49 year old running for 2 months (Read 2198 times)

Luvtorun49

Hi All, I am new to running..2 months to be exact. The most I have run is 5 miles a d my average run is a 5k 4 days a week. I ran my second 5k race in 31 minutes and I am asking 2 questions...#1. Is 31 minutes considered a decent timw based on my experience and # 2. Any advice to reach a better time for my next race?? Also, when I train alone I do a 5k in 28/29 minutes but race takes me longer..??

jules2

How long is a piece of string? It's like asking what 10 numbers total up to 12345. As a start I'd suggest that you fully complete your running log and make it public. There's a rule of thumb that if you run a course in training on your own if you race on the same course you will be 10% quicker how true this is I can't say. Again there are a lot of variables for example if you start a race too quickly and blow up then you could well finish slower than if you ran the course on your own.. Good luck.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I'd say that 31 minutes for a first 5k after only running 2 months is great! My 5k PB is roughly 36 minutes and that was when I was 63, 65 now and I don't really expect to better it given my medical condition. 

As to how to improve, maybe take a look at using the RunnersWorld training utility to create a training plan. There are other 5k training plans out there but I can't recall links to them right now. One basic thing they'll all have is cross training days to help keep you from the TMTS that most newbies encounter (myself included), as well as long slow days where you do exactly that, run long and much slower than 5k or endurance race pace. Of course the plan will include tempo and interval runs, and some fartlek's. 

good luck! Welcome to running and RA!

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Feeling the growl again

Also, when I train alone I do a 5k in 28/29 minutes but race takes me longer..??

Was this a one-time time trial or do you go for your best time every time you run?  Most of your runs should be an easy effort, so a race should be significantly faster than them. 

As for how to get faster, you are new and have lots of room to improve so just keep running consistently and improvements will come.  There are lots of training plans out there to choose one.  So pick one, and make sure you aren't running too fast every day.  If you can't talk while you are running you need to slow down.  Only 1 faster run per week, and maybe speed up at the end of a run once in awhile.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Also, when I train alone I do a 5k in 28/29 minutes but race takes me longer..??

this indicates you are making about three or four of the biggest mistakes a beginner could make. 

the way you are going you may be able to race a 5k in 29 minutes and would likely quit.  if you did things the right way 23 or 24 minutes would be easily within your reach in a year. 

Was this a one-time time trial or do you go for your best time every time you run?  Most of your runs should be an easy effort, so a race should be significantly faster than them. 

As for how to get faster, you are new and have lots of room to improve so just keep running consistently and improvements will come.  There are lots of training plans out there to choose one.  So pick one, and make sure you aren't running too fast every day.  If you can't talk while you are running you need to slow down.  Only 1 faster run per week, and maybe speed up at the end of a run once in awhile.

+1  listen to Spaniel,  no reason to make it any more complicated at this point, you are only 2 mths in.

and 31 minutes 1st time out after only 2 mths is good, just keep being consistent in getting out there & you will improve

+1.  Consistency is going to be your best friend, and running at an easy pace is going to help at that tremendously.  You should be refreshed at the end of most runs, not dead tired. 

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

JOOI do you know how accurate the measurement of either the training runs or the race were?

Feeling the growl again

JOOI do you know how accurate the measurement of either the training runs or the race were?

+1.  I used to run a Turkey Trot in my hometown and there were a couple of us decent runners there who would hammer it year after year and could not get under 16:00 (we were in the 15:20s and 15:30s on the track).  The race director was my HS coach and he swore it was accurate.  When the first running GPS units came out the first thing I did was run the course with it...3.2 miles!  I borrowed a wheel and sure enough, it was 3.2 miles.  I've run a couple other long "5Ks" since then as well.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Luvtorun49

Thank you all soooooo much for your comments.......I must be doing something wrong as at the end of the 5k I am dead to the world. I have found that I am able to run 8 min miles for almost the first 2 and going into the 3rd I slow down and really have to push. I am assuming here that I am starting out to fast and need to be more slow and steady the first mile as to be able to really give my all as the race goes on. I run every other day and my net run will be 4 or 5 miles and I take my time...usually 52 minutes then I take the next day off and then a 5k for speed again. I guess one day at a time is key..thanks again!!!!
                      TJN

S Army Kettle run...

I must be doing something wrong as at the end of the 5k I am dead to the world. I have found that I am able to run 8 min miles for almost the first 2 and going into the 3rd I slow down and really have to push.   

One of my marathoner friends passed along this pacing advice ... "seconds slower at the start, keeps you from minutes slower at the finish".    

Yup, that's one of those "duh" type things that is much easier said than done.  It is so easy to take off like a maniac at the beginning of a race, but it usually catches up to you before the finish line. 

Tim 

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

I choose not to offer advice. But Major Kudos for starting back to running!

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                          Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

uncontrollable

I suggest continued consistency.  Good job so far.  Totally normal to think & ask about when & how to improve BUT I do think it will serve you better (injury prevention, prevent burnout, and allow the body to to embrace your new lifestyle) if you just focus on getting out there day after day. Two months is great but in the scheme of a lifelong runner's timeline ... a drop in the bucket, so to speak.  I say this not to discourage but to give realistic feedback from the perspective of 11 years running.  TMTS is our biggest risk.  If your goal is to run long term ... I would just pick a few key races throughout this next year to keep focused, stay on this forum, read more running sources to maximize info, & get to know a local running club in your area (even if you don't join just yet) because there is much to be learned from other runners (good & bad).

Most of all: have fun, be proud, but ALWAYS listen to your body - sometimes it needs rest!  Once you have reached a year and been through the trials & tribulations that are a  normal part of a calendar year ... you will have a better sense of where you are & what you may like to focus on with that good solid base!

OH and a log is a GREAT tool ... provides so many clues that can help us assess our status - in the moment or over a period of time.  

peace

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

MIssPratt is a wise woman.  So are the others who have posted here.  Except for the woman part.

fast momma!

How long is a piece of string? It's like asking what 10 numbers total up to 12345. As a start I'd suggest that you fully complete your running log and make it public. There's a rule of thumb that if you run a course in training on your own if you race on the same course you will be 10% quicker how true this is I can't say. Again there are a lot of variables for example if you start a race too quickly and blow up then you could well finish slower than if you ran the course on your own.. Good luck.

How is this helpful or advice? There were a lot of really helpful suggestions in the other responses and some good support, but this is just rambling sayings. Not helpful.

to the OP, making running a permanent habit will help you a lot to lower your times. If you aren't close to a race at this point, just focus on getting the miles in without injury and you will be in good shape for when you near your next race.

2011 goals: sub 60min 10K

√ run 1st HM (May 29)