Burning Sensation in my knee (Read 1182 times)

wendysue

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what to do about it.  Typically in the past 2-3 months after I run and/or crosstrain I have noticed this weird burning sensation in my knee that won't go away for 1-3 days.  It doesn't hurt but it feels warm internally all around my knee.  It is the weirdest thing and I've tried icing but I'm not sure that is what I should be doing.  I did a half a few weeks ago and had NO issues after at all so it seems to come and go.  Please let me know if you have any answers.  Thanks

Have you tried a fire extinguisher?

*Crickets*

I'll see myself out.

wbudde

Maybe you should get a prescription for penicillan.

Oh...wait...you said "knee" - sorry, no idea...

wendysue

so wrong!!!  just so wrong....

WHloves2run

That sounds like something I had, and it was caused by my knee cap being "off track" due to muscle inbalances in my hips/quads.  It felt tingly, achy, burning, and the pain kind of traveled all around my knee cap.  The exercises I did from the PT helped pretty fast though. 

wendysue

so did you just do general strength training for your quads?  or can you share what exercises worked the best?

HeidiGSR

I agree. Sounds like patellofemoral pain syndrome which is common in runners and often referred to as runners knee.

Your kneecap moves too far to the outside of the knee joint resulting in irritation. Pain commonly comes on afterwards rather than during and may be worse walking down hill or stairs.

Could aldo be wear and tear of the cartilage though, depending on your age.

Read more on both these causes of knee pain here.