Timex IRONMAN TRIATHLON Watch (30-Lap Recall) (Read 43 times)

pedaling fool

I've been riding a bike for virtually my entire adult life and just took up running a little over ten years ago...and now, finally, I've taken up swimming --- figured might as well close that circle

I quickly learned that counting laps SUCKS!! So I bought a cheap $40 Timex IRONMAN TRIATHLON Watch, with 30-Lap Recall. A couple weeks into my new sport and I've found that 30-lap recall is not enough. Also it's a pain in the ass to hit that button at each lap.

I saw a ring-style lap counter, but haven't looked at it yet as far as features.

Any recommendations on lap counters? Nothing too fancy, since I'm new to the sport.

Also curious from anyone that has used the  Timex IRONMAN TRIATHLON Watch. Did you have any problems?

I'm really curious how long before the lap button breaks -- that's a lot of pushing I do on it.

And what has me a little worried is that the instructions say not to push the button with the watch under water, which I don't; however, there is a lot of water that pools around the rim, since I push it immediately after bringing my hand out of the water. Not sure if that's bad or not?

Thanx for any inputs...

btw, watch similar to this: https://express.google.com/product/4272969087197370333_2225879114458608109_10046?mall=WashingtonDC&directCheckout=1&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=product_ads&utm_campaign=gsx&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzbawt-aF3gIV2LXACh2DnAceEAQYASABEgIUm_D_BwE

srussell

Hi there. I have been using this exact watch pretty much for over 8 years. I actually have 2 of them as I got one for Christmas one year. I have had to replace the battery once, the button still works (it hasn't broken).

The button is hard to press when you have gloves on (when running in the cold) and some of the plastic around the face of the watch has peeled off, but I think that's because I shower with it on almost always. The other thing is that the sound the watch makes when you press the button can be hard to hear if you're running in a race with a lot of runners and spectators. In those situations, I have to put the watch up closer to my ear when I press the button in order to make sure it was pressed.

I cannot speak to using the watch while biking or swimming however, so I'm not sure how it will hold up doing them. But since I shower with it on, I know that it can withstand some amount of water (though I'm not pressing the button while showering).

Overall, though, I've been happy with the watch. Hope that helps some.

GC100k

I've been using a Timex Ironman for decades. Never had buttons wear out. I lose it or break the band or something before it dies. I don't know how old my current one is, at least 5 years because I know I had it before I moved here. Never changed the battery or anything. Swam with it, snorkeled in the ocean with it. Those things are hard to kill. Looking at it now, it's a 30 lap one, but I know I've had the 100 lap one before.

Garmin has a few swim lap watches.  
          Garmin 920xt, 735, etc.

(modified "935xt" to "920xt".  I wear a 920xt.  My son wears a 735xt)

When you start the watch in "pool" swim mode, you swim.  And when you finish, you hit the stop button.  It calculates the number of laps you swam and the distances (you pre-set the pool length as 25yd, 25m, 50m).

Great watches and if you bike and run as well, they can be easily switched over to those GPS settings to track everything you want/need to track.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

JimR

I've had my 100 lap tri for about 15 or so years, it's all I use.  In the last couple of years the side button contacts are getting flaky, the face buttons for stop/start and lap have never had an issue.  I replace the battery every couple of years and clean the contacts.

I don't swim but have used it in the rain a lot without issue, and I generally shower with it on (keeps the band clean and odor free :-) ).

The 30 lapper wouldn't be enough for sure.  In a pool it would be desireable to have something with pool functionality so you don't have to press anything.  GPS doesn't really work in a pool btw.

In a pool it would be desireable to have something with pool functionality so you don't have to press anything.  GPS doesn't really work in a pool btw.

The garmin 920xt has the following features:

Swimming Features

Available swim profiles

Pool Swimming, Open Water Swimming

Pool swim metrics (lengths, distance, pace, stroke count/rate, calories)  
              Stroke type detection (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly)  
              Swim efficiency (SWOLF)  
              Drill logging  
              Pool swim workouts  
              Open-water swim metrics (distance, pace, stroke count/rate, stroke distance, calories)  
              Heart rate (real-time during rests, interval and session stats during rests, and automatic heart rate download post-swim) yes (with HRM-Tri™ and HRM-Swim&tradeWink

It does not use GPS for the pool (obviously), but it tracks the wall based on the change of direction and counts that as a lap.

I only swim freestyle, so mine is relatively simple to calculate. 
              My son is on a swim team, and swims all strokes.  He can review his workout and his strokes after practice when going through Garmin Connect.

Calculation of SWOLF is also interesting.  It's the sum of time to cross pool PLUS the number of strokes to cross the pool.  A SWOLF of "36" might be 10 strokes + 26 seconds.

I believe that most Garmin swim watches have similar functionality as you see here.

(I used to have a Garmin SWIM watch, but I don't think they make them anymore.  All of the features shown above, but without any GPS functionality to be used for any other type of training).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life