representation of a certain pace for whoever wants to try finishing at that pace - who falls behind his left behind, and quite frankly that kinda sucks when it's someone you've been talking someone through 2/3 of a race really hoping they'll hit their goal and all of a sudden they have to drop back. Pacing an ultra is more about keeping a certain individual company and making sure they keep moving and eat/drink properly more than hitting a certain time goal (though that is a consideration for some).

Zebano - I just shake my head when I see someone who's able to throw down incredible times off of relatively little mileage. It's something I simply can't do.

Outside of targeting an ultra, I can't really say that pacing someone for one of theirs would be really beneficial toward a specific race goal. Last year when I paced a guy about 19 miles or so we certainly switched between running, hiking some hills, and spending some time standing around at aid stations. Just time on feet training, really - much easier than running the whole distance continuously at any pace.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - IIRC, in the past you've struggled with going out too fast way too often. a 3k or even a mile time trial would help take the edge off so you're calmer come race day.  But it has to be at least 2 weeks out so it does not impact your race.

That's the reasoning anyway. Also, running fast is super cool and 3k lasts only 10 to 11 minutes (for us mere mortals).

Last year I went out too fast once (in the time trial) then tried to be conservative in the next 2 but had bigger fades.  I can probably put Queenstown aside - I should have been conservative++ given the course is slightly harder than a typical road course.  For the Cherry Blossom race, I think I cooked myself with some really big workouts in the last 2-3 weeks.  One I rated as 9.5 on my coach's RPE (runners perceived effort) chart.  9.5 is close to seeing unicorns.  I also did an adventure race 2 weeks out which took more of a toll than I thought.

The time trial was the smallest fade and most of that was down to a fast start.  I think doing 8 laps in the park by myself made it a bit harder to really push it.

This time I'm coming off possibly my best half-marathon training block ever (because it keeps extending out with cancellations), which was built on the base of a marathon training block (but not a race so I didn't need a big recovery).  It did take 6-8 weeks before I felt like the faster paces were sustainable though.  So if I get a good day and start conservatively, this is my best chance at sub 1:30 since joining the forum.  I did a 10km tempo 3 weeks ago and nailed down the race paces much better than I've done previously when I've gone too hard.  I'll do another 10km tempo 11 days out and hopefully that can replicate a race in a way, but obviously not going all out.

2024 Races:

Piwi yes all at the same time  I'll be so glad when we are settled in our new place.  it will be hard with him moving away.  At least we know where we are taking our next vacation.

Zebano I should have a lot more time for sure but I don't think you will see any 100 mile weeks from me, I got to get back to 10 miles first.

Hope to get motivated by registering for a couple races in the spring.

Flavio yeah it will be hard I expect he will come back this way at some point or at least back to Hawaii and that still will make a nice vacation from time to time. Glad you Blood Pressure is better.

Looks like everyone is having really solid weeks hope those racing soon stay injury free and for those of you in NZ I hope they sort out your lockdown situation soon.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - even at walking pace, 20 miles is a very long distance.

Steve - best of luck, I’ve read that the vaccination levels are quite high already, which makes me happy, that should bring New Zealand to open the borders sooner, so we jet setter folk can go there.

Corey - you will likely beat me in mileage this week 😁

Me - I had a hopeful run this morning. Just mere 4 km, but you gotta start somewhere.

I can say that it’s nice to run without any responsibility, just for fun. Speaking of that, where’s Piwi …

zebano

This time I'm coming off possibly my best half-marathon training block ever (because it keeps extending out with cancellations), which was built on the base of a marathon training block (but not a race so I didn't need a big recovery). 

steve  I was actually wondering recently how long can a training block be extended before the body says "too much". I assume there are a lot of factors like how much intensity and overall level of stress you have but I imagine even at low intensity you need a break every 3-4 months.

Flavio  I hope he beats you on mileage, you just ran a marathon. Take a break.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I see this thread is still 75% local Kiwi talk. I'm glad nothing has changed.

After my marathon, I'll be back here as I don't think I'm running a spring marathon. I hate the weather uncertainty and training throughout the dark winter. I do have a half this weekend though. I haven't run one in 18 months so I don't remember how awful that pain is at the end, but I'm ready 

Corey - you've had quite the up and down. You've always been a very positive person though! It's good to have you around.

Flavio - was also popping over here to ask you what your spring plans are. I know you're done with marathons. Is it another crack at a half PR?

Steve - I've been following your training, it's been quite impressive (especially your easy run pace ). Hopefully you get to race real soon

Zebano - what's your racing plan?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Flavio im still here lurking mostly as I don't have anything exciting to add.

I'm currently in hobby jogger mode but my weekly target is 50kms which actually is quite hard when you are not training for racing 😅

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "