Not sure whether to rest or resume (Read 756 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ran a 16-mile race last Sunday - ran it decently fast for me for my first one, and sped up by about 45s per mile for the last 3 miles. Then ran 4 more miles afterwards with a running buddy, because we wanted to accomplish 20 miles that day. My upper legs were sore the next day -- felt stiff walking downstairs, like after a marathon, but not nearly as bad. So I took Monday off. Tuesday I ran 2 easy, then ran a 5K x-country course (I was helping out, and had never seen the course, and wanted to see it). Today I ran short (2.5) in the morning, and medium (9) in the evening. My upper legs are still faintly sore. I've never raced a long race before (I've done one marathon, but I did it slow, so it wasn't exactly racing.) Should I rest more, or take tomorrow off, to ensure I get enough recovery benefit? I've just managed to get to abt 60mi/week in the past two weeks, for my high before a marathon at the end of the month, so part of me wants to put in more miles this week to get near 60 once more, but another part wonders if I'm lowering the benefit of the race/long run combo by getting in miles instead of recovery. (Note: I have a 10-mile race this coming Sunday, but I probably won't try to go as fast on it if I'm still feeling a bit sore.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

#artbydmcbride

An easy run would be fine and should do more for you than just more rest. Can you do self massage ( Big grin ) or roll your upper legs on a foam roller?

Runners run

I agree with Ilene. Not a great idea to race a hard 10-miler so soon though.
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        JakeKnight

Normally I'd say HTFU and go run. But you've had ridiculously consistent mileage, just ran a race, and haven't had a cut-back week in at least 6 weeks. Take a day or two off, run that 10-miler easy(ish). You earned the break. Don't get injured this close to a goal marathon.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

JimR

Nothing faster than easy runs only, keep the distance limited to 4-5 miles for a couple more days. If you can't discipline yourself to reign it in for this 10 miler, skip it and just run easy long somewhere. If you were feeling fine by this point, I'd say do the Sunday race, but you're not so it means you have some tissue damage. You can run through it no problem, but you can't race through it.
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks all. Geez, I completely forgot about cut-back weeks. ADD again.

Why is it sideways?

Nice log, amores. If you run, run very easy. Listening to your body means living to fight another day. If you can swim at all, or can stand aqua-jogging, it might be a good time to jump in the pool. When's your goal race? When you come out on the other side of this, you're gonna fly.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Sure, I like swimming. Have a practice tri tomorrow, but will probably do the run leg with someone else to keep myself from racing it Smile My goal is a marathon at end of this month, so getting close and no injury so far -- happy, happy.

Why is it sideways?

Sure, I like swimming. Have a practice tri tomorrow, but will probably do the run leg with someone else to keep myself from racing it Smile My goal is a marathon at end of this month, so getting close and no injury so far -- happy, happy.
                    Holy crap you are so gonna PR by like an hour. All you gotta do between now and then is make it to the starting line.
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Holy crap you are so gonna PR by like an hour. All you gotta do between now and then is make it to the starting line.
                      I hope to -- but for the next one, I'm gonna need some help on how to PR by another hour.. haha

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That is really because I ran the first one in such a way as to PR the second one -- that is, *really* slow. This is kind of the anti-Salazar approach, and I think it is good for morale -- leave lots of room to be able to improve Smile