Quick poll for the married folks (Read 1158 times)

divorce is contagious -- one couple in a group goes through it, and especially if it goes amicably, other couples in the group start to think maybe that's the way for them, also. same old story of greener grass, you know.

at my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary, my brother asked my grandmother what's was the secret to her long marriage. she simply said, we never got divorced.

Married at age 21 (me) and 26 (him).  We celebrated 24 years this past August.  The day before our anniversary, my husband started a 6-month jail sentence for something I'll not discuss here.  It's been an incredibly hard 2011 for us and has included losing almost all of our life savings, him losing his job, and him spending the three months prior to his jail sentence in rehab for alcoholism.  Many people have questioned why I stayed.  The long and short of it is I meant my vows (for better or for worse), I love him, he's working hard to pull his life together, and if you're not willing to fight the good fight when you're down in the trenches, why did you marry this person in the first place.

Age shouldn't factor into when you get married, and marriage shouldn't be taken lightly.  Be sure you are willing to stay with this person for life, warts and all, or don't start down that road.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Slo

{{{fatozzig}}} You're one of a kind and you have a lucky DH.

Me...I was 23, she was 24. Married over 23 years now. 3 kids, 2 out of high school, one still in Jr. High.

She's put up with far more than I have and she's probably the only woman that would stay married to me.

Black-Toe-Nailed

Just by chance, I got my marriage certificate yesterday (a copy, for the Dutch finance department).

We married in March, 23 1995, that's 16 years (and 8 months), but we where already living together... Our 20th anniversary together  was  November, 20th this  year.  No children, no car and no dog... but our cat is fat and big enough to make up for it.

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
        then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
        I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

Married at age 21 (me) and 26 (him).  We celebrated 24 years this past August.  The day before our anniversary, my husband started a 6-month jail sentence for something I'll not discuss here.  It's been an incredibly hard 2011 for us and has included losing almost all of our life savings, him losing his job, and him spending the three months prior to his jail sentence in rehab for alcoholism.  Many people have questioned why I stayed.  The long and short of it is I meant my vows (for better or for worse), I love him, he's working hard to pull his life together, and if you're not willing to fight the good fight when you're down in the trenches, why did you marry this person in the first place.

Age shouldn't factor into when you get married, and marriage shouldn't be taken lightly.  Be sure you are willing to stay with this person for life, warts and all, or don't start down that road.

I admire you.

Hang in there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills