Seasonal Planning: Daniels vs Pfitzinger (Read 736 times)

This is a question for those of you who- -plan your seasons -have read both daniel's running formula and road racing for serious runners Both authors seem to use a lot of the same science/physiology, but their approaches to planning seasons are completely opposite (besides the fact that Daniels advocates a race prep period that is twice as long). Both agree that a strong 'base' is necessary before moving into any quality training. However, Pfitzinger puts threshold running as part of base/endurance training. Pfitzinger basically progresses from LSD to threshold (LT) to V02max (shorter faster running) then racing. Daniels starts with LSD, then moves into really short distance reps, then longer intervals, then threshold training and tune up races before one's goal race. The way I learned to run, in HS, more closely matches Pfitzinger, but that doesn't mean much. I'm curious how others feel about both approaches or if you use something different entirely.
      For both my BQ marathons in 2007, I used an approach that sides with Daniels. First, let me tell you that I trained 4 days a week for about the first 12-14 weeks, Then, for the last 4-5 weeks before tapering, I added a Wed run that was usually 5-6 miles at sightseeing pace. Sunday was easy, Tue was 800m repeats with an 800 meter recovery and I worked up to 10 repeats. Thu was an easy day for about the first 6-8 weeks, then it became an LT (or close) paced run. Saturdays were long or maybe a race. I had results that satisfied me but that's not to say I got optimal results for my efforts. My mileage for the periods were from 140-165 a month and I had a couple months in the 180's. My total for 2007 was 1810 which is an average of slightly over 150. At my age, it only takes 3:45 for a BQ and I ran 3:42:30 at Tampa in Feb and 3:35:31 at Louisville in October. For reference/comparison purposes, my best 5k's were a 20:29 on 07/14 and a 20:28 on 10/13. I also ran a 1:35:19 half-m on 11/04.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

mikeymike

I've read (and own) RRSR. I've only skimmed Daniels Running Formula. But have looked at a lot of the workouts. One thing I think that accounts for some of the differences is that RRSR is a bit dated and due for a 2nd edition. Daniels is in it's 2nd ed and came out in 2005. Some of the conventional wisdom in Pfitz especially for marathon training is a bit dated, IMO. I followed Pfitz pretty closely for marathon training in 02. Eventually through trial and error and bouncing things off other runners etc I figured out what works for me which is mileage, progression runs, and long high aerobic, sometimes threshold type intervals. Hardly any true speedwork beyond strides. The few workouts I do are probably more like Daniels' marathon workouts than anything in Pfitz. I do a lot of long, hard runs with multiple paces but rarely go any faster than 10k pace except for strides. I really don't think it makes a lot of sense to follow any program word for word. Read both books, understand the concepts and the purpose behind certain kinds of workouts--and then put it together with your own strengths & weaknesses, your goals, what you like and don't like, and what you want to get out of training.

Runners run

I really don't think it makes a lot of sense to follow any program word for word. Read both books, understand the concepts and the purpose behind certain kinds of workouts--and then put it together with your own strengths & weaknesses, your goals, what you like and don't like, and what you want to get out of training.
          I agree with all of this. Was just trying to get input on the order/priority that people put on different types of workouts. One thing, though, is that a lot of you seem to be marathon runners and do not place any emphasis on faster work. I'm actually more curious about 10/21k races than the Marathon sections of the books. In the end, I know I will be making my own plans, just curious how everyone felt about the differences in approaches.
          mikeymike

I wouldn't call myself a marathoner. I've run a few marathons but I've run a lot more races at 5k - 21k. My training is geared toward being able to race well at 5k to 21k pretty much any time, and then occasionally be able to peak for a marathon. I've been able to race well at those distances (I think) with the above priorities. On the rare occasion that I decide to focus exclusively on peaking for the 5k, which I may do for a brief period later this year, I will take about 4-6 weeks where I do two workouts a week; one short intervals 200-1000s at 3k-5k pace, the other long intervals 1000-3000s at 10k-LT pace. Otherwise my training priorities are the same year round; mileage over rolling hills, progression runs, long intervals usually on the roads and weekly strides.

Runners run

thanks mike. That is probably the general direction I'm heading. I don't know how soon I'd focus on a 5k, but I think, after a bit of base buiding (going from high 20s to high 30s), I'd like to run a big 10k PR. Do you think 4-6 weeks of a change in training is enough to see a positive effect (like your 5k prep). I'd assume that would be the minimum, but I don't know.
              mikeymike

Do you think 4-6 weeks of a change in training is enough to see a positive effect (like your 5k prep). I'd assume that would be the minimum, but I don't know.
                Yes. I think if you have a really solid base then 4-6 weeks is all it takes to peak for races in the 5k-10k range. Really all you're talking about is 6-10 workouts total. For the marathon it takes a little longer, about 8 weeks or so.

Runners run