Where did it come from? (running related) (Read 330 times)

Birdwell

"Run more, mostly easy, sometimes hard"

It's a phrase I learned here and it has become the foundation for my training.

But who said it first? where did the phrase originate?

Does anyone know or wish to claim it?

mikeymike

It started with food. In any nutrition thread, Trent used to use the quote: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." It's from Michael Pollan's book The Omnivore's Dilemma.

One day I paraphrased it and said "run a lot, mostly easy, sometimes fast."

Trent thought that "run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard" was truer to the original, so started using that version and that's the one that mostly stuck.

Runners run

kk_kittenkat

It started with food. In any nutrition thread, Trent used to use the quote: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." It's from Michael Pollan's book The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Trent thought that "run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard" was truer to the original, so started using that version and that's the one that mostly stuck.

I guess he hasn't read 'Run Less, Run Faster'.

Anyway, it's natural Fartlek which is never a bad thing.

HermosaBoy

Thanks to both you and Trent -- I like how it evolved!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

My apologies to both Mikey & Trent for butchering the quote as well as misattributing it (to SRL), in another thread.

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hope you don't mind it being stated, "Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes fast."  Six words is better than seven, IMO.  And now I suppose I have no excuse for not citing the author, copyright, trademark, patent holder when I repeat it.

beat

Break on through

So many variations are possible...

Run now, not too slow, mostly easy.

Run lots, eat food, mostly sleep.

Run easy, race hard, recover...

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Wing

Joggaholic

Thank you and Trent (and everyone else kept who quoting it) It had served me well for the last few years

some call me Tim

That's funny. This has been my general approach and I've doled it out to several others, but I read so much on training and frequent other sites and such that I didn't remember where I picked it up, and it really gets to the heart of success in training... makes me proud to be a part of this little playground. Thanks, guys Smile

I'm doing OK on the "mostly easy" part..........

MTA: interesting that it evoived from the Omnivore's dilemma- read that not too long ago

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Seems like a JohnM quote from back in the RWOL days.

Running is dumb.

Joann Y

and it really gets to the heart of success in training... makes me proud to be a part of this little playground. Thanks, guys Smile

totally agree! Thanks!

delicate flower

Lord loves a working man.

Don't trust Whitey.

See a doctor, get rid of it.

<3

gone2run

Very funny, Baboon.  That movie is quite comical.

I like your "About me."  I am working on a rebuild.  I am getting there...