Garmin 305 for Cycling...? (Read 600 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is there anything specific I need to know? Can I simply wear it on my wrist, just as I would for running (as opposed to using a bike mount)? I assume I need to go into the cycling mode...I really haven't played with any other modes, other than the basic running one. How does the cycling mode differ from the running mode...does it sample more or less, or is it related to using a cadence sensor thingie? I'm working on incorporating some biking into my workouts to benefit my quads (hey, and the additional aerobic/fat-burning effects are a nice bonus, too!).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The main difference in cycling mode (I think) is simply that the default units are speed (mph or km/h) rather than pace. And the fact that using it allows the history of the different workout types to be stored separately. I don't see any issue wearing it on your wrist -- you'll still have a clear line with the satellites. As you mentioned, there is an optional cadence sensor ($38.99 at Amazon), which allows you to read out cycling cadence in rpm. But it's not 100% necessary since the Garmin will tell you speed (though as Did would tell you, a lot of cycling is done at a constant cadence while shifting gears as necessary to account for terrain). MTA: If you start doing it and find having it on your wrist to be annoying, they sell a mount that allows you to mount the device on your handlebars. From the looks of it on the link below, you get a deal if you buy the sensor and mount together.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, that's pretty much what I thought. Though the cadence sensor would be kinda cool, since I'm riding a clunky '98 mountain bike with slick tires, rather than a roadie...so I'll be going relatively slow, even if my cadence is high. But I can get a tougher workout in less distance, which is kind of a benefit. Big grin Dude, 4+ loopy miles last night and my sitbones are pretty angry. My ass needs to HTFU (I could probably benefit from a less squishy and wide seat, too).

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Dude, 4+ loopy miles last night and my sitbones are pretty angry. My ass needs to HTFU (I could probably benefit from a less squishy and wide seat, too).
          Well, sounds like you might be better served spending the money on a better saddle rather than Garmin accessories!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, I wasn't going to get any Garmin accessories, anyhow. If I had a road bike and was doing more than a couple hours/week of cycling I would, but now now. I'm definitely going to look at a new saddle, though. The one I have was maybe $20-30 and is super squishy gel--which seemed like a good idea at the time, but we've since learned that all that cushion is actually counter-intuitive. Specialized apparently makes different width saddles, that way a person can purchase the saddle that actually fits their sit bones the best. What I have now is sort of an all-purpose, fairly wide (not really comfort, but definitely wider than even a touring saddle) cheapy thing.

~ Sarah Kay

Running Dad

I got my wife a generic saddle with the springs and relief cutout. Made all the difference for her. I don't know how people can stand gel.. it's to 'weird' feeling. As for using your garmin I would strongly recommend mounting it if you can. It's better to look down at your bar for a split second than it is to look down and take your hand of the bar. Just food for thought. Yes
              Things to do this year:
              Not get an injury
              Things done this year:
              Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As for using your garmin I would strongly recommend mounting it if you can. It's better to look down at your bar for a split second than it is to look down and take your hand of the bar. Just food for thought. Yes
                I wasn't really planning to look down at all (I don't look at it all that much on my wrist while running...which is how I went 2 miles last week without realizing that I had errantly stopped it Wink)--just have a record of how far I went if I decide to noodle around a bit on back roads that aren't always on Google Maps. I'm not going to be concerned with speed or anything on my clunky bike, just distance covered in an hour or so of riding.

~ Sarah Kay