Who's lining up for NYC next week? (Read 1042 times)

Thought I'd see a couple threads on here about New York or Fall marathoning in general. Anyone finalizing their training going into next week's race? I'm interested because my own training has been a bit up and down and I want to browse others' training logs in relation to their goal times.

I think I'm good for a 2:58 or so, but didn't nail down as many long runs as I'd hoped due to some injury down time. In all I put in only six runs greater than 17mi, including three of 20mi or more. Filled the gaps with cycling and swimming. I have three years of consistent running that I think will carry me through if I get the pacing right through the first 10mi. Anyone have any input on the race or reflections on their own training cycle going into the weekend?

Word.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I'm running NYC.  On a good day, I think I can get close to 3:05 but am planning to simply re-BQ with a 3:15.  I'll take it out easy and then see how I feel. 

Training has been OK but I have struggled to get in the miles...  However; I blew up in my last marathon, 4 weeks ago, so my confidence is low; but that crappy performance was more because it was too warm for me and I didn't adjust my pace accordingly. 

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

No Talent Drips

I'm there. Not sure what to expect...I'll make a race day judgment, but I'll be disappointed with anything north of 3hrs. Training has been all over the place--and my goal race was 4 weeks ago today, so NYC is sort of a wind down, see what's left in the tank, and enjoy the city.

Good luck folks.

Dei Gratia

Right on - thanks for the responses fellas. Nemo I have a very similar profile as yourself, and oddly have put in very similar mileage in this training cycle. It calms the butterflies a bit to read that you feel your training points you towards similar pacing. With your goal race behind you hopefully you're able to keep your head in the game when things get uncomfortable and continue to press. Maybe I'll even be there to help, who knows?

I've never run this course but have seen the race on t.v. several times. Seems as though there's a large emotional dip after passing through the business district on 1st Avenue (16mi?), that carries out to the turnaround in the Bronx. I can't tell if the hills in Central Park are a chore or not, but I'm going with the expectation that anything at mile 23 of a marathon is going to be a chore. Can't wait, it's going to be a blast no matter what.

Anyone know of a good place to grab a beer somewhere in the vicinity of the finish?

Imminent Catastrophe

FWIW I thought the long climb up 5th avenue just before you enter the Park were the toughest. Once in the Park the crowds and adrenaline kick in. Oh and Brooklyn crowds are even better than the ones on 1st Avenue. Enjoy.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Schmize

I am in!  Will be my 1st time doing this race.  I am pretty sure I can go sub 3:05, but will see how the body feels and make a game time decision to try for a sub 3:00.  I have a few good indicators saying I can bust through, but weather and the course may influence.  Looking forward to it!

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'll be there.  It's my 6th NYCM.

Not sure what to shoot for, I re-BQd' a couple weeks ago at Grand Rapids with 3:09 unexpectedly.  I think I might just go out too hard and fast for a quick half and then see what happens.  It's a good race to experiment with, since it's not my A-race and I have another one 2 weeks later.

NYCM is awesome.  I agree that the crowds in Brooklyn are way better than in Manhattan (or in Queens, or the Bronx).   My wife and friends will be along 4th ave and 16th or so, so look for them Clown

My team just made up new running singlets and I picked mine up last night.  Very cool.  Black with white "Empire" on the front and red lettering on the back (Empire Tri Club) and our logo.   

Anyway, I'm excited to race and the HUGE blisters from Grand Rapids are just about healed up!  hahahaha

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

This will be my first time there. I haven't looked into the course profile. I had a goal of 2:45, but am not in that kind of shape. It's turned into more of an excuse to see the city (only my 2nd time visiting the city). I'm a little nervous about how I'll do considering that I am undertrained, but all of this pales in comparison to the travel logistics. I'm staying at somebody's place in New Jersey and have to figure out getting to/from the expo and to/from the race and know nothing about New York transportation. This is far more daunting to me than the race itself. I nearly withdrew from the race just because of it, but decided I should grow a pair, as literally millions of people manage their way in and out of the city on a daily basis, so why can't I?

But here it is Wednesday and I'm still not sure how I'm getting in and out of the city. The 26.2 miles might be the most stress-free part of my weekend.

I'm in - another first timer.  Just about to jump on a plane from New Zealand.  Hoping for about 3.10 if the jet lag doesn't kill me :-)

Race well everyone.

tomatolover

This will be my first time there. I haven't looked into the course profile. I had a goal of 2:45, but am not in that kind of shape. It's turned into more of an excuse to see the city (only my 2nd time visiting the city). I'm a little nervous about how I'll do considering that I am undertrained, but all of this pales in comparison to the travel logistics. I'm staying at somebody's place in New Jersey and have to figure out getting to/from the expo and to/from the race and know nothing about New York transportation. This is far more daunting to me than the race itself. I nearly withdrew from the race just because of it, but decided I should grow a pair, as literally millions of people manage their way in and out of the city on a daily basis, so why can't I?

But here it is Wednesday and I'm still not sure how I'm getting in and out of the city. The 26.2 miles might be the most stress-free part of my weekend.

Don't freak out about getting to/from the expo... Public transit to the city NOT on race day is really easy...the Javits center is about a 10 minute walk from Port Authority (bus) and a 15 minute walk from Penn station (rail)...

http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

Also- don't know where in Jersey you'll be, but the local running group has a bus for members and non members from Paramus, NJ http://njmasters.com/procs/news.php#50  

ultramarathon/triathlete

But here it is Wednesday and I'm still not sure how I'm getting in and out of the city. T

Where in NJ are you?  There are a lot of trains in and out of the city, or if you friend has a car (in NJ, so they probably do) maybe they plan to drive you?  Don't fret, it'll all work out! 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

Madison, NJ.

What disturbs me about the official bus transportation is that there isn't official parking; you only get dropped off. And then they don't say that the buses return you in the afternoon.

That bus in Paramus is a 40 minute drive and somewhat out of the way, but would simplify the whole process so much that I might actually do it. Thanks for the info, sixelagogo!

The buses from NJ don't take you back to NJ, just to the start. You've got to get your own way home. That is why its drop-off and not parking.

This will be my 3rd NYC. Treating it as a long run, I've got bigger fish to fry in Houston and Boston next year. Hoping just to BQ 2013 (3:15) and resume training ASAP.

There are 3 ginormous hills on this course. Mile 1 (Verranzano Bridge). Mile 16 (59th St Bridge). Mile 24 (5th Ave). They all suck. Mile 16 and 24 especially. You can't see the end of the 59th st bridge hill because you are running on the lower level. But please remember to look to your left when you are doing so, you won't see a skyline like that in any other marathon.

Mile 24 just sucks because it goes on forever and its at the end of the race. Please note, that 5th avenue will feel like the Tour De France most likely because the crowd swarm you at that point (until you get into the park).

And all this and an uphill finish. I find Boston to be a way faster course than New York. I ran 2:56 last year 5 weeks after running 2:53 in Wineglass.

ultramarathon/triathlete

ScreenName1, I agree about the hills, but the first mile you don't even notice, no matter how big the bridge incline.

For the guy in Madison, can you maybe get your host to drive you to the start in Staten Island?  The bridges do close, but they allow for drop offs before the official bridge closing time.  I would imagine that at 6am on marathon sunday, most of the roads around you will be fairly clear so getting to the start might be quick by car  (I think you'd take the Outter Bridge Crossing from NJ to SI, which, oddly was named after a guy named OutterBridge). 

ETA:

My wife (who's from NJ) just informed me Madison is on the train line we typically take to visit her family.   It goes straight into Penn and it's an easy trip.  Check NJ transit out. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                              Gatorade Endurance Team

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

See you all there! 2nd time around for me, and just hoping to do better than last time.  If the weather is anything like it was in 2009, crowd support should be a phenomenal experience.  I don't think I saw a bare patch of sidewalk until we hit the Bronx, around mile 20 or 21. I am really looking forward to this!