At what age did you win your first race?(overall male/female) (Read 445 times)

Dream Maker

Careful, that doesn't last long.  Granted, sprinting is not my strong suit- my max speed is roughly where my 5K speed is... but, tonight, my 5 year old implied to me that I would have to cheat to win a race against babies.  And although she might be right...

I can beat my not quite 2 year old in sprints from one side of the family room to the other.

That is about the only 'race' I'm ever going to win.

some call me Tim

Age 10, 200 meters. I set a local grade school record wearing my red Chuck Taylors. Same thing the following year. Then I went out for  Cross Country in Jr. High and nobody would let me run the 200 anymore. I won the mile a couple of times during high school, but haven't won a race in a long time.

Granted, I took 20 years off to smoke cigarettes, so there weren't a whole lot of chances in there.

I can beat my not quite 2 year old in sprints from one side of the family room to the other.

That is about the only 'race' I'm ever going to win.

Congrats, Joking I decided to test this last night, so I decided to run sprints with my three year old 'Tiny Tots' class. After a grueling warm-up (for me - not them), we all lined up, took our starting positions, and then pushed ourselves to the limits of our physical abilities... Although, at times the race was close. It became a race to break all precedents. A race of youth vs. age, childlike drive vs. experience, student vs. teacher. But... In the end, there can only be ONE winner...

catwhoorg

Labrat

Careful, that doesn't last long.  Granted, sprinting is not my strong suit- my max speed is roughly where my 5K speed is... but, tonight, my 5 year old implied to me that I would have to cheat to win a race against babies.  And although she might be right...

I figure I have 2-3 years worth of winning it to go.
           Then it will be really off to the retirement running for old man races.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mmmmm...beer

Congrats, Joking I decided to test this last night, so I decided to run sprints with my three year old 'Tiny Tots' class. After a grueling warm-up (for me - not them), we all lined up, took our starting positions, and then pushed ourselves to the limits of our physical abilities... Although, at times the race was close. It became a race to break all precedents. A race of youth vs. age, childlike drive vs. experience, student vs. teacher. But... In the end, there can only be ONE winner...

So which kid won? Joking

Closest I've come is 9th in a 5k of about 300 people, and I was still 3min behind the winner, so I think I'll just have to be happy with some AG wins.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

In a string of four consecutive races from last Nov. to this April I finished 2nd to 4 different people. Once by one second. Then last month I finished a race in 27th. But the dude who beat me by 10 seconds in the third race finished 28th. It was pretty sweet. So there you go.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
              Eternal Rookie

After 42 years of trying, I got my first overall in a road race win at age 55.  Then I won the next 2 that I entered before the streak ended. I was cherry picking. In the spring and fall there are so many races around here on the same weekend you just have to figure out where the big boys are and go elsewhere.

Also, it was the first time the race was run, so I set the meet and course record which will never to be broken because it was run on an unfinished highway that now has cars screaming down it at 70mph.

Charles G

Age 38 Mile all-comers  in 5;41. I ran 5;35 and 5;38 a few years earlier and came in ;last.  I generally finished in the 20-25th percentile in the eighties and nineties running 39-40 for 10k and 31-32 for 5 miles. But I plugged in some of my old times for the same races in 2013 and would have come in the top 3 in my age group in some of the races. I don't know why race times are so much slower now because I see a lot of fast runners in my neighborhood.

Walk-Jogger

I was third in my age group once.  Does that count?

In my last 50 or so races, I won third in my age group once also! Big grin

(I was 1st or 2nd place in all the others . . . )

Retired &  Loving It

diane_77

Keep it up!  You may be one of the elites one day!!

I think I won a relay race when I was in 5th grade during a feild day.  I was pretty darn proud of that, but I don't think I'll be getting anywhere near 1st place ever again.  I just run to finish! Big grin

Scooterscott

Was looking over this thread and wanted to ask a related side question.

In 2006 I won one overall at age 36 (not counting track wins during H.S.)  It was a new 10K and at the time I was looking for a sub 40 but there really wasn't a big turnout, so no one to push me.  Ended up running nearly 7k alone at the front and missed time goal (actual - 41:00)

The origional poster  seems to be surprised to be at the front at her age and how that compares to others.  My best advice is go to bigger races and see how you stack up there.  Any tricks on finding good sized races that aren't too big or what size race is best.  Seems like there things are massive or just too small.

Hoban-Jay

So Ima young girl runner that is already winning races(against older people) And i want to know if this is normal. I won my fist race at age 10 it was a 5k. I had just started running. My latest race that i won was a mile race at the age of 11 with a time of 6:00(It was a very hilly race).

Well, I'm 46 and am yet to win my first race...  So, from my perspective it's NOT normal for anyone younger than 46 to be the overall winner of a race.   (The only time I came in the top three in my age division, is when there were only three finishers in my age division...)  Cry

Feeling the growl again

Well, I'm 46 and am yet to win my first race...  So, from my perspective it's NOT normal for anyone younger than 46 to be the overall winner of a race.   (The only time I came in the top three in my age division, is when there were only three finishers in my age division...)  Cry

I kind of doubt the people winning these races are all 46+....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

posted earlier but forgot this one.     2010 ran HM (Ave of the Giants, N. Calif)    & hoping for top 5-10 in AG.  really had no idea.   when results were posted had to look 3 different times at printed results.  I won my AG (54 at time) & thought, wow that must be a mistake.  At awards ceremony I was awared blue medal (1st).    later next day was visiting a friend & he said "great job with that 2nd place Ag".  what? I thought, I was awarded 1st place at ceremony.   few days later got back home up near Seattle & checked results.  sure enough somewhere they had made a mistake or correction & I did end up 2nd 50-59 AG. & not 1st.  oh well, wondered what happened & what happened to  the guy who actually placed 1st ?    did I give back the blue ribbon medal?   Heck no!  maybe should have.  hopefully they gave him some kind of award.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Um, never, unless it was just me in the race.  I have taken 3rd female overall, though, in some small races.