Flu shot (Read 914 times)

Along for the Ride

Trent - I was told the "Flu mist" is more effective than the flu shot. Any insights? I agree with everyone else that I will most likely survive the real flu, but I should do something about being a carrier to old and very young and very sick people. Colds are not the flu. However, I've had a weird reaction to Tetanus boosters in the past. Blood pressure dropped after shot. Happened twice, 10 years apart. Last time pressure was 70 over not detectable. I was allergy tested on my skin (!) and told the tests were inconclusive, but not to get the Tetanus boosters anymore. Last thing I want to do is to go to Safeway to die of anaphylaxis after the drive-through flu shot... But the Flu mist might be the ticket? MTA - I've never had the flu shot.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

ALL medications and treatments risk killing you via allergic reactions and other effects. ALL of them. But by and large, most are very safe. This includes the flu vaccine. The mist is neither more or less safe and it is neither more or less effective than the shot. (Unless you have asthma, in which case the mist may kill you.) The flu shot you receive at the grocer is identical to the one you receive at the doctor's office.
      redleaf

My mom works in a long-term care facility. My dad was a beat cop - lots of public interaction in both cases. We all got the shot when we lived at home 'cause you never know. I missed it one year in uni. Spent 10 days in bed feeling like I had been hit by a steamroller when I got the flu later that year. I haven't missed one since. I've never felt any ill effects after getting the shot.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

I get one every year- usually at work for free. I do NOT believe you can get sick from the shot- it's not a live virus and it just isn't going to happen (unless it's an allergic reaction, as Trent said). I got mine this year the day before a half marathon. I took several doses of Advil the day of the shot and didn't even have any soreness in my arm. Did fine in the race.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

seeEricaRun

Awesome

This includes the flu vaccine. The mist is neither more or less safe and it is neither more or less effective than the shot.
            I'll defer to you, since you're actually the doctor, but we were told in lecture last week (Infectious Disease) that the FluMist may be more effective. My understanding was that this is because it's a live, attenuated vaccine which, in general, to be more immunogenic than the dead vaccine (like those used in the shot).
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Perhaps, but I am not aware of any evidence that shows this effect makes any clinically significant difference.
                I had the flu shot. I was also sick for about 48 hours. From a strictly scientific viewpoint one cannot say a correlation is established. Still...
                I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                  I had the flu shot. I was also sick for about 48 hours. From a strictly scientific viewpoint one cannot say a correlation is established. Still...
                  You can have a reaction to the flu shot immediately after getting it including soreness, aches, and a fever, but these only last a couple of days at most before they go away. As has been mentioned before, since the flu shot contains dead viruses only, it's impossible to actually get the flu from the shot itself. Source: http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/about/qa/flushot.htm
                    I agree with everything in Trent's post. The influenza vaccine does not make you sick; it contains killed virus. There seem to be a number of myths about the vaccine that discourage people from getting it, but the fact is that everyone should be getting one, regardless if you think you need it or not, because getting it could prevent you from unknowingly spreading the virus to someone else who is in the high risk category (children, elderly, asthmatics, etc). I can see if the money is holding you back, but if you can find somewhere to get it for free, it is definitely worth it. Here is a list of well-cited facts about the influenza vaccine: MYTH: The flu vaccine is only for people who are at high risk Anyone exposed to the flu virus can get the flu. The virus is contagious and can spread easily among people. High-risk groups are typically defined as the elderly, young children and people with chronic illnesses. All people who are in close contact with those that are considered "high risk" are advised to get a flu vaccination to protect themselves and others (3) MYTH: I got vaccinated last year, so I don’t need to get vaccinated this year The dominant strains of the flu virus change every year and the formulation of the flu vaccine is adjusted annually to include the most current circulating flu strains. It is important to get vaccinated every year to help protect yourself against the flu.(4) MYTH:The flu is just a bad cold A cold and the flu are both considered respiratory illnesses but they are caused by different viruses and the flu involves more of the body than just the respiratory system. In general, the flu is worse than a cold and symptoms such as fever, body aches, extreme tiredness and dry cough are more common and intense. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose. Colds generally do not result in serious health problems such as pneumonia, bacterial infections, or hospitalization. No vaccine can prevent a cold, but the flu vaccine can help prevent the flu.(5) MYTH: You can get the flu or other infections from the injected vaccine The injected shot is composed of an inactivated or killed virus that cannot cause disease. You cannot get the flu by receiving a flu shot.(6) MYTH: The flu cannot cause serious health complications or death In fact, in the United States an average of 36,000 people die annually from flu and flu-related complications.(7). Flu and pneumonia together are the 7th leading cause of death in the United States(8). Complications resulting from the flu can include bacterial pneumonia, dehydration, and worsening of chronic medical conditions, such as congestive heart failure, asthma, or diabetes. Children may experience sinus problems and ear infections.(9) MYTH: There is no way for doctors to diagnose flu for sure A physician may diagnose flu based on symptoms and physical exam. In addition, laboratory tests can confirm a flu diagnosis. The virus may be cultured from swabs of your deep nasal passages or throat, or blood tests may confirm a rise in your antibody to the virus, indicating a recent infection.(10) MYTH: The flu cannot be passed from person-to-person While many think the cold weather or going out with wet hair may contribute to the flu, it can only be transmitted by an infected person, which is why it is vital for those who are in close contact with people who are considered high risk to get vaccinated each year.(11) MYTH: Most people catch the flu by December According to Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), the flu season can begin as early as October and can extend through March, and often peaks as late as January or February. Getting vaccinated before the end of the calendar year is the best way to prevent the flu. However, a flu vaccine can still be effective if administered later since the flu shot only requires two weeks to take effect and flu activity may continue in to March.(12) MYTH: Stomach flu is a certain type of flu People often use the term "stomach flu" to describe illnesses with nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. Many different viruses, bacteria, or even parasites can cause these symptoms. While vomiting, diarrhea, and being nauseous or "sick to your stomach" can sometimes be related to the flu — particularly in children — these problems are rarely the main symptoms of influenza. The flu is a respiratory infection with symptoms that can affect the entire body and not a stomach or intestinal illness.(13) 3 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Disease and Conditions. Seasonal Flu: Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine. July 16, 2008. Accessed on September 11, 2008. 4 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Disease and Conditions. Seasonal Flu: Season Flu Vaccine. September 8, 2008. Accessed on September 11, 2008. 5 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Disease and Conditions. Seasonal Flu: Cold Versus Flu. September 18, 2006. Accessed on September 11, 2008. 6 National Foundation for Infectious Disease. Influenza for Consumers: Myths. 2006. Accessed on September 11, 2008. 7 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention and Control of Influenza: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. August 8, 2008; 57[RR-7]. 8 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics. National Vital Statistics Report. Deaths: Final Data for 2005. April 24, 2008. Vol 56 No 10. 9 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Disease and Conditions. Seasonal Flu: Key Facts About Seasonal Influenza (Flu). July 16, 2008. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/keyfacts.htm. Accessed on September 11, 2008. 10 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Disease and Conditions. Seasonal Flu: Role of Laboratory Diagnosis of Influenza. September 26, 2006. Accessed on September 11, 2008. 11 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Disease and Conditions. Seasonal Flu: How Flu Spreads. December 6, 2007. Accessed on September 11, 2008. 12 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention and Control of Influenza: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. August 8, 2008; 57[RR-7]. 13 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Disease and Conditions. Seasonal Flu: Misconceptions about Influenza and Influenza Vaccine. July 16, 2008. Accessed on September 11, 2008.
                    2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
                      Got to give the call to your Dr. Right ? Me I got the flu 3 times last year (with a infection thrown in !) so 2plus months of missery and no running ,SUCKED ! My Dr. is super for giving just right amount of meds ,I'm lucky that way .I had just transfered to him within the practice, if your wondering why I didn't get one last year.this year he insits on it for me. I say talk to your Dr. let him(her) judge your risk .

Lia's Daddy

As a middle school teacher with two young children at home, my whole family gets the shot. I feel like it would be irresponsible for me to do otherwise.
                        "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
                        Spencer Davis

As much as i hate getting shots, you gotta do it. The one year i didn't get one i got the flu, which really showed me why those shots are worth it.
                            Does anyone know why the flu is seasonal? Especially since it isn't related to weather. What gives with a mysterious illness that only comes around a few months every year and the same few months at that.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

kcam

How do you know if you've ever had the flu? I'm one of those people that don't get REALLY sick - I can still function normally when I have a cold. I've never gotten the shot and I don't think I've ever had the flu. I probably won't get it this year either( the shot that is). As I get older I may re-evaluate.
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Does anyone know why the flu is seasonal?
                                It is not entirely clear. An interesting article on this - http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/content/full/81/11/5429
                                How do you know if you've ever had the flu?
                                Because if you were ever to get influenza, you would most likely be very sick. If you have never had an illness that manifest as the sudden onset of severe malaise, muscle aches, sore throat, headache and cough, you probably have never had influenza. But that does not mean you will never get it.