Do 20 mile runs ever get easier? (Read 2284 times)

Am I doing this right?

I did my second 20 mile run today.  I really feel pretty good until the last couple miles  Those last 2 miles I really start to struggle.  The last mile especially.  Do they ever get any easier?  Is there anything I should be doing differently?

No excuses....

What are you training for?

.. and no.. unless you're at 100 mile weeks.. they dont get easy. Sorry..

I can only do 14 before feeling terrible.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

A Saucy Wench

ummm sorry to differ with parklife but yes they do get easier.  But it usually means a second or third or fourth marathon training cycle.

Try slowing it down a little in the first few miles. 

And realize that you had a pretty brutal week leading up to it. You've just moved to 50 miles, you did 2 pace runs.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I would say they do get easier, but perhaps with more consistent mileage.  Looking at your log, there's a two week gap without a lot of running between your last 20 miler and today.  That said, a person is bound to feel pretty drained after twenty miles.

Feeling the growl again

When the long run is such a substantial proportion of your overall running, it's not going to be easy.  Over time yes, it will be easiER.

Looking at your log....granted it's a narrow window of perspective....it looks like the classic situation of putting too many eggs in the long run basket.  IMHO even if you have an upcoming marathon, you'd be better off running 16 and getting more in during the week consistently....assuming recovery from the long runs is what is leading to such limited running outside the long run.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In my experience, they got easier. Then they got harder, cause I got lazy about going long.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Lynx

Hey BigBunny 

I'm a beginner for the long runs too (done some 30K, not 32) and the last 2 km are tough for me too...

2 things help me: go slow and eat something somewhere in the middle- not much just something, half of an energy bar is enough for me at this point. I'm assuming you are drinking. That and good luck :-)

bhearn

Yes, of course they get easier.

Am I doing this right?

Yes, it looks bad with my week last week.  That was not because of the first 20 miler.  I was out in MT fly fishing for a week.  It involved too much beer and bad eating.  Vacation for real.

I appreciate all the feedback.  Yes, this is my first marathon training cycle.  I realize some of it is tired legs from training.  However, it's starting to mess with my head a little in that if I can barely make it through 20, what happens with 26.2?

Anyway, I understand all the advice.  I'll keep with the plan and working on it.

No excuses....

Mrcrumpton

Realize that there is a huge difference in a 20 mile training run and doing a marathon (taper, mentally, fueling, hydration, ect). I agree with most that with a more substantial base they do get easiER, but also remember that you logged a fast 10 mile pace run the day before so you are already working on tired legs. There probably is alot of benefit to following up your 10 mile pace run with a 14-16 mile run the next day but constantly pushing 40% of your weekly volume on 1 run will not leave you healthy at the starting line.

Its great that you have some one to go on the long runs with and you may want to consider ending with them rather than alone. Mentally it will be easier.

2013 Goals

• 5K-20:00
                      • 10K-44:00
                      • 1/2 Marathon-1:38
                      • Marathon-3:30
                      • Complete 50 Miler

JML

As I am working my way towards my second marathon an a diet of higher mileage / lower intensity, I find that the longer runs (including today's 20 miler) have become easier to complete.    That being said, I was very aware of just how far it was to the finish line starting around mile 17.  I don't think that they ever become easy but that they difficulty decreases with mileage (both current and cumulative).

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Depends.

But, in my little world, 20-milers get easier. A lot easier.

Still, it depends.

Liz

pace sera, sera

an amazing likeness

remember that you logged a fast 10 mile pace run the day before so you are already working on tired legs.

This is a staple (and goal) of the Hidgon training plans, I'll guess the OP is using one. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

Yes, it looks bad with my week last week.  That was not because of the first 20 miler.  I was out in MT fly fishing for a week.  It involved too much beer and bad eating.  Vacation for real.

Nice.  

No wonder you had to work some on the next one.  I wouldn't worry about it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Am I doing this right?

This is a staple (and goal) of the Hidgon training plans, I'll guess the OP is using one. 

Correct.  Higdon Int 2.

No excuses....