Asphalt to Treadmill (Read 971 times)

So, where has Kimmer been anyway? Well, it's freezing up here in the Northeast, so I've been waiting a week and a half for my bright and shiny new treadmill to arrive. I'm getting it delivered today - can't wait to get back to running again! Anyway, any thoughts on the transition from Asphalt to Treadmill? Anything I should look out for? Let me know, thanks! Kimmer
    My goal in life is to be as happy as I possibly can. - Me
      Freezing? What's there a local cold front locked in on Natick? It's been the mildest winter I can remember so far. It was 41F in Reading when I went out at 5:30 this morning. That's downright blamy. It think I've done a grand total of 2 runs when the temp was below 30F so far. It just feels wrong. As for the treadmill, if you bought a good one you might want to consider having it calibrated for speed by someone who knows what they are doing. Otherwise they can tend to be highly inaccurate out of the box. And hopefully you have it set up in front of a TV or a window with a really good view or something. About 40 minutes on one of those things and my brain starts to leak out of my ears.

Runners run

Wingz

Professional Noob

About 40 minutes on one of those things and my brain starts to leak out of my ears.
        Ah! That would explain the photo... Tongue Have fun on the TM, Kimmer!

Roads were made for journeys...

Freezing? What's there a local cold front locked in on Natick? It's been the mildest winter I can remember so far. It was 41F in Reading when I went out at 5:30 this morning. That's downright blamy. It think I've done a grand total of 2 runs when the temp was below 30F so far. It just feels wrong. As for the treadmill, if you bought a good one you might want to consider having it calibrated for speed by someone who knows what they are doing. Otherwise they can tend to be highly inaccurate out of the box. And hopefully you have it set up in front of a TV or a window with a really good view or something. About 40 minutes on one of those things and my brain starts to leak out of my ears.
          Well, except for this morning, every morning has been about 30 degrees when I wake up. It has been mild, I'll give you that - but when you have to walk for 5-10 minutes outside to warm up before your run, 30 degrees SUCKS. Hence the TM. I got a really good one from Gym Source in Framingham (True Fitness) and they apparently are installing and calibrating, etc. Also, we're gonna buy a TV for it shortly...probably more sooner than later, cause it's only near a very small window. I can't imagine staring at a wall for 40 minutes Smile Kimmer
          vicentefrijole

Also, we're gonna buy a TV for it shortly...probably more sooner than later, cause it's only near a very small window. I can't imagine staring at a wall for 40 minutes
            Good call... I once had to run a 12-miler on a treadmill in the gym of an airport hotel (they wouldn't let me run around on the runways) with no TV (and I didn't have my music with me). Must've been the longest run of my life and when I got done I felt like I'd been on a spaceship for a few months. Dead I think mikeymike is right about the calibration... mine isn't and it's completely inaccurate. Another problem with treadmills is the air is so much drier and it can be too warm inside. I like to use mine in the morning before I've turned up the heat at all.
              Weather has been pretty screwy up here in the Northeast. I flirted with a case of frostbite last Tuesday night & on Saturday's long run I way overdressed. I don't own a treadmill but, I have enough room down in the basement for a rowing machine & Nordic Track skier. I've got a TV & DVD player to keep me company. I'm currently working through Season 5 of Alias so, it doesn't seem like so much of a prison sentence when I workout inside. I wouldn't mind getting a treadmill for the nights I want to run & the weather's just too sucky. It would be a tough sell to wifey. I keep trying to get her & my daughter into running but, it's not working so far.
                Hey, it may be a mild winter, but that doesn't mean it's not cold! I'm with you Kimmer, and I switched to the treadmill as well. I always found my first week on the treadmill switching from outdoors to be brutal- it takes some getting used to. I need to drink more frequently. I also was getting really bored, so I came up with certain ways to make it through every workout. -Intervals are so easy on a treadmill and I find the time flies by. -During longer runs, I listen to books on tape and cover the screen so I can't see the time. -I know it's silly, but lately I make lists the night before of things to think about the next morning. For example, Monday's list included figuring out the rest of my christmas card list, thinking about how to set up a query for a work project that had been bothering me, and planning out my after work schedule for the week. Today's list included planning my outfits for the rest of the week. Silly, but I can get carried away with these thoughts. -If I listen to music, I tend to time myself based on songs. I hate watching the clock tick, and I find, on average, most songs are about 4 minutes give or take. So, if, like today, I want a 20 minute warm up at a certain pace, I cover the screen and count songs- 5. In fact, I always do it in packs of 5. When I want a tempo run for 40 minutes, it's 2 sets of 5 songs. For some reason it makes the time go faster. Also, and this might be just me, but be careful and try to pay attention. I've fallen off 3 times because I start dance-running to a song and step off the track. Blush
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You treadmillers need to try this. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You treadmillers need to try this. Big grin k
                    Yikes! Smile
                      If you are doing alot of miles on the treadmill you will find that your hamstrings will become sore. Eventually your muscles will become accustomed to it. As for avoiding boredom; I have logged about 200 miles on the treadmill this winter without and I-Pod or television. I split the run up into sections changing the pace several times during the run. I will do some easy fartlek workouts, or gradually increase the pace throughout the run. Treadmills are an awesome tool if you want a very precise workout. I will continue to use the treadmill into the summer just for this reason.
                        Kimmer, great video. As far as I'm concerned, that's the only thing treamills are good for. Give me cold, rain, snow, ice, anything as long as I can run outside!
                        va

...I will do some easy fartlek workouts, or gradually increase the pace throughout the run. Treadmills are an awesome tool if you want a very precise workout.
                          I just wanted to add that treadmills are great for hill training. Will a touch of a button you can change the steepness and length of the hill. You can do downhills too.

Hang in there, Kimmer!!!!! It's almost Groundhog Day!!

Adam Gentile

I avoid treadmills at all costs, just a horrible machine to run on.   Buy the proper winter gear and you are good to go.   I'm outside all through winter, and have ran in the single digits before.