Finally, finally, finally!!!!!!!!! (Read 345 times)

Julia1971

Congratulations!  It must feel so sweet to finally get to the 2:40s after years of trying.

Village people

That is a huge PR, congrats!

beat

Break on through

Very nice time!

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

xhristopher

4 minutes is a nice jump in that time zone. Congrats!!

No Talent Drips

Boom! Way to go Joe!

Dei Gratia

joescott

That is a great improvement. Way to go. Did you do something different during the build this time? I see you had a really high mileage October, but I don't know what your typical build looks like. Weight? Nutrition? Really, really nice job.

I think it was the combination of many factors.  Yes, I was watching my weight much more closely than usual.  And I trained hard in the 8 weeks leading up to the race.  (I learned back in 2012 that I think I really do best on a short cycle -- 12 weeks is too long for me and bad things happen and I get stale).  I almost suspect, though, that overall it had more to do with over 3000 miles run since January 1, 2014, far more consistent and higher volume than I've ever put in before.  I think I needed every bit of it.  I caught a mother cold virus two weeks before the race, missed some work and missed four training days because of it, and I was very afraid that I was doomed.  But I guess I started getting well just in time.  Race day was "warm" (60F) and there was a meaningful wind blowing 10-13 mph out of the south with gusts much stronger than that, so the conditions, while not terrible, were not optimal, either.  Also it was a very very lonely race after the half marathoners finished.  Good thing I am pretty well accustomed to long, lonely miles on the windy Kansas prairie.  So, anyway, all things considered, I think I needed every ounce of training and effort I invested to get the result I got.  I certainly feel like I gave it everything I had on race day.  There was no more!

I wonder....  my face must have looked pretty intense/dreadful/gnarly by the final miles.  A bicycle policeman was going up and down the course around the 23 mile mark, and he took a look at me and said, "Wow, man.  You have some guts."  I can only imagine that I must have looked completely terrible!

You all are so kind.  Thanks for letting me share my brief moment of glory with you.  :-)

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

4 minutes is a nice jump in that time zone. Congrats!!

Central Standard Time.

jfa

That's fast Joe. Nice going.

I wonder....  my face must have looked pretty intense/dreadful/gnarly by the final miles.  A bicycle policeman was going up and down the course around the 23 mile mark, and he took a look at me and said, "Wow, man.  You have some guts."  I can only imagine that I must have looked completely terrible!

Ok, he might not be one of us "running peeps" but that's quite a compliment!  Hopefully, you mustered up enough strength to say "thanks"

npaden

Pretty amazing.

Only downside is that now you can't give advice on ultra running questions because you are one of those 2:4X marathoners!  

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I wanted to add that this is pretty inspiring to me, personally, Joe. You're not some newbie still on your automatic improvement curve. You've been at this a while and have always trained really smart and really hard. To be able to take 4 minutest out of your marathon PR at age 48 is serious, serious business.

I've been thinking about another serious go at the marathon in 2015 and I'll be going back through your training log for inspiration.

Runners run

sweet!

told my running bud about you this morning

funny how hard we work to trim minutes or seconds off times, which for 99% of our friends/family is trivial

Get off my porch

All those 80 and 90 mile weeks made my legs ache just by reading them.  That is some hard core discipline.

Why is it sideways?

Stud. Great work my man.