How does slowing down my fast runs speed up my race times? (Read 522 times)

jicama

Did we win?

One of the things I read in this thread is that I need to run a lot of easy miles during training and run myself silly in races.

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

One of the things I read in this thread is that I need to run a lot of easy miles during training and run myself silly in races.

This is generally considered better than the other way around, yes. Wink

jicama

Did we win?

This is generally considered better than the other way around, yes. Wink

I never ran myself silly before my half-marathon earlier this month.  It wasn't very silly, but breathing took a conscious effort.  I knew that it would be easier if I'd just slow down, but I couldn't bring myself to do it...  I didn't like the way my body felt when I was done, but it felt good to beat my goal.

I'm gonna run myself stupid in my next 5K at the end of March!  I'll run a lot of easy miles, with a fair smattering of hard ones, before then.

I love this forum. Smile

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

A Saucy Wench

I am a huge fan of running yourself silly at a 5K now and then.  June 2005.  I had never ever broken a 10 minute mile. Not even for 1 mile.  Ever.  Wasnt even able to break 2:30 on track intervals for the 400.  Would have swore up and down that it wasnt possible for me.  My 5K pr was something like 34 minutes.  My HM PR was 2:20

I was visiting a friend in Cincinnati and she was what I considered "crazy fast" at the time.  We signed up for a tiny little 5K and in a fit of insanity I decided to try and keep up with her for as long as I could even if it meant blowing up.   Which was just shy of a mile.  They had people calling out splits. She went through in 8:29, I went through in  8:35 (holy crap!).  Of course by then I was dying.  2nd mile was ~9:30 and the 3rd mile was ~ 10:30.  Horrible horrible splits. Broke 30 minutes though.  9:33 average.  Mind altering.

A month later I ran a 9:31 pace for a 10K.  Because I knew I could run 9:30's now.  And 2 months after that I ran a 9:45 pace for a HM.

Which was not to the point of this thread.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Mr MattM

I am a huge fan of running yourself silly at a 5K now and then.  June 2005.  I had never ever broken a 10 minute mile. Not even for 1 mile.  Ever.  Wasnt even able to break 2:30 on track intervals for the 400.  Would have swore up and down that it wasnt possible for me.  My 5K pr was something like 34 minutes.  My HM PR was 2:20

I was visiting a friend in Cincinnati and she was what I considered "crazy fast" at the time.  We signed up for a tiny little 5K and in a fit of insanity I decided to try and keep up with her for as long as I could even if it meant blowing up.   Which was just shy of a mile.  They had people calling out splits. She went through in 8:29, I went through in  8:35 (holy crap!).  Of course by then I was dying.  2nd mile was ~9:30 and the 3rd mile was ~ 10:30.  Horrible horrible splits. Broke 30 minutes though.  9:33 average.  Mind altering.

A month later I ran a 9:31 pace for a 10K.  Because I knew I could run 9:30's now.  And 2 months after that I ran a 9:45 pace for a HM.

Which was not to the point of this thread.

I love this.

be curious; not judgmental