All in my head...? (Read 574 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I have taken most of the past week off from running to help heal my #^$@%$ right knee (patellofemoral pain syndrome). I've been concentrating on working the knee supporting quad muscles to help my kneecap track better and doing a lot more stretching for the backs of my legs and hips. Anyhow, for the past few days my legs have been very achey (not DOMS...it's not a dull, stiff ache...more twingey and sort of radiating up and down the muscles in the fronts of my legs while at rest and often in my shins). This is the most consecutive days I have taken off from running since I started over 2 years ago. I never get muscle aches like this from running, so I'm starting to think that it's some sort of response to the drastic decrease in my usual workouts. Or is it psychosomatic? Anyone else deal with as much "physical" pain from not running as they do with running?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

You've gotta take an extended break every now and then, might as well be now. Go swim for a couple weeks.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I am going through knee?ITB?Hamstring Tendon issues as well. Have you tried massage therapy? I am going to massage and physio. I am doing strenghening and streching as well. Like you I am frustrated. I have substantially reduced my mileage and have adopted an approach of recovery run and walking to maintain a very base level of fitness. I am finding some general soreness as I progress from one stage to teh next but the pain is not getting worse. Even though I do not have a stress fracture I am following the following guide. http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml I do not progress to the next stage until I feel comfortable at the stage I am at. I just moved to the Run 15 walk 2 Run 15 and it has taken me 4 weeks to get there rather than the three and I am likely to remain at that pace all week. Good Luck