High heart rate during slow run (Read 588 times)

I ran 12km a couple of days ago and because I knew I was tired already, I wanted to run at an aerobic level, rather than anaerobic. (My understanding of this is that running at aerobic pace will burn fat stores, rather than zap glycogen stores even when tired, but correct me if I'm wrong). No matter what pace I ran, my heart rate would not drop below 150-155. My average HR when running on a good day is probably about 155-160 if I'm running fast and can sit at 140bpm if I'm running slowly. Should I be worried about my HR sitting so high even when (trying to) run slow? My resting HR is pretty normal.
      Could be a number of things (hot weather, dehydration, illness, overreaching/overtraining, etc). Mine was elevated today because of the hot weather and a lingering hangover from Saturday night. Big grin Maybe slow down a little on your next couple of runs.
        If your body has not recovered, your HR will be high. Warmer temps will raise it also. But don't worry, rest or go slower.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

obiebyke

Ah, the dangers of wearing a HRM. If you didn't feel dizzy or anything, I wouldn't worry about it. If you hadn't been wearing a strap (I assume you were?), you wouldn't even know it had happened! Any number of things could cause that. And it's really not a big difference from your normal range anyway. Run on!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

JakeKnight

Ah, the dangers of wearing a HRM. If you didn't feel dizzy or anything, I wouldn't worry about it. If you hadn't been wearing a strap (I assume you were?), you wouldn't even know it had happened! Any number of things could cause that. And it's really not a big difference from your normal range anyway. Run on!
            Exactly my thoughts.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------